Painting Best Practices? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By CApainter

Old 06-02-2018, 02:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
View Chris D's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting Best Practices?

I'm a professional painter been painting for 26 years. Being quote "cut from the old cloth" I"ve come to the conclusion about starting a painting business able to compete against other painting businesses in this day and age would prove more a up hill struggle than it's worth. I'm not going to dismiss my own conscience to make a dollar. Don't get me wrong I like to make money and get a very good wage no doubt about it. For me that's only half the reward the other is the pleasure and appreciation the customer shows when the job is complete and if I did my job correctly the paint job or finish will be durable and hold up for years to come. I would be just fine with some sort of "hold your feet to the fire" painting criteria. Just like the guy I work for tries so desperately to convince me concerning latex paint over oil based paint it bonds if you aggressively sand it first. I frequently return to jobs for an annual touch up and the paint is peeling in sheets off these surfaces. The waterborne "hybrids" isn't what was used for those who are just waiting on the edge of their seats to interject.

I added these photos and with them this description
The first photo was the instructions I was told to do by my employer. The black door photo.
The second photo after the customer said what the F**K . I restriped and restained the door.
Didn't have an issue getting the check as well as schooled this couple with info about what's real and what's BS just maybe it will save them time, money, and disappointment.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
Chris D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris D For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (06-02-2018), NACE (06-02-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,051
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
I'm a professional painter been painting for 26 years. Being quote "cut from the old cloth" I"ve come to the conclusion about starting a painting business able to compete against other painting businesses in this day and age would prove more a up hill struggle than it's worth. I'm not going to dismiss my own conscience to make a dollar. Don't get me wrong I like to make money and get a very good wage no doubt about it. For me that's only half the reward the other is the pleasure and appreciation the customer shows when the job is complete and if I did my job correctly the paint job or finish will be durable and hold up for years to come. I would be just fine with some sort of "hold your feet to the fire" painting criteria. Just like the guy I work for tries so desperately to convince me concerning latex paint over oil based paint it bonds if you aggressively sand it first. I frequently return to jobs for an annual touch up and the paint is peeling in sheets off these surfaces. The waterborne "hybrids" isn't what was used for those who are just waiting on the edge of their seats to interject.

I added these photos and with them this description
The first photo was the instructions I was told to do by my employer. The black door photo.
The second photo after the customer said what the F**K . I restriped and restained the door.
Didn't have an issue getting the check as well as schooled this couple with info about what's real and what's BS just maybe it will save them time, money, and disappointment.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
Maybe you should tell you boss to visit this site. We'll set him straight.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finishesbykevyn For This Useful Post:
Chris D (06-02-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 09:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 9,542 Times in 5,408 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Chris,

You're in one of the most self taught trades in the building industry. Best practices are subjective in this trade. Do what you feel best represents your service , or labor as the case may be, and get compensated as well as you possibly can.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Chris D (06-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,032
View Fman's Photo Album My Photos

A lot of guys become paint contractors because they can find work. Being the boss doesn't make them good or knowledgeable painters though. I've had a few tell me: "Forget everything you think you know about painting, because I have a system..." When you hear something like that, you should walk but, I've a bad habit of wanting to see how the movie ends. It never ends well. One guy's system on new trim/doors was to prime with finish, then first coat primer and finally another finish coat. He explained that with his system, the finish would "dent rather than chip and, thus, be easier to repair". WTF? A different guy wanted us to roll sideways instead of up and down. I forget why but his mission statement was that, on his way to becoming the biggest contractor in town, he was going to reinvent painting. It would finally be done right, I guess.

OP sounds like a rational, experienced painter who would be good at being a boss and likely a good teacher. The only real question for anyone at that stage in life is if you want the aggravation that can go along with self-employment?
Fman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fman For This Useful Post:
Chris D (06-02-2018), ridesarize (06-02-2018)

Tags
None