Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Painting Maple Desk: Latex Vs Chalk Paint? Etc

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  RH 
#1 ·
I acquired a great old Maple desk that I'm in the process of refinishing. It is currently 60's era brown. I've begun sanding the top down to bare wood. It's no easy task even with a random orbital sander. My wife wants this piece painted, which is new to me.
We've decided to stain the top with a dark stain like Kona or Java, but the rest of the desk she wants an antique white or cream. She's suggested chalk paint, but I've never used the stuff and quite frankly, I think latex will be a better finish. I've never painted wood furniture before, so am not sure of steps. Do I need to sand the base of desk(not top) down to bare wood? Can I just scuff it up to give the paint something to adhere to?

Any recommendations on type/brand of paint? I do not own a sprayer. I'm thinking getting a "Best" foam roller for rolling the sides and drawers which are mostly flat. There isn't any ornate decoration on this piece. Would a foam roller leave a smoother finish than a brush?

Once primed and painted, I've hoping to seal with a spray poly of some sort. Online, many people like the Minwax polycrylic b/c it won't yellow over time. Any ideas on this?

I'm open to suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com .

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php .

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.