Painting over Glazed Kitchen Cabinets - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
sharrardpainting.ca

Rewards Points: 12
View sharrard's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting over Glazed Kitchen Cabinets

I was out doing an estimate last night - customer believes that they cannot paint over cabinets that have been glazed. This was somewhat news to me and in general i didn't believe the statement but I said I would investigate. My approach to the prep would be:

1) washing and degressing
2) light scuff sand - and i mean light
3) one / two coats of STIX.

Then followed up with a two three coats of KEM AQUA as required. What do you think.

www.sharrardpainting.ca

Last edited by sharrard; 05-31-2014 at 11:38 AM..
sharrard is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

That is what I would do. I like STIX a lot.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
GSP82 (06-01-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 11:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 270
View Danahy's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds good.
Maybe bring a spray can of bin just in case something nasty pops up.
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danahy For This Useful Post:
Greg Mrakich (06-07-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

We use shellac as our primer 90% of the time. Pretty much fool proof over any cabinet finish so long as you thoroughly de-grease and sand. We have never had issues with glazing before.

However two weeks ago we were doing a job that the homeowner had touched up. She brought out the glaze she used which was oil, and said she topcoated with minwax poly. No problems right?

She neglected to tell me she had waxed the fronts after reading online you should wax lacquer to protect it. Since we were distressing and didn't want to see white primer on the burn through we used seal coat. Primer did fine but our topcoat crackled like crazy.

I assume it was the wax she applied that did this but the client was inconsolable and the job went sour. I had to refund the deposit, she was convinced it was something we did wrong even through the backs turned out perfect.

Her expert that she brought in was convinced it was coating incompatibility even though the backs had no issues at all.

It was a beautiful crackle finish though..

I distressed and glazed a sample hoping she would like the finish. No such luck, nightmare of a job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
sharrardpainting.ca

Rewards Points: 12
View sharrard's Photo Album My Photos

``I assume it was the wax she applied that did this but the client was inconsolable and the job went sour. I had to refund the deposit, she was convinced it was something we did wrong even through the backs turned out perfect ,,,,,,,,, nightmare of a job``

how do you protect yourself against something like that, do you have a disclaimer or terms that you use in your contracts.
sharrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I have PDCA standards and responsibilities in our contracts. With that said, nothing will protect you from a client who won't see reason and is willing to take you to court.

Cost me about $2300.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinet painting, glazed cabinets, kithchen cabinets