Paint changes color when wet? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Cajunmarc's Photo Album My Photos
Default Paint changes color when wet?

I installed a new front porch on someones house and primed and sealed it with a dark green oil based paint. When water puddles on the floor, that spot changes color. After a day of drying, it reverts back to the original color. Can anyone explain why this is happening? I don't know what to tell the homeowner. The sherwin williams manager can't explain it? Help!
Cajunmarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #2
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunmarc View Post
I installed a new front porch on someones house and primed and sealed it with a dark green oil based paint. When water puddles on the floor, that spot changes color. After a day of drying, it reverts back to the original color. Can anyone explain why this is happening? I don't know what to tell the homeowner. The sherwin williams manager can't explain it? Help!

If it goes back,why are you worried about it?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos

Tell them it's a wet weather faux finish and that will cost more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think of a fair price as one that puts my kids through private school and offers value to the homeowner... -Pressure Pros
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75
View BMDealer's Photo Album My Photos

This also happens on interior furniture. Sometimes when you leave a glass on a table it will leave a cloudy ring because of the moisture, then go away once dry.

I agree with the above, if it goes away there shouldn't be a real issue. I would also think that once the oil has more time to cure the surface will become harder so the problem may go away by itself in time.
BMDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Ya, just moisture. Like the above post said. Moisture get trapped behind causing staining. It will eventually leave a permanent stain if it is continuously getting puddles. It may also begin to pop off, sense oil base is not that breathable and not designed to handle puddleing, not many coatings can handle that. Check the perm rating, should be on the product data sheet. Materials with high Perm levels will allow more moisture or water vapor to pass through than those with lower Perm values. If it were my job I would want to find out too. And it great to see you trying to find out what it is. Many contractors wouldn't give it the time a day. Only to find the problem is getting worse. Moisture is a big cause to many failures. I would jut tell the HO to keep an eye on it and if it looks like its getting worse to call you back. If it were to get worse, the fix would in tale, scraping and sanding the effected areas reprime and recoat. You may want to reconsider using that product for floors that are in the natural elements of the weather and that has a higher perm rating.
You can read this to learn more about perms.
http://www.omnova.com/products/wallC...perm_test.aspx
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (11-20-2009)
Old 11-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

All of the above: Also if there is pooling water, these spots will stay darker for longer, even after the water dries on the surface. Like above, the wood behind the paint get wet and keeps the back side of the paint wet.Now if this freezes in the winter the paint will pop up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos

When you say "change color" do you mean it gets darker. I was thinking about this today and my thoughts were everything gets darker when its wet.

I think of a fair price as one that puts my kids through private school and offers value to the homeowner... -Pressure Pros
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25
View Connecticut Painters's Photo Album My Photos

Did you use stain or paint on the porch
Connecticut Painters
Connecticut Painters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Latex, IMO, has many times become lighter when surface has been wetted. Go test some walls and see if it happens to a number of them. Darker colors are affected the most.

I don't know if it's the quality of latex or the brand. But I have noticed it less with 100% acrylics.

One of my painting buddies told a story about painting a house with a darker shade than before. After one of the first rain storms following application, the HO called and said the rain washed the paint off. By the time he got to inspect it, the siding had dried and the color was back to normal.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
hopeless perfectionist

Rewards Points: 156
View Picky Painter's Photo Album My Photos

This phenomenon isn't limited to paint work. Take a spray bottle of authentic leather conditioner and spray it all over your leather car seats. As it runs down the vertical surfaces it will leave lighter looking drip lines in the leather finish coating, which is a urethane product. After the excess has been buffed off and everything dries the lines disappear.
Picky Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:23 PM   #11
OBP

Rewards Points: 25
View Outback Painting's Photo Album My Photos

It could also be because the product hasn't dried well enough to begin with, how's the weather temp where you are? You may need to check out a product that works down to 35 degrees to make sure it will dry, especially if it is going to be exposed to water constantly.
Outback Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:20 AM   #12
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

It is called blushing
I have experienced this on not fully cured paints with an oil component. They take longer to dry. But honestly oil paint may not have been the best choice for a porch in the first place. I would make sure it cured a good 2 weeks before getting too much moisture. On a porch I would use a broom or squeegee to remove water after rain.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamicontract View Post
Haven't seen your byline for almost a month, Tsunami. Missed you. Welcome back. Hope your away time was pleasant and profitable

"Are we having fun yet"
Old 11-29-2009, 12:42 AM   #14
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Haven't seen your byline for almost a month, Tsunami. Missed you. Welcome back. Hope your away time was pleasant and profitable
Haha Thanks! Quite the opposite tho, I started college. Turns out its very expensive.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,474
Thanked 9,573 Times in 5,434 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The color change could be due to the reflectivity of the water. Also, temperature differentials of the water may cause color change.

Here's a link that may be interesting, but is not absolute.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 PM   #16
PinheadsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunamicontract View Post
Haha Thanks! Quite the opposite tho, I started college. Turns out its very expensive.
good luck to ya. Yah, I just started paying for college this fall. I hear you. Hope you're enjoying it and doing as well as my son.

Which college?

"Are we having fun yet"

Tags
None