One coat simple job vs. full restoration - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56
View 2peterhunter's Photo Album My Photos
Default One coat simple job vs. full restoration

I am curious to what %of work you guys do that is a full heat gun stripped, skim coated and or primed followed by two coats vs. pressurewash quick 5 and 1 scrape and a good coat of paint?
2peterhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2peterhunter View Post
I am curious to what %of work you guys do that is a full heat gun stripped, skim coated and or primed followed by two coats vs. pressurewash quick 5 and 1 scrape and a good coat of paint?
For us, that has flipped from about 90/10 to 1/99. With the aversge age of the crew approaching 66, scraping takes a big toll.
CApainter (01-22-2015), WisePainter (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Are you talking interior or exterior?

Our work is usually either nice simple repaints or full blown strip jobs. I'd say last year was about 50/50. Since we started up 90/10.

We don't use heat guns for any thing, I have a half dozen still sitting in the boxes.
Power tools is what we use inside or out.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
Gough (01-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 5,712
Thanked 15,413 Times in 8,085 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
Are you talking interior or exterior?
Our work is usually either nice simple repaints or full blown strip jobs. I'd say last year was about 50/50. Since we started up 90/10.
We don't use heat guns for any thing, I have a half dozen still sitting in the boxes.
Power tools is what we use inside or out.
Been awhile since I've had to pressure wash an interior job. Thank goodness for having a better class of customers these days which has pretty much gotten us away from needing to do that anymore.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Brian C (01-23-2015), Delta Painting (01-26-2015), DrakeB (01-23-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 PM   #5

So you use power sanders and such? I am talking exterior. Cause I have only really done the simple jobs, sometimes using primers sometimes one or two coats. There are only a few full restores around here.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
Troy

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Been awhile since I've had to pressure wash an interior job. Thank goodness for having a better class of customers these days which has pretty much gotten us away from needing to do that anymore.

Yes, unless there's an overwhelming amount of poo on the walls. Hey, if PWG can PW an interior, so can I.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 40
View two fingers's Photo Album My Photos

Don't forget the rrp rule
two fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
So you use power sanders and such? I am talking exterior. Cause I have only really done the simple jobs, sometimes using primers sometimes one or two coats. There are only a few full restores around here.
Paintshaver is popular with many of us here. Use the search button, brother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:

The skim coating part threw me for a loop. Or it was because I was dead tired last night when I read this and couldn't think straight.

Recently with some of the calls from hoarders we have been getting a good PW inside would help.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #10

Default One coat simple job vs. full restoration

I have searched and read hundreds of threads spending hours every night learning I have never found a more valuable resource. I have only learned trial and error on everything including pricing😬, but heading into summer with 5 employees. Just was talking to an old painter who fell off a ladder and broke his back... Then while in the hospital found out he had cancer.. He said restoration jobs were his favorite so was just checking.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 76
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

I have actually seen someone use a power washer inside on drywall. serious hack. You should have seen the mess he made. Bought the power washer at Home depot so obviously there was no one to tell him not to. He called me to ask how to fix it.
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:49 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,134
Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,486 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proalliance coatings View Post
I have actually seen someone use a power washer inside on drywall. serious hack. You should have seen the mess he made. Bought the power washer at Home depot so obviously there was no one to tell him not to. He called me to ask how to fix it.
That's absolutely insane. I've never ever heard of anyone even considering bringing a pressure washer into a building much less using it on drywall. Wouldn't the minor issue of electricity being present create a bit of an issue? Flooring?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-23-2015), SemiproJohn (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #13
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
That's absolutely insane. I've never ever heard of anyone even considering bringing a pressure washer into a building much less using it on drywall. Wouldn't the minor issue of electricity being present create a bit of an issue? Flooring?
We've used one in NC. It was a hybrid-framed house, timber framed with stick-built infill. It was already for GWB, insukation in, electrical roughed in, etc. the client realized that the timbers were weathered and needed to be bleached. They was 4-mil poly over the Fiberglas insukation, so we went at the frame with Oxalic Acid wood bleach followed by careful PW. Periodically, we'd open the doors and squeegee out the standing water. At the end, we sucked up all the water we could with shop vacs, turned on the heat (10 degrees outside), cracked some windows, and let it dry out for a week or so.

It was a classic case of p.poor planning. One guy could have done the timbers loose in an hour or so before the frame went up.
Wildbill7145 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 11:18 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,134
Thanked 4,509 Times in 2,486 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
We've used one in NC. It was a hybrid-framed house, timber framed with stick-built infill. It was already for GWB, insukation in, electrical roughed in, etc. the client realized that the timbers were weathered and needed to be bleached. They was 4-mil poly over the Fiberglas insukation, so we went at the frame with Oxalic Acid wood bleach followed by careful PW. Periodically, we'd open the doors and squeegee out the standing water. At the end, we sucked up all the water we could with shop vacs, turned on the heat (10 degrees outside), cracked some windows, and let it dry out for a week or so.

It was a classic case of p.poor planning. One guy could have done the timbers loose in an hour or so before the frame went up.
I have to wonder if that would have been a good situation for a few industrial dehumidifiers.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (01-23-2015), Gough (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
wje

Rewards Points: 1,048
Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,228 Posts
View wje's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH

You joke RH, but I kid you not we were on site one day and they pressure washed a basement. Water came up through a few air returns that weren't connected to anything. It was unreal.

wje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
This was on an apartment building that was bought by a friend of mine at a sheriffs auction. It was nasty as hell. Mold,feces,puke you name it. The guy hired some guy off the street to "clean and paint" them dirt cheap. My buddy went to check on the job, and the guy had powerwashed an entire two bedroom unit, then disappeared. Left the powerwasher behind. When I got called down to look at it to see how to fix it, I checked the tip in on the wand and it was a 0deg. The guy was stripping the paper off the gypsum thinking it was old paint or something. Ended up being an entire re-drywall job. An yes, I told my friend he was a dumbass. Actually if I remember right the electric was off to the whole building at the time.
Old 01-23-2015, 01:00 PM   #17

Selling paint in the "slums" of Columbus,Ohio for ten years, I have had the good fortune to see a lot of amazing techniques.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #18

Do most of you guys use peel block on almost every job? Do you always do costs? Talking exterior.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM   #19

Quote:

We are going to look at an interior to power wash. It's a small building. no finished walls just concrete blocks.

Tags
None