Osha regulations - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando area
Posts: 253
Rewards Points: 308
Thanks: 10
Thanked 139 Times in 76 Posts
View the paintman's Photo Album My Photos
Default Osha regulations

I have a safety/osha question. I admit I should know more about osha safety regulations. And I don't even know if they vary from state to state. I'm in Florida. Does anyone really know what osha requires as far as fall protection in a scissor lift? And in a boom lift? I have heard conflicting answers.
We did a public job in 2010, (arena) where we were strictly forbidden from being on any scissor lift without being harnessed. That same month we were on a retail new construction site. Where the super had stated no harness ( according to osha) is required in a scisssor lift. And backed it by stating he had 100 hours of osha classes. And he stated that you did in a boom lift. His questimate was that it was the Prime Contractors requirment on the areana job demanding we wear harnesses on all lifts. And not osha's.
We have 4 lifts on a job now (2 scissors and 2 booms) and I have an ongoing debate with one of my guys in the lift who does not want to wear it of course. I don't want a fine and I told him to save his tax return check. I have warned him. He may need it. Anybody?

Thanks in advance.
the paintman is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,212
Rewards Points: 1,564
Thanks: 11,180
Thanked 9,579 Times in 5,439 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the paintman View Post
I have a safety/osha question. I admit I should know more about osha safety regulations. And I don't even know if they vary from state to state. I'm in Florida. Does anyone really know what osha requires as far as fall protection in a scissor lift? And in a boom lift? I have heard conflicting answers.
We did a public job in 2010, (arena) where we were strictly forbidden from being on any scissor lift without being harnessed. That same month we were on a retail new construction site. Where the super had stated no harness ( according to osha) is required in a scisssor lift. And backed it by stating he had 100 hours of osha classes. And he stated that you did in a boom lift. His questimate was that it was the Prime Contractors requirment on the areana job demanding we wear harnesses on all lifts. And not osha's.
We have 4 lifts on a job now (2 scissors and 2 booms) and I have an ongoing debate with one of my guys in the lift who does not want to wear it of course. I don't want a fine and I told him to save his tax return check. I have warned him. He may need it. Anybody?

Thanks in advance.
I just recently completed certification in California, and I'm certain the trainer said mandatory fall protection in the boom lift but not mandatory in the scissor lift. The boom has the tendency to catapult an operator if he/she binds the boom on something.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
"Member"
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,719
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanks: 5,401
Thanked 5,705 Times in 3,060 Posts
View NEPS.US's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Do you really want the risk of guys working without it?

Sounds like common sense.

Go take the OSHA 30 or numerous safety classes, including fift safety here: http://www.affordablesafetytraining....FQRN4Aod9z1lIA
NEPS.US is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NEPS.US For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (02-10-2012), Wolfgang (02-10-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando area
Posts: 253
Rewards Points: 308
Thanks: 10
Thanked 139 Times in 76 Posts
View the paintman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I just recently completed certification in California, and I'm certain the trainer said mandatory fall protection in the boom lift but not mandatory in the scissor lift. The boom has the tendency to catapult an operator if he/she binds the boom on something.
That makes sense now that you mention it. Not only that. I have been in some less than smooth ones that tend to swing or drop to fast and the older ones don't operate all that smooth compared to a new ones. And can toss you around in the bucket. Where as a scissor in contrast just goes up and down. Even though I still don't see how you can fall out. Its better to err on the side of safety. I have no problem getting them to wear a harness in a boom lift.
the paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,745
Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanks: 1,140
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I don't no the work situation in Orlando but in Philly rt now u don't want to get kiked off a job for sum thin as stupid as refusing to wear a harness wether its caus of OSHA, insurance, mmm the general just says so whatever. I'm goin to Disney in 2 wks can't wait dude u live in a nice climate for February.i wouldn't mind workin on a warm lift with a harness come to think of it.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 519
Rewards Points: 294
Thanks: 412
Thanked 204 Times in 149 Posts
View Northwest_painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

OSHA requires a full Body harness and you must be tied off at least one lanyard hooked to the proper anchor point. hope that helps.
Northwest_painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Paintist
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 719
Rewards Points: 506
Thanks: 336
Thanked 297 Times in 190 Posts
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

There are OSHA rules and site rules. Site rules can exceed OSHA. My current site is harness in booms but no harness required in scissors. It is a conservative site so I'm pretty sure OSHA doesn't require harness on scissors or else we would be required to on this site. If in doubt, be safe. That's the whole idea here.
__________________
Andy
Andyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyman For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (02-10-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,212
Rewards Points: 1,564
Thanks: 11,180
Thanked 9,579 Times in 5,439 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I asked my instructor if hard hats were mandatory in a boom or scissor lift, and she informed me that they weren't. Regardless, I use fall protection and hard hats in both.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
PatsPainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,840
Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanks: 1,785
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I wonder if this method Meets the OSHA requirements?

