Pac man loves Sherwin Williams - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos
Default Pac man loves Sherwin Williams

I just can't help it.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Well, when they burn you, and the customers that walk in the store I could see some hate brewing
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 34
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

I love Sherwin Williams! I just have to re-think things! When customers call me to figure out what their paint problems are and buy paint from me, that's a good thing. I just have to stop taking it personally when i hear people bitch about how Walmart and Home depot ran all of the local business out and I realize that SW has done the same thing by flooding the country with under utilized and not needed stores only to close down the local competition. Once they are gone, the SW store reigns supreme! They can overcharge for paint and get as crappy on the service side as they want! The only options for paint that 90% of the people in this country have is Wally world or Home depot. Can't go to Lowe's anymore because you get bombarded with SW marketing as soon as you walk into the paint department! Once people get pissed of at SW,HD, and Lowe's, locally I am the only real alternative! And a very large number of people around here have had it with those three so I just have to keep on keepin on so to speak.

Word is getting out locally that I'm here and I have better service and better quality products at reasonable and sometimes better pricing.

But anyhow thanks for your concern! lol.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
daArch (12-08-2015), journeymanPainter (12-08-2015), SemiproJohn (12-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

Delete please

Last edited by Painter-Aaron; 12-08-2015 at 01:25 PM..
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Not to mention the thousands of dollars of paint the donate to a charity I work for without hesitation
Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter-Aaron View Post
My sherwin Williams store had hands down the best customer service around. Even when I didn't bring in as much money they treated me well.
Yesterday I show up to a job to clear some stairs and stringers. They way it was installed I couldn't do it in place but I have nowhere else to do it.

So I call my sherwin store and they are letting me use a corner of there store to clear the treads.
Benjamin Moore and anywhere else would have said no without even thinking about it.
I think it has more to do with the paint rep/ store staff that let you do that. I bet if the sherwin bigwigs heard you were painting your stuff in their store, some people would be getting fired.

I have had good and bad with all the paint stores. PPG, SW and BM. I don't shop at HD and wallymart for paint. Just seems wrong and unprofessional IMO.
Gracobucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gracobucks For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (12-18-2015), PACman (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
I think it has more to do with the paint rep/ store staff that let you do that. I bet if the sherwin bigwigs heard you were painting your stuff in their store, some people would be getting fired.

I have had good and bad with all the paint stores. PPG, SW and BM. I don't shop at HD and wallymart for paint. Just seems wrong and unprofessional IMO.
In reality SW isn't a big fan of letting people do stuff like that. They are self insured so if anything happened they would be paying out the nose for it. That's also why they are not allowed to store paint that's been invoiced without division approval. I've seen guys fired for that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Gracobucks (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,440
Thanked 9,568 Times in 5,430 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAC
Once people get pissed of at SW,HD, and Lowe's, locally I am the only real alternative! And a very large number of people around here have had it with those three so I just have to keep on keepin on so to speak.
PAC,

I don't understand why you're so angry. You've got new customers!
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #9

Paint store service quality absolutely revolves around the people who are in the store. The key factor is if they take personal accountability for their actions. But the less competition they have, they feel less and less need to be accountable because there is no where else to go.

Usually SW stores are held up to a much higher standard in areas where there is a PPG contractor store. But those are few and far between in some areas of the country. Also in small markets SW may retain more older and long term employees that may have marginal performance reviews just to keep some continuity in the community and not piss off the locals. Small towns you know!

Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
PAC,

I don't understand why you're so angry. You've got new customers!
I get frustrated because of just what I posted yesterday. But I am more than happy to take their more discerning customers.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Not to mention the thousands of dollars of paint the donate to a charity I work for without hesitation
Every store actually has a budget for charity donations. It is based on the previous years sales. If any of the store managers don't know what that dollar amount is or how to look it up on their P&L report I could show them.

The districts have the same thing for larger donations and at their discretion they can "share" all or part of it with the stores in that district. It's a pretty good system and does get them some good will from the community when they do it.

