Painting Acyrlic Sign - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 10-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View hysigndesigns's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting Acyrlic Sign

I am in need of your expertise. I am trying to redo a acrylic back lit sign by painting the new logo on it.
1st question is what is the best paint to use for this type of work.
2nd ? what kind of surface prep do I have to do.
3rd ? I need the black paint not to show any light, is this possible with paint?

I have more questions but don't want to take up to much time from people, if you have knowledge in this area could I contact you directly for my questions.

Thank you in advance to all who will take their time to read and respond to my problem.

Matt
hysigndesigns is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
tsevnami

Rewards Points: 1,000
View tsunamicontract's Photo Album My Photos

I would think scuff sand, clean, prime with UMA or something like that, tape out your stencil or w/e design you are doing, 3 or 4 coats of a higher film build paint like duration or Manor Hall Timeless to block light, paint your new logo, top coat whole thing in catalyzed urethane clear.
tsunamicontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

What if you taped it off and air brushed it with lacquer.If the sign is small enought to take with you, you could do it in your shop.One thing you know about lacquer is how fast it dries between coats. Maybe a rattle can would work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 06:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250
View PinnacleResidential's Photo Album My Photos

When you say you don't want the black to show light do you mean that you don't want it to reflect light? If so, use a flat paint - it's not reflective. If you do that though, you will be reversing the flat paint effect by spraying lacquer on it.
PinnacleResidential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
tsevnami

no the sign sounds like it is backlit and he doesn't want the black parts of the new logo to show the backlighting
Old 10-17-2008, 06:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
What if you taped it off and air brushed it with lacquer.If the sign is small enought to take with you, you could do it in your shop.One thing you know about lacquer is how fast it dries between coats. Maybe a rattle can would work.

Are you suggesting he use lacquer which more likely it will be in the direct sun?
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #7

Do you see a problem with that?

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Naw! Not at all. Why don't you and do it for him. Post how it well it hung on through the summer months. Do you do a lot of ext lacqureing?
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #9

The backlighting will reflect off of most black paints but if you use a flat sheen, you won't have as much reflecting going on. I too would sand and put one bond coat on the sign followed by three coats of a very high quality exterior paint. Timeless or Aura would be my choice. I would think twice about a urethane to be honest. It will wear a lot quicker than the paint alone will. It also has more of a tendency to peel. I'd stick with the paint alone. At least when maintenance is necessary it is not as difficult.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #10
tsevnami

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinnacleResidential View Post
The backlighting will reflect off of most black paints but if you use a flat sheen, you won't have as much reflecting going on. I too would sand and put one bond coat on the sign followed by three coats of a very high quality exterior paint. Timeless or Aura would be my choice. I would think twice about a urethane to be honest. It will wear a lot quicker than the paint alone will. It also has more of a tendency to peel. I'd stick with the paint alone. At least when maintenance is necessary it is not as difficult.
I was thinking that maybe aura would not build as much of a film as the timeless might. Maybe the high build aura if they have it? What is going to block the light is amount of solids and pigments in your film.
Pin, catalyzed urethanes are basically car paint. it is going to wear WAY longer than paint. I am not talking about your run of the mill, get it at home depot water based poly urethanes. Basically if your paint store has it on the shelves its no good.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:52 PM   #11

Sorry TSU, I misunderstood. Actually though, if you are talking about something similar to car paint, why not use car paint? Sikkens makes it and your local dealer should be able to order some. Airbrush and clear coat and maybe that would be best. Most signs aren't painted with exterior house and trim paint anyway.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #12
tsevnami

car paint is more expensive and has to be sprayed. C U can be brushed and rolled (not that its recommended but you can do it). Plus I would imagine it would be easier to obtain a quality C U than a quality car paint. those duplicolor cans won't cut it
Old 10-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #13

Acrylic lacqures? Think about it.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #14
house painter

Rewards Points: 506
View johnthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

ask the guys at letterhead bullboard, not house painters. theyll just guess.
johnthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #15

I think John is right, we're coming up with stuff our of the blue.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #16
tsevnami

of course john is right. Maybe sub it out to your local sign shop.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:08 PM   #17

Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone on here that is putting their 2 cents worth in. The sign is a 8 ft x 7 ft pole sign. I am a local sign shop that is trying to get this sign done for a local resturant. I will look into talking with a local car shop and see if they can help me with the paint that I may need.

Thanks to all.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #18
Windy City Painting

Rewards Points: 75
View Jeff.Chicago's Photo Album My Photos

I've done this before and what I did was I had the logo that I was painting cut out of black vinyl at a graphics place and applied it over the existing, and then I painted over the vinyl and cleared it. Looked perfect! U can also airbrush the color onto the vinyl for a better effect.
Jeff.Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #19

Jeff, when you said that you placed the logo on the acrylic then painted. Did you remove the logo after you had painted? I am going to do it this way but I have a few color that are on this logo. What kind of paint did you use for the acrylic, and when you clear coated it did it help that much for longevity of the sign. Any directions on this process would be greatly appreciated.

Prep work, kind of paint, etc.

Matt

Tags
None