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Osha regulations-scary-ladder2.jpg  

__________________
Quote:
Have fun with it you clownshoe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
CajunDavid (02-11-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
PinheadsUnite
 
daArch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: almost there
Posts: 30,724
Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanks: 13,929
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default

yes Pat, for you that's OK. OSHA has ruled that you need not be regulated, it knows how it upsets you.



__________________
"Glazed Donuts Are the Building Blocks of the Universe"

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
PatsPainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,840
Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanks: 1,785
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
yes Pat, for you that's OK. OSHA has ruled that you need not be regulated, it knows how it upsets you.
You're not upset by the Celtics loosing in overtime tonight are you? Yep that would be the Lakers who ended their 5 game winning streak

Pat
__________________
Quote:
Have fun with it you clownshoe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:16 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando area
Posts: 253
Rewards Points: 308
Thanks: 10
Thanked 139 Times in 76 Posts
View the paintman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPainting View Post
I wonder if this method Meets the OSHA requirements?

Pat
Holy Crap Pat! That guy has Really Big Ones. Now I have also been known to cheat and put a ladder in a bucket on occasion. For a sec to reach a hard spot. With a second man holding. But nothing even remotly that crazy. I'm talking a step ladder and maybe one time a very short extension. That appears to be a 24' extended all the way out. My question is, "is he still stuck on that Hot wire"? There aint enough money.
the paintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
PinheadsUnite
 
daArch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: almost there
Posts: 30,724
Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanks: 13,929
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPainting View Post
You're not upset by the Celtics loosing in overtime tonight are you? Yep that would be the Lakers who ended their 5 game winning streak

Pat
the Celts had a 5 game win streak? Good for them.

was never a basketball fan. But thanks for the update. All I know is that Paul Pierce surpassed Bird's total points the other night.

Where was the game? Garden or Staples?

Now the Bruins.... they are in a tailspin. One of the best goalies in the league can't understand that public figures are going to be asked about facebook posts. He figures he can keep his personal life personal yet at the same time post politics on FB and NOT be asked about it by the media.

I don't have a very good feeling about his concentration.


Oh well, no one ever accused many hockey players of being overly intelligent - well except for Ken Dryden



__________________
"Glazed Donuts Are the Building Blocks of the Universe"

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
CApainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,212
Rewards Points: 1,564
Thanks: 11,180
Thanked 9,579 Times in 5,439 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

This thread is veering in the wrong direction.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: baltimore md.
Posts: 1,103
Rewards Points: 508
Thanks: 124
Thanked 443 Times in 298 Posts
View wills fresh coat's Photo Album My Photos
Default

who is the boss? if i tell my guy to do something,they do it..... right, wrong or indifferent.....if not they will get a day off or two
wills fresh coat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wills fresh coat For This Useful Post:
CajunDavid (02-11-2012)
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 519
Rewards Points: 294
Thanks: 412
Thanked 204 Times in 149 Posts
View Northwest_painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills fresh coat View Post
who is the boss? if i tell my guy to do something,they do it..... right, wrong or indifferent.....if not they will get a day off or two
Sorry I have worked for idiots with a attitude like yours who have told me to do something I knew was wrong and unsafe! And you just summed up why I work for myself I have never been job scared and have told foremen to stick it when they have told me to do something dumb and unsafe and have walked off the Job.
Northwest_painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: baltimore md.
Posts: 1,103
Rewards Points: 508
Thanks: 124
Thanked 443 Times in 298 Posts
View wills fresh coat's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest_painter View Post
Sorry I have worked for idiots with a attitude like yours who have told me to do something I knew was wrong and unsafe! And you just summed up why I work for myself I have never been job scared and have told foremen to stick it when they have told me to do something dumb and unsafe and have walked off the Job.
(removed by mod)

Last edited by RCP; 02-10-2012 at 06:31 PM..
wills fresh coat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSHA and you Mandrake Workplace Safety 25 01-11-2013 10:31 AM
OSHA Classes NEPS.US Workplace Safety 13 12-22-2010 07:37 PM
Osha NEPS.US Workplace Safety 1 01-10-2010 06:38 PM
Who has been inspected by OSHA??? Safety Guy Workplace Safety 18 01-18-2008 02:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com