Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Paperhanger asks dumb painting question

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Painted-Bride 
#1 ·
I figure you don't use interior paint on the exterior because it wouldn't hold up...

but are there any reasons not to use exterior paint on the interior?

I'm asking for a friend.

#4 ·
Depends on the situation. The chemicals used in exterior paint are stronger, so I suppose there could be issues with someone potentially getting sick from the vapors. And the smell will last a little longer. I painted my current bed frame with some exterior paint and it smelled for about a month. But, it didn't make me sick; at least that I could tell.

But, is it really going to save that much money?

#9 · (Edited)
when I worked a small Mom & Pop back circa 1990, a woman came in asking about the advisability of using ext for int. I told her the same that I said above. She mused a bit on the words, and then, sorta with a thinking out loud voice, said something about that being the cause of her facial ticks - which she had.

Underdog, a few of us have basically said the same thing. What would be the advantage of taking a chance ? Just tell him, "I wouldn't"

#12 ·
Underdog, a few of us have basically said the same thing. What would be the advantage of taking a chance ? Just tell him, "I wouldn't"

It's settled in my mind. It may be unpleasant to say something but I will.
Some people get things locked in their minds.

#13 ·
Exterior paint is typically not formulated to lay down quite as nicely as interior paint either. It is more about durability than appearance. That and the problem with a stronger odor from the mildewcides in exterior paints are going to be your main issues when using exterior on an interior job.

#15 ·
If you have some white exterior enamel and need to paint a few interior trims, I would use it and save the money.

I bought a gallon of exterior white enamel a few weeks ago. I had some exterior trim and bathroom trim to paint. I used it on both interior and exterior. It didn't smell strong and looked fine on the int bath.

There are some paints that are for both int & ext.

#17 ·
Painted-Bride;432314[COLOR=red said:
]Paints of yesteryear are much different than today.[/COLOR]

If I was doing a whole complete room, sure, I would buy interior paint.
But if I had a gallon of white ext., enamel left over, I would use it on int., trim and save the money.

at the risk of peoples health?

I think not
who's $ are you saving:eek:

the paints certainly are different, but just look at the ingredients of that exterior can, it was not made to come inside, period and end of discussion...........:notworthy:

#25 ·
Use any of this stuff?

Solvent based paints

Coverstain
Oil Kilz
Oil Primers
Oil Enamels
Polyurethane
Varnish

Insecticides
Ants
Roaches
Bugs
Spiders
Bed Bugs

Household Products
Clorox Clean-Up Cleaner Spray
Mr. Clean
Pine Sol
Formula 409
Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover

MSDS: Moderate eye irritant. Mild to moderate
skin irritant. Occasional clinical
reports suggest a low potential for skin sensitization upon exaggerated
exposure to sodium hypochlorite if skin damage (e.g. irritation) occurs during exposure. Routine clinical tests
conducted on intact skin with this product found no sensitization in the test subjects. Exposure to vapor or mist may irritate eyes, nose, throat, lungs. Harmful if swallowed. May cause nausea and vomiting if swallowed. The following medical conditions may be aggravated by
exposure to high concentrations of vapor or mist: heart conditions or chronic respiratory problems such as asthma, emphysema,
chronic bronchitis or obstructive lung disease. Under normal consumer-use conditions, the likelihood of any adverse
health effects is low.

FIRST AID
:
EYE CONTACT
: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for
15–20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eye. If irritation persists, call a doctor.
SKIN CONTACT
: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately
with plenty of water for 15–20 minutes.
If irritation persists, call a doctor.
INGESTION
: Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment
advice. Have person sip a glassful of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
INHALATION
: Move person to fresh air. If person is not breathing, call 911
or an ambulance, then give artificial respiration, preferably mouth-to-mouth if possible. If breathing is affected, call a doctor.

#18 ·
What are you gaining by using an ext paint inside? Aside from the previously mentioned bio-cides and off gassing? Say you have 5 kids banging toys, peeing on the walls and throwing spaghetti sauce everywhere. Their are int paints that can handle it. I've put floor paint on interior walls because of excess kicking and scuffing but it's an int/ext product. Or use something like Super Scrub Ceramic which has microban, an antimicrobial agent in it. I just never saw the point to it. :no:

#19 ·
This discussion gets muddled when you consider that there are plenty of paints made these days by all manufacturers that are labