Painting Vehicle - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree34Likes

Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152
View SweetLu's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting Vehicle

I’m in the market for a new work/everyday vehicle. What are your recommendations. It can’t be an industrial style work van, or huge truck.

The must haves are: 4 Doors, New Vehicle, under 35k.

What would you buy?
SweetLu is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 510
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLu View Post
I’m in the market for a new work/everyday vehicle. What are your recommendations. It can’t be an industrial style work van, or huge truck.

The must haves are: 4 Doors, New Vehicle, under 35k.

What would you buy?
I lettered up a 4Runner, rigged out with a Baja Rack (for extension ladders), and pull a small enclosed trailer to bigger jobs. We have a lot of snow here in winter, and vans can't handle driving in those conditions...and my wife did not want a van parked in the driveway.

Last edited by Holland; 07-06-2019 at 12:47 PM..
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #3

Looks great. Yeah 4Runners are a thing of beauty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,018
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

Probably going to have a hard time finding a 4runner for under 35,000. At least a 4wd. Subaru Forester is a good vehicle and better value, IMO. Chevy Colorado is a nice smaller truck in that price range (and I'm a Ford guy. The Colorado is a better value than the Ranger).
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 786
Thanked 9,528 Times in 5,396 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

You have to get what's most practical, not what looks good in the drive way. I favor a van for painting operations.
Wildbill7145 likes this.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 644
Thanked 4,458 Times in 2,448 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
You have to get what's most practical, not what looks good in the drive way. I favor a van for painting operations.

Yup, my current work van is an extended older model Pontiac Montana mini van. I love it. Side doors on both sides. Ripped the rear seats out. I can fold back the front passenger seat and get a 20' extension ladder in there with out having to put it up on the racks and fasten it!

I put in two truck tool boxes on either side in the back to keep things a little more organized. Still getting used to that as stuff does get stacked on top of them quite a bit making them effectively useless.
CApainter likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 195
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting Vehicle

It seems like a Tacoma, Ranger or Colorado would work well. All the 1/2 ton trucks will be beyond your budget unless you get one thatís a couple years old.

An SUV like a RAV4 might work, but Iíd rather have a truck or van compared to an SUV.

Iím not sure if you can get one for under 35k, but a Toyota Tacoma with the long bed might fit the bill. Iíve got a 4 door Tacoma with the short bed and I really wish Iíd gotten the long bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by PNW Painter; 07-06-2019 at 04:05 PM..
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 510
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

I think it is important to look good sitting in a driveway, as I am advertising at the same time, but more important (for me) to have a competent winter vehicle. Winters create hazardous driving conditions for about half the year. Many of the homes we go to have long, winding driveways which are often vacation homes (ie., sometimes not attended to/plowed).

Things to consider: An SUV is smaller inside than a van (of course), so one needs to be more organized. I would personally never use any other type of vehicle (I had a Rav4 prior to this, and several mid-size pick-ups before that).

I find that I need re-pack the cargo space for each job. I like to be organized, so this fits my personality. This is more work, but is good for a number of reasons. I am able to organize what I have vs. what I need, and allows me to mentally prepare for each job. I also don't drive around with my vehicle looking messy. (I use the Rigid job boxes) to move items in and out.

Last edited by Holland; 07-06-2019 at 03:08 PM..
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,230
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

I have had both vans and trucks and both worked well for me. Vans in southern AZ. and Toyota trucks with toppers and ladder racks in Colorado. I now have a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 4 door that i paid 34,000 for brand new. I fold down the backseats, actually had to take the bench seats out, they unbolt easily, and have a sheet of particle board over the seat backs where I store all the stuff I use all the time so I don't have to climb in the bed. The topper has side tool boxes.
SemiproJohn likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:47 PM   #10

I always liked trailers as opposed to vans. I'm 6'3" and don't like hitting my head. I had a van, but wasn't my daily driver. Usually an employee would drive it. I always had full size trucks (8' bed) with tool boxes and rack. Trailer is nice because you can just drop it, and there it stays. Truck is nice to keep everyday tools in because it offers the easiest access.

Lots of good choices, every one has their trade offs. Usually the only limiting factor is $$$.

I agree a good looking vehicle is a good advertisement.

Last edited by Lightningboy65; 07-06-2019 at 03:50 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

What are you working out of now?

I find vans are the easiest to work out of, it keeps everything secure, easy to access everything, keeps the paint warm in winter and is a huge billboard if you choose to advertise.

I always worry about trailers because as easy as they are to bring to site they are just as easy for thieves to remove from site.
CApainter likes this.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
Yup, my current work van is an extended older model Pontiac Montana mini van. I love it. Side doors on both sides. Ripped the rear seats out. I can fold back the front passenger seat and get a 20' extension ladder in there with out having to put it up on the racks and fasten it!

I put in two truck tool boxes on either side in the back to keep things a little more organized. Still getting used to that as stuff does get stacked on top of them quite a bit making them effectively useless.
My domestic vehicle is a 96' Dodge Grand Caravan. Long story how I got it for three hundred bucks about three years ago, but I too removed the rear seats and it works great for hauling full 10-12' lengths of lumber and 4' X 8" sheets of building material. All while being able to close the rear hatch! I'm sold on the mini vans!

In about three weeks I'll be replacing my 95' GMC utility truck with a 2019 Ford Transit 250 (3/4 ton) Van with medium cargo height. Shelving and work bench all built in. It won't be sitting in my driveway, but it'll look pretty nice sitting every where else!
Old 07-07-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
RH

Rewards Points: 9,994
Thanked 15,336 Times in 8,029 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Also take into account if it will just be a work vehicle or need to also function as a second one in your household.

I think vans would be more convenient for working out of but I’ve always had a truck with canopy which also functioned as the tow rig for my camp trailer. As far as accessing a truck bed, you can purchase slide out bed additions though they use up a bit of your available space. The side access doors on a canopy would also help in that area.

A separate trailer would work well too if parking it isn’t an issue.

As far a looking good in the driveway, any rig in at least moderate condition, with some decent lettering and logos, will fill the bill as long as it is kept clean. Driving a filthy work rig sends the worst possible message to potential customers.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 07-07-2019 at 01:44 PM..
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracobucks View Post

I always worry about trailers because as easy as they are to bring to site they are just as easy for thieves to remove from site.
Definitely a concern in metro areas and high crime areas. I never had a problem, and of course they were insured. But still, it is a risk. Trailers also make a great on site job sign.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:

In about three weeks I'll be replacing my 95' GMC utility truck with a 2019 Ford Transit 250 (3/4 ton) Van with medium cargo height. Shelving and work bench all built in. It won't be sitting in my driveway, but it'll look pretty nice sitting every where else!
If I were still in the business, I'd have at least one Transit. Pretty practical work rig.

I don't think it would make a very sporty personal vehicle!
CApainter likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
If I were still in the business, I'd have at least one Transit. Pretty practical work rig.

I don't think it would make a very sporty personal vehicle!
Aesthetically, vans never appealed to me. But as a utility, they're hard to beat.

When I was in my twenties (1980's) I always admired and envied the guys showing up at construction sites with 4 X 4 trucks sporting off road tires. Toyota being the most popular as I recall. Rarely were these guys painters. And there I was, in my boring, albeit clean, white GMC Van. But hey, it worked perfectly.
Lightningboy65 likes this.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #17

Quote:

When I was in my twenties (1980's) I always admired and envied the guys showing up at construction sites with 4 X 4 trucks sporting off road tires.
The bigger the tires , the harder it is to reach the ladder rack!

But big tires do look nice.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

I always liked the Chevy astro vans. You could get them in awd and they hold lots of tools with the middle seat in. Unfortunately they are not the best on fuel and they stop making them in 2005. I just upgraded our vans to the Nissan nv200. They are super cheap on gas and if you organize everything they do carry a lot. We'll have to see how they are in winter.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #19

Wow thanks guys so much great info. My rig right now is kind of embarrassing. It’s a Hyundai Elantra with a roof rack on it. For a car, it has great trunk space. And we’ve figured out an organization system that keeps all of our tools in the trunk. So I’m pretty sure I could make anything work at this point.
The Colorado seems like my favourite vehicle that you guys have brought up so far.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,828
Thanked 4,701 Times in 3,169 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

2001 Volvo station wagon. Save $1000.00 a year for maintenance and repairs and pocket the rest of your $35,000.00. I would never buy anything new for a work vehicle (or at all for that matter!). Spend your time making money not worrying about your new vehicle getting scratched! It is a tool, and a tool that depreciates extremely quickly! Let someone else pay for that depreciation and buy something 5-6 years old with low mileage and decent oil change records.
Holland likes this.

"Screw you guys! I'm going home!" Cartmann
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None