Opinions on Certa Pro? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 50
View TopCut's Photo Album My Photos
Default Opinions on Certa Pro?

Hey Guys,

I'm still very new to the painting business and am curious to know what everyone thinks about the Certa Pro model. There was an ad on my local Craigslist that sounds enticing, as my business is still very, very slow.

Does Certa Pro essentially find subs jobs and then just take a cut of the contract as a finder's fee? Is it a good idea for someone like me who is just starting out?

I plan on emailing to find out more, but figured I'd get some opinions from the pros before I take any bait.

Thanks so much!
TopCut is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCut View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm still very new to the painting business and am curious to know what everyone thinks about the Certa Pro model. There was an ad on my local Craigslist that sounds enticing, as my business is still very, very slow.

Does Certa Pro essentially find subs jobs and then just take a cut of the contract as a finder's fee? Is it a good idea for someone like me who is just starting out?

I plan on emailing to find out more, but figured I'd get some opinions from the pros before I take any bait.

Thanks so much!
SORTA Pro ??????

Well Carter Allen on WZLX advertizes them, so they MUST be good

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 5,696
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Enter "Certa Pro" into the advanced version of the search function and a fair amount of past conversations about them will come up. None are too positive.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
daArch (06-22-2015), TopCut (06-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Thanks... I didn't find much but didn't try the advanced option. And yes, what I found wasn't positive but I didn't see much as to why people didn't like working with them.

Could opinion vary from city to city? The local franchise looks alright... but again, I'm open to opinions before I jump in.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

The posts from this guy can fill you in on to the "why." @T200

You can start with what he posted recently here:

https://www.painttalk.com/f4/any-tips...-43018/index2/
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I paint paint For This Useful Post:
Gough (06-22-2015), TopCut (06-23-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Thanks... I didn't find much but didn't try the advanced option. And yes, what I found wasn't positive but I didn't see much as to why people didn't like working with them.

Could opinion vary from city to city? The local franchise looks alright... but again, I'm open to opinions before I jump in.
I do a lot of work behind Certa pro. Right now they are killing it in upstate NY. The franchise owner just started a few years ago and with all the cold temps, flooding and insurance claims he is very very busy. Never had any problems with his work and always keeps a flexible schedule. Very professional. Got to be a regional thing. If I were you I would get certified and just add it to your existing business. I am in the process now but I have been working behind a few insurance companies for a few years now. Started just doing taping, then painting, then moved up to complete remodels Drywall,floors, electrical and carpentry. Next step is the whole package. Fire, water, and restorations. Key here is to get your pricing down. At first I was getting around 99% of the jobs but wasn't leaving enough meat on the bone. Now I only get 50% of my estimates but charge accordingly to cover my overhead and profit margin.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boco For This Useful Post:
TopCut (06-23-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

They came back around here recently. They called me and I straight up said I have busted my ass way to hard for way to long to take steps backwards.

They tried Carly. Of course she damn near fell for their line. She called me and I said I would give up the business before ever taking on Certa pros work.

Paint stores are saying they are to the point they are about to leave town again. I haven't see any of their signs at all.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:15 PM   #8

Top Cut. Try to find a house flipper. That's how we got the ball rolling. Granted our flipper was like a vacuum cleaner buying up houses. We weren't lowest bid either. It took a couple of years to get our name out. Without advertising, a website or really any on line presence we got very busy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
TopCut (06-23-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,094
View GR8painter's Photo Album My Photos

Toughest thing to establish an identity and a reputation. Certa Pro makes an attempt to do that for you, but you're alway better off in the long run doing the groundwork yourself, more rewarding mentally and financially. Those companies are always on shaky ground.
GR8painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:13 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

They aren't cheap. That Certa pro. I've done a few jobs, decent sized, my outfit 100 percent Union underbid them. and my employer isn't into breaking even, he made money.

By coincidence we are following after them right now, a whole building that they do the maintenance turnovers on. Naaah the workmanship there isn't making the broshure either, lol. But they do quote for 'the right money', at the top of the chain anyhow.
I've seen the actual painters though, I can tell. By the time it gets to them that money has been stepped on to the point it ain't the right money for the guy actually doing the work.

Not being a business man. But I'm putting in my two cents. I'd think you adopt Certa Pro's pricing structure. Make that ur rate. Don't work for less. And that kind of a clientele that expects to get quoted that rate, that's who you want to work for. Some people. And also institutions and buildings they expect to be charged, inexpensive scares them. That's who's work you want, I think anyhow.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Damon T (06-24-2015), George Z (06-23-2015), I paint paint (06-22-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Stung all there subs here and the paint suppliers last year. Good luck.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
PACman (06-23-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much!
Because they're all franchises they're all different. The one by me is run by a good honest guy. Pays 40% of the quoted price and tells you to buy whatever you need to get the job done right.

If your considering it at all talk with the owner. If you get red flags from him then chances are the whole franchise is.
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeymanPainter For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (06-23-2015), jprefect (07-04-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 10:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 204
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
They came back around here recently. They called me and I straight up said I have busted my ass way to hard for way to long to take steps backwards.

They tried Carly. Of course she damn near fell for their line. She called me and I said I would give up the business before ever taking on Certa pros work.

Paint stores are saying they are to the point they are about to leave town again. I haven't see any of their signs at all.
I only seen them around here once a out 2 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:52 PM   #14
Freddie Dean

Rewards Points: 84
View fredo's Photo Album My Photos
Default Sorta Pro...that's about right

I have hired CertaPro Subs in a pinch. I spend all morning touching up a large exterior from a CP painter that wouldn't call me back.

In my opinion their business model suggests curbing quality for speed. The model says paint well enough to get by and get paid....speed is key to making a living off of their leads.

All the CP painters I've ever worked with painted exteriors with a 311/411 tip. Just enough paint applied to get the sheen somewhat uniform and then want a check immidiately after completion.

I am probably generalizing I'm sure, but how do you create quality results if the pay doesn't warrant it? Eventually you will cut corners to make it work.

There are REAL GOOD opportunities in chambers of commerce and networking groups. Find ways to market your business and you won't have to worry about the CP rat race. Sell yourself as a quality painter and the phone will ring if you live by your word.

www.dqpainting.com
fredo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredo For This Useful Post:
PACman (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 12:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpainting View Post
Top Cut. Try to find a house flipper. That's how we got the ball rolling. Granted our flipper was like a vacuum cleaner buying up houses. We weren't lowest bid either. It took a couple of years to get our name out. Without advertising, a website or really any on line presence we got very busy.
I'm on the line with one and have my fingers crossed. He passed on my first bid but promises to give me another shot. He said he did 10 houses in 2014 and is already on #7 for 2015.

Bidding is the hardest part of this, I swear.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:33 PM   #16

Quote:
I'm on the line with one and have my fingers crossed. He passed on my first bid but promises to give me another shot. He said he did 10 houses in 2014 and is already on #7 for 2015.

Bidding is the hardest part of this, I swear.
It is to start.

Years ago I would drive around and pass my card to contractors, find the GC on the job site, introduce yourself. I would drive by the project a few times to check progress and hope the GC would see my van. I would write down other builders phone numbers from their sign and call.
The Following User Says Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
Anchors Aweigh Paint (06-27-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 42
View GoTime's Photo Album My Photos

Went to one of their info sessions last year. 45% of the job and I buy paint and sundries? Hell no
GoTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoTime For This Useful Post:
Damon T (06-24-2015), Delta Painting (06-28-2015), PACman (06-24-2015)
Old 06-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 4
View Jay23's Photo Album My Photos

It is a franchise and each franchise is as good as the guy running it. Your decision should be viewed as a marketing investment for your business. The home office will generate work for you and provide marketing at a price of course. As for teaching you the business, how to bid, hire subs and deal with everyday problems...those luxuries are left for YOU the owner. I have seen others buy franchised markets thinking the business was turn key like a DD or subway sandwich shop only to struggle with the duties of trying to run a profitable paint company. If you know the business, great marketing investment. If your looking for someone to solve your problems...waste of money.
Jay23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay23 For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (06-28-2015)
Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 70
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Certa Pro Painting= sorta know painting.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:02 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 272
View jprefect's Photo Album My Photos

I would work as a sub before I went into their franchise. The guys around my area complained that the cut was too small, and they could be on the hook to finish the job in an unrealistic amount of time. Maybe they were putting "too much" quality in, but if Journeyman is correct, then 40% just doesn't sound like enough to me. Heck, I want to get a 40% profit when it's my business.

That being said, do you want a Certa sign out front of your job, or your own? They might steer you some jobs, but you're not really building your reputation while you're doing their work. It is tough to get started, but it's easier than it was in '07 when I started. Take your time, do a good job, and get your estimates right.

GOOD LUCK!
jprefect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None