Unfortunately using that budget up does effect the store managers bonus, so many store managers don't do it.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #12

I don't want anyone getting fired so can a mod please delete My posts? @Gough ?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #13

I know stores vary in customer service but it's important to see that there are lots of good ones. It's east to say we have great service and product but when you grow that big it is inevitable there will be some bad apples in thr company
Old 12-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
I know stores vary in customer service but it's important to see that there are lots of good ones. It's east to say we have great service and product but when you grow that big it is inevitable there will be some bad apples in thr company
That's why it can be nice to find a more local company when you can. But that's pretty much impossible now.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
That's why it can be nice to find a more local company when you can. But that's pretty much impossible now.
The local company here screwed me. They refereed me to jobs that was beyond my company at the time.. hell maybe even now. And after I spent hours quoting it I was told by the rep that referred me that it wasn't going to be me doing the job.
It was just to look good by sending me a referral.
I try my best to go local but sometimes you have to go where the customer service is.
I totally get where you are coming from with the problems at Sherwin. And I know some of the inside politics and I'm not a huge fan. But at the end of the day they are a huge corporation that needs to have strict policies otherwise without the consistency it wouldn't run as smooth
Old 12-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
The local company here screwed me. They refereed me to jobs that was beyond my company at the time.. hell maybe even now. And after I spent hours quoting it I was told by the rep that referred me that it wasn't going to be me doing the job.
It was just to look good by sending me a referral.
I try my best to go local but sometimes you have to go where the customer service is.
I totally get where you are coming from with the problems at Sherwin. And I know some of the inside politics and I'm not a huge fan. But at the end of the day they are a huge corporation that needs to have strict policies otherwise without the consistency it wouldn't run as smooth
You sure your price wasn't too high to get the job and not that the rep just sent you out to waste your time? I find it hard to believe that a rep would waste your time and the clients time just to make himself look good. The client must of had a few quotes and went with someone else. Not the reps fault. SW and PPG referred me lots of time where I have spent time quoting the job and not getting them. BM on the other hand has never referred me because they want you to pay them for the refers.
Gracobucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post
You sure your price wasn't too high to get the job and not that the rep just sent you out to waste your time? I find it hard to believe that a rep would waste your time and the clients time just to make himself look good. The client must of had a few quotes and went with someone else. Not the reps fault. SW and PPG referred me lots of time where I have spent time quoting the job and not getting them. BM on the other hand has never referred me because they want you to pay them for the refers.
It was a massive job I spent 2.5 hrs in the beginning of winter quoting it for thr spring.
I goto the rep and ask what product I should use (as it was a lot of staining and I wasn't to familiar with their stains) before I write the quote up.
And he looks at me and says and I quote.
"Aaron, it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day, I don't think it will be you who gets the job"

To be fair he did refer me to another profitable one I got but what I am writing here is just the tip of the ice burg about the problems I have had there
Old 12-08-2015, 04:29 PM   #18

Quote:
It was a massive job I spent 2.5 hrs in the beginning of winter quoting it for thr spring.
I goto the rep and ask what product I should use (as it was a lot of staining and I wasn't to familiar with their stains) before I write the quote up.
And he looks at me and says and I quote.
"Aaron, it doesn't matter, because at the end of the day, I don't think it will be you who gets the job"

To be fair he did refer me to another profitable one I got but what I am writing here is just the tip of the ice burg about the problems I have had there
That stinks. I wouldn't buy a damn thing from them either!

Old 12-08-2015, 09:31 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

At the end of the day, every single manufacturer has its strengths and weaknesses. I just can't help baiting pm cuz he just makes it so dang easy. Lolol...sorry
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
CApainter (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 09:56 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic
At the end of the day, every single manufacturer has its strengths and weaknesses. I just can't help baiting pm cuz he just makes it so dang easy. Lolol...sorry
See to a extent I think they are all the same.
Chevy-Ford
Economy, midsize, full size......each line is compatible to the other
You got ur zealots, the guy with the Chevy emblem tattooed on his neck.....good for him.

All in all I'd just assume deal with sherwin, mostly because they got stores everywhere. Availability. And their product is as good as any other, so? Why go out of ur way? Why be a zealot?
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (12-08-2015)

Tags
None