Order of events-exterior - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View Pete's Painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Order of events-exterior

Just wondering what the consensus is from other painters on their order of events when doing exteriors.

In the past I have had different sides of the house at different stages. For example, on a house that was in bad shape I would want to get the prep work done and the primer on the bare wood as quickly as possible on one side so if it did rain I could start the top coats on days where working on bare wood is iffy.

I've seen some painters only work on one side at a time and others who are at all different stages.

Efficiency is an issue when moving ladders or equipment around, and so is switching back and forth between paints, scrapers/sanders etc. But so is not being able to work at all when bare wood is wet. Primed wood may only need a bit of sunlight and you can continue work.
Pete's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
The Lurker

Rewards Points: 2,000
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete's Painting View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is from other painters on their order of events when doing exteriors.

In the past I have had different sides of the house at different stages. For example, on a house that was in bad shape I would want to get the prep work done and the primer on the bare wood as quickly as possible on one side so if it did rain I could start the top coats on days where working on bare wood is iffy.

I've seen some painters only work on one side at a time and others who are at all different stages.

Efficiency is an issue when moving ladders or equipment around, and so is switching back and forth between paints, scrapers/sanders etc. But so is not being able to work at all when bare wood is wet. Primed wood may only need a bit of sunlight and you can continue work.
We have always done one side at a time, all tho doing rough cedar lap siding prep is usually minimal. I did have one last year where the south side had to be oil primed and two coated. it did take two separate setups to complete that side.

We try and minimize the ladder, plank setups to save time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #3

View Pete's Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I think the size of the house has something to do with it also.
Pete's Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #4

View Brush and Roller's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior bare wood

I know painters that prime within a few hours after a storm ends, and some that wait for a couple days. Is there a rule of thumb on drying time for bare wood exterior repaints?
Brush and Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

i could foresee scarping and spot priming that side as you go,,,,,,

have em bring the scrapers and cut pot right up the ladder with them,,,,,why would you want to send em up there twice??

throw a rag over the top of the cut pot so chips arent falling in

i dont always prime as i scrape,,,,,,,but it sure would beat setting up a ladder and climbing up it once for each process

if theres a LOT of scraping, ill powerwash, scrape the whole place, and powerwash again

the grey wood fibers under all of those scraped area need to be made clean and brite so they will hold paint,,,,
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None