OPINIONS on Corotech® Clear Acrylic Sealer V027 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By EveryDay
  • 1 Post By EveryDay
  • 1 Post By EveryDay

Old 03-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 314
View EveryDay's Photo Album My Photos
Default OPINIONS on Corotech® Clear Acrylic Sealer V027

Sounds like a very interesting product.
Wonder if there are any members who used it and have feedback on it.

http://benjaminmoore.pl/en/our-produ...aler-v027.html

http://benjaminmoore.pl/pub/uploaddo...en_12_2018.pdf

Waterborne, transparent acrylic priming agent for reinforcement and priming
gypsum surfaces and mineral plasters as well as protection of decorative
effects, acrylic plasters and paint layer in interior and exterior environments. Semi-gloss.

It's excellent solution for protection of wall decorative effect (interior and exterior application).
Moreover product can be tinted to achieve a special kind of glaze.
Primer can also be used in form of lacquer on vertical wooden substrates in interiors.
Attached Thumbnails
-corotech-v027-clear-acrylic-sealer.jpg  

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,254
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Seems it may be BM's answer to Plaster- Weld, although Plaster- Weld is not recommended for exterior applications. http://www.larsenproducts.com/plaster-weld-2/
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,167
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Interesting. Kind of sounds like "Gardz". I wonder how well it sands, considering they are advertising that it can act as a type of lacquer top coat..? Sounds pretty cool though..

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
Seems it may be BM's answer to Plaster- Weld, although Plaster- Weld is not recommended for exterior applications. http://www.larsenproducts.com/plaster-weld-2/
Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Interesting. Kind of sounds like "Gardz". I wonder how well it sands, considering they are advertising that it can act as a type of lacquer top coat..? Sounds pretty cool though..

That's why I'm intrigued by it.
It has some interesting properties-abilities, (at least on paper).
As to the interior/exterior usage sometimes I'm thinking that specifically dedicated products might be of better quality than 'do it all' products.
But who knows in this case.Might perform great on interiors and exteriors.

I'm going to get a gallon in next few days and try it on pieces of wood, plywood and some MDF bare and factory primed trims
to see how it sands and if it has strong smell, tho they claim that is:
"Coating features easy application, high durability, low-odor, low VOC content, rapid dry and is blister,
alkali fume and fade resistant. Does not lift conventional coatings."

I also like this aspect of it:
"Product reduces of topcoat consumption (saving time and money),
equalizes and reduces substrate's absorption, reinforces the substrate, ensure excellent adhesion."
finishesbykevyn and Brushman4 like this.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,254
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post

The word is that "Gardz" was originally developed as a concrete sealer.
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #6

..and of course I'm going to try it on bare and mudded drywall
Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,167
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
..and of course I'm going to try it on bare and mudded drywall
Let us know how it works out..

finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:13 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,440
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

I havn't used this my self. Its a water thinned low viscosity and low solids (penetrating) acrylic sealer. Similar to Guardz I guess. In regards to using it as a 'lacquer' they mean it can be used as a standalone clear coat, this product does have a nice sheen to it unlike guardz. BM doesn't recommend it for total exterior use as a replacement for a dedicated masonry or acrylic primer and when used over existing coatings the previous coat must be fully cured 30+ days. Also inexpensive ~$20/gallon.

I think the most interesting use case would be to use it as a sacrificial clear coat.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 03-26-2019 at 10:21 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
I havn't used this my self. Its a water thinned low viscosity and low solids (penetrating) acrylic sealer. Similar to Guardz I guess. In regards to using it as a 'lacquer' they mean it can be used as a standalone clear coat, this product does have a nice sheen to it unlike guardz. BM doesn't recommend it for total exterior use as a replacement for a dedicated masonry or acrylic primer and when used over existing coatings the previous coat must be fully cured 30+ days. Also inexpensive ~$20/gallon.

I think the most interesting use case would be to use it as a sacrificial clear coat.
Thank you.
That was my red flag when I was inquiring about it, very low cost.
But I ordered a gallon anyway to try it, mostly over new construction drywall and perhaps spot priming/sealing drywall repair patches
and over cheap contractors flat paint if painting over it with eggshell.
How is the smell/stink factor?
Old 03-27-2019, 12:11 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

I’m curious if it has the same strong smell as Guardz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:52 PM   #11

AND THE WINNER IS
Corotech® Clear Acrylic Sealer V027

OK, upon opening the gallon the smell was much-much less than GARDZ.
I would say GARDZ stinks 3 to 4 times stronger, it stinks!!, and the stinking smell of GARDZ stays long in the room.
Last year I put a coat of GARDZ on a (never painted) ceiling in small office room in a very nice condo, left big balcony door open ?10 inches or so and couple of small windows open 4-6 inches, it was late summer time, nice warm weather, came next day and the room was still stinking, I was so angry because I didn't want to have such strong long lasting smell in that room.
Good that I put big towel on the outside of the door so the smell didn't get drafted into the living room.
I painted that ceiling two coats BM yellow label. I have to say GARDZ did very nice job on a very shallow never painted popcorn,
but the stinky smell disqualified it from using it again in occupied residentials.
Something nasty about that smell.

