Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

This painter ruined some new laminate today!

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  TJ Paint 
#1 ·
Help.......I had a few drops of Cover Stain leak through some lightweight drops on a new laminate counter top in a kitchen where I was painting some cabinets. Didn't think it would come off with a thumbnail so I dobbed on some Goof-off. Anyway, dummy me, now the counter top has several DULL spots that need attention or else I will be buying customer's new kitchen counter tops.

Anyone know of any tricks of the trade to help in this situation? I'm pretty sure nothing is gonna work, but, I thought some of you may have a suggestion/idea. Thanks for listening. Now, i will go jump off the nearest bridge.

#10 ·
Help.......I had a few drops of Cover Stain leak through some lightweight drops on a new laminate counter top in a kitchen where I was painting some cabinets. Didn't think it would come off with a thumbnail so I dobbed on some Goof-off. Anyway, dummy me, now the counter top has several DULL spots that need attention or else I will be buying customer's new kitchen counter tops.

Anyone know of any tricks of the trade to help in this situation? I'm pretty sure nothing is gonna work, but, I thought some of you may have a suggestion/idea. Thanks for listening. Now, i will go jump off the nearest bridge.
When you say laminate counter top, are you referring to something like Formica? Back in the day, lacquer thinner was used to clean Formica glue from the new tops and never dulled the top.

#12 ·
When you say laminate counter top, are you referring to something like Formica? Back in the day, lacquer thinner was used to clean Formica glue from the new tops and never dulled the top.
That would have been a light wipe with the lacquer thinner. I'm suspecting that Gymschu may have have poured on the Goof Off and scrubbed it a bit too much.
Could be, Paul. And what's up with the denatured alcohol suggestion for Coverstain? :blink:

#11 ·
[quote=slinger58;432851]When you say laminate counter top, are you referring to something like Formica? Back in the day, lacquer thinner was used to clean Formica glue from the new tops and never dulled the top.[/quote]

That would have been a light wipe with the lacquer thinner. I'm suspecting that Gymschu may have have poured on the Goof Off and scrubbed it a bit too much.

#28 ·
cdaniels said:
Man that sucks big time hope you don't have to replace them .It happened and your you're going to make it right whatever it takes and that's what counts.There has only been one perfect man (he was a carpenter) the rest of us make mistakes the content of our character is shown by how we handle them.
Hey, maybe that carpenter did a little painting on his work too! Ya never know, but I like to think he did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.