Painting misfortunes - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252
View tedrin's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting misfortunes

I just finished a job and noticed a water stain on the kitchen table..{very expensive solid wood}

I had a drop sheet on it the whole time,so I'm not sure if I damaged it or not....I could have put a wet rag on it and it soaked through...I really can't say...

The owner was not home when I left and he has not called me about it...He paid me,but I have to go back in a month to do some more work.

I really hate to bring it up to him,because he could easily say it was my doing,even if it was there for months/years...I just don't want the guy to spring it on me with the last payment....

Anyone else ever get a tabletop refinished/repaired because of a water stain?...Apparently a water stain (white) occurs when it gets under the lacquer and can't dry out...

I looked online and many say just to iron it with medium heat over a dish towel...I hate to go in there unprepared with an answer to the problem.
tedrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

No,but I droped somthing heavy on a glass table and it shattered to a million pieces.What about moving refrigerators on ( suppose to be hardwood floors)and it leaves a grooves it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (11-18-2009)
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpaint View Post
No,but I droped somthing heavy on a glass table and it shattered to a million pieces.What about moving refrigerators on ( suppose to be hardwood floors)and it leaves a grooves it up.

Ouch!...That glass was probably fairly expensive to replace,I'll bet...

Yeah hardwood floors is always a problem..Some are finished as hard as diamonds,so moving furniture isn't a problem...I hate taking that chance when I have to move the furniture by myself...Most of the time I just slip a drop under it.

Moving a fridge is a different story,especially if there is an island in the way...You sometimes have to move it side ways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

I painted this guys great room years ago and it had 18' vaulted ceilings. I ended up breaking one of his native american pieces with the back of the pole.
He was not happy but was cool about the whole thing and I do not think it was ever charged for, i was a employee just learning at the time.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #5

Yeah this is good advise to all: the new floors that are basicly plywood and 1 million of and inch hardwood on top, be very carefull how you move heavy objects. This is not you grandmas old hardwood floor we are talking about. Welcome to the new soft age.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
nEighter (11-19-2009)
Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
I painted this guys great room years ago and it had 18' vaulted ceilings. I ended up breaking one of his native american pieces with the back of the pole.
He was not happy but was cool about the whole thing and I do not think it was ever charged for, i was a employee just learning at the time.
Sometimes I paint in homes with $15K couches,and rediculously priced furniture etc....Just one mistake with one piece,and a months work could be down the drain...
Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedrin View Post
Sometimes I paint in homes with $15K couches,and rediculously priced furniture etc....Just one mistake with one piece,and a months work could be down the drain...
I hear you on that. Best to cover everything if you are working in the room.
My mistake was total rookie. The bosses were in another part of the house.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
I don't think any one can top that. I bet you felt real chizzy
ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
I don't think any one can top that. I bet you felt real chizzy
Yeah I really did. I do not know the value of it but I tell myself it was something he bought at the mall.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #10

Old 11-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #11
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

Correct on the dish towel/iron theory although it is not a theory as it does work. I know what you are saying about the table spot and not wanting to say. Its a 50/50 chance of him thinking it was you, but if he is a freak on knowing every square inch of his home and he knows for a fact that he did not do it, then you better be in store for a lashing.
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

ah the stories I have heard. and the stories i could tell.

But legal council says I shan't

Couple of years ago I was moving a ladder off the van (20 ft ext) and musta grazed the PU next to the van. Didn't even know it happened. this was at a business site where I was replacing some vinyl damaged by a painter (place musta been cursed). The owner of the PU "informed" me of the scratch. Although I literally did not know it happened, I could not deny it and accepted his say I did it. Anyway, I was ready to pay him cash to have quarter panel repainted, but he said the auto body shop estimated $750. WHAT ?!?!?!. Someone was ripping someone off. I called around and got an estimate for $400.

Anyway, my liability would not cover it. Something about not being covered by moving equipment and damaging vehicles. WTF !!!

He got another estimate and we negotiated a settlement.

All I know is that it SUCKS doing damage. Makes you want to know how to cover these things up. You pay how may thousands for liability and they find a weasel hole to crawl into

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

A few years ago we were painting a five story condo. We were working on the parking lot side with the 60' lift when a resident parked next to it. The HO called up to my father in the basket and asked if it was alright to park there. Well, he looks down and thinks there is enough room. WRONG! He did'nt think about the counter weights sticking out on the other end. When he rotated the boom, he wiped out the whole side of the car.

Thank God for insurance.....
Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #14

I refuse to tell my unknown mishaps in a open forum.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
workin

View painting247's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
I refuse to tell my unknown mishaps in a open forum.

facebook

A job can be where you go to work
or where you come to LIFE.
painting247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #16
workin

I was painting Robin egg blue for a HO, had the entire area covered with drop cloths (so I thought) Client had white carpet and yes, I dropped ONE drop of blue paint on the white carpet. opps, my first instinct was to grab a cloth and scrub.....this created problem #2..... Sometimes accidents happen, this particular incident haunted me for months. Good news is the HO recently called me back to paint 3 more rooms.

facebook

Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #17
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

24/7

white shag rugs are a MAGNET.

The ratio of cutting myself on a job is relatively low especially considering working with razor blades all day. The certainty of cutting myself when there is a white shag is INSANELY high.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #18
workin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
24/7

white shag rugs are a MAGNET.

The ratio of cutting myself on a job is relatively low especially considering working with razor blades all day. The certainty of cutting myself when there is a white shag is INSANELY high.

facebook

Old 11-19-2009, 12:26 AM   #19
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by painting247 View Post
I was painting Robin egg blue for a HO, had the entire area covered with drop cloths (so I thought) Client had white carpet and yes, I dropped ONE drop of blue paint on the white carpet. opps, my first instinct was to grab a cloth and scrub.....this created problem #2..... Sometimes accidents happen, this particular incident haunted me for months. Good news is the HO recently called me back to paint 3 more rooms.
Painting rule #37- The one spot that there is a gap in the drops on the carpet, it exactly where the drip of paint will fall!
4ThGeneration (11-19-2009), aaron61 (11-19-2009), daArch (11-19-2009), ewingpainting.net (11-19-2009), johnpaint (11-19-2009), painting247 (11-19-2009), Wolfgang (11-19-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #20

Sometimes it is best to let the water base skim over on carpet before you try to get it up. My problem is the homeowner wants to spy it before I get the chance to scrape it up.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnpaint For This Useful Post:
4ThGeneration (11-19-2009), painting247 (11-19-2009)

Tags
None