Office Space Paint Selection Help - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 204
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Office Space Paint Selection Help

Hi,
I am doing an office this winter. Right now intend on going with California Cal Pro. Why? I and HO like the paint, and it is cheaper than BM Regal Select and better quality than BM Ben. My question is about "Contractor Paints." Are these paints just cheaper paints, or are they designed to be more durable? Does BM make a paint that will be a better fit than California's Cal Pro or its own Regal Select. BTW, I am limited in what I can get easily. Only BM, California, and Pittsburgh are sold in my area, and the store that sells Cal. and Pittsburgh has a very limited selection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

I dont understand hiring a painter then choosing to use a contractor grade paint. Especially for 1 room! Spend the extra $20 and put a paint on there that will actually clean and touch up.
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MIZZOU For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (11-26-2013), WisePainter (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 564
Thanked 1,331 Times in 565 Posts
View MIZZOU's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter
Are these paints just cheaper paints
Yes.
MIZZOU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MIZZOU For This Useful Post:
WisePainter (11-26-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

To me the paint cost is marginal and rarely warrants using the cheap stuff.

My material costs run a little higher than most at an average of 18% but on a smaller job like that labor will be at a minimum charge so materials would be in the 12%-15% range. So, that said, $8 or $28 would mean what, a bump in costs of 1%-2% of the total job cost.

Why would I use Ben when I could spend $10 and get a better product? or $20 and get Aura?

Last edited by Tonyg; 11-26-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonyg For This Useful Post:
Gough (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
My question is about "Contractor Paints." Are these paints just cheaper paints, or are they designed to be more durable?
Yes cheaper paints formulated for "go and blow" projects, not intended for heavy use or abuse.

New construction, or commercial primarily.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 60
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Hi,
I am doing an office this winter. Right now intend on going with California Cal Pro. Why? I and HO like the paint, and it is cheaper than BM Regal Select and better quality than BM Ben. My question is about "Contractor Paints." Are these paints just cheaper paints, or are they designed to be more durable? Does BM make a paint that will be a better fit than California's Cal Pro or its own Regal Select. BTW, I am limited in what I can get easily. Only BM, California, and Pittsburgh are sold in my area, and the store that sells Cal. and Pittsburgh has a very limited selection.
CalPro is actually a really good paint, especially for the price. It's a vinyl acrylic as opposed to the 100% acrylics. Which is why it's cheaper also. In the California line more durable next step up is the Fres-coat or Elements then max durability is Super Scrub.
I really don't know anyone at the BC anymore except for some yard guys and a friend in Essex. But if you need something they don't have they can get it. The California factory is in Andover. If that's not appealing send me a message, I live in Gloucester.
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stonehampaintdept For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 204
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks everyone. I was not looking for cheaper, just trying to get the right paint for the job. Spoke to my California rep and he recommended Super Scrub, which I am working on getting. My hardware store does not carry it.

Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None