painting fiberglass exterior door - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 09-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View A Man For All Reason's Photo Album My Photos
Default painting fiberglass exterior door

I have a customer who has an exterior fiberglass door that was originally stained and polyurethaned, them primed ( not sure what primer) and stained again. The door is now peeling. She wants to paint the door with an acrylic paint. I have no experience in painting fiberglass doors with all the coats on it. What procedure should be taken.
A Man For All Reason is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 4,211 Times in 2,057 Posts
View aaron61's Photo Album My Photos

Fiberglass doors ae really easy to strip. if it is peeling i would strip it and start over

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

aaron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75
View poet-1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Man For All Reason View Post
I have a customer who has an exterior fiberglass door that was originally stained and polyurethaned, them primed ( not sure what primer) and stained again. The door is now peeling. She wants to paint the door with an acrylic paint. I have no experience in painting fiberglass doors with all the coats on it. What procedure should be taken.
Is the peeling layer the newer stain/polyurethane coat, or the primer, or the previous stain/poly?
It's likely a time-consuming job, for the existing failing layer(s), technically, must be completely removed to ensure the longevity of the new paint --in which case, it's not an easy, perhaps not feasible, task. Removing stain/paint on fiberglass by means of heat-gun or chemical is not recommended (regarding the latter, however, you can test a small area using a mild, non-solvent base stripper to see if it works safely --for most chemical strippers would corrode/eat away the fiberglass if left on the surface for too long).
If the HO wants a quick fix, the followings can be done:
- Scrape and power-sand peeling areas (w/ fine sand-paper, 150 or higher). Wipe the door with cleaner or paint thinner. Full-prime using quality alkyd primer. Topcoat with Aura or Duration. Repeat the procedure every 2-3 years.
poet-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None