OK, now to the New Sherif in Town the Corotech® Clear Acrylic Sealer V027, same as G milky look to it, very low odor, applies by brush very nicely.
I did (by small roller) 2'x2' section on a piece of drywall, (no drywall mud patches on it), just plain drywall. Went very nice.
Also put on a 14"x14" piece of nice plywood by brush. And on piece of MDF baseboard factory primed, put it on both sides, bare and primed sides.
So far very impressed with it mainly because it doesn't have that strong nasty stink like G has. It does have some "ammonia" like smell to it but very-very low.
In next few days when I get a chance I will make piece of drywall with Dust Control mud patches on it and after 24 hrs of drying I will sand it, dusted off, wipe off with damp micro cloth and prime it with CCAS-V027 to test if it sticks to DustControl mud.

Dries to touch in 1 hour to recoat in two hours. Great plus.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:54 PM   #12

FOR THOSE WHO GIVE A DAMN.
Undisputed winner, Corotech® Clear Acrylic Sealer V027

Green painters tape test.
PROCEDURE:
V027 was applied by roller on a patch of Dust Controll drywall mud that dried overnight, for 14 hours, was lightly sanded, vacummed, and wiped off with damped micro-cloth, (same procedure I use on customers walls).
After 90 minutes on top of Dust Control drywall mud (sealed with V027) three green painters tape samples were (literally) ripped Off and they came Off like champs without taking with them any of the VO27 from the Dust Control mud.

GARDZ lost in two categories.
1).Stinks like Devils a$$.
2).Doesn't stick to Dust Control drywall mud.

I'm doing picture related now -- celebrating this event, so I hope I'm not going to post anything "edgy" in the next few hours so I don't get banned.lol
If I don't post anything in next 24 hours that means I was banned. So what...
Oh well... my job is done here anyway.
I shared how to store paint covered brushes and roller sleeves and reduce throwing out plastic from wrapping those sleeves and brushes...and now this... Clear Acrylic sealer from Corotech V027.
The rest is just ...rambling and posting links from google...

"Storing paint covered brushes and roller sleeves."
https://www.painttalk.com/f2/storing...sleeves-93457/
Attached Thumbnails
-bottle-champagne-exploding.jpg  

futtyos likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,820
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Play well

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
FOR THOSE WHO GIVE A DAMN.
Undisputed winner, Corotech® Clear Acrylic Sealer V027

Green painters tape test.
PROCEDURE:
V027 was applied by roller on a patch of Dust Controll drywall mud that dried overnight, for 14 hours, was lightly sanded, vacummed, and wiped off with damped micro-cloth, (same procedure I use on customers walls).
After 90 minutes on top of Dust Control drywall mud (sealed with V027) three green painters tape samples were (literally) ripped Off and they came Off like champs without taking with them any of the VO27 from the Dust Control mud.

GARDZ lost in two categories.
1).Stinks like Devils a$$.
2).Doesn't stick to Dust Control drywall mud.

I'm doing picture related now -- celebrating this event, so I hope I'm not going to post anything "edgy" in the next few hours so I don't get banned.lol
If I don't post anything in next 24 hours that means I was banned. So what...
Oh well... my job is done here anyway.
I shared how to store paint covered brushes and roller sleeves and reduce throwing out plastic from wrapping those sleeves and brushes...and now this... Clear Acrylic sealer from Corotech V027.
The rest is just ...rambling and posting links from google...

"Storing paint covered brushes and roller sleeves."
https://www.painttalk.com/f2/storing...sleeves-93457/
ED, please don't do something to get yourself banned. You have have made some very interesting posts and comments and I would like se read more of them in the future.

Just remember to try and play well with the other children.....I mean painters.

futtyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,022
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post

As a protective clearcoat the specs say the topcoat has to fully cure before applying it. That's 30 days for most acrylics. impractical.

oops...just noticed you mentioned that.

It's ridiculous that you can't delete posts in here.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 04-05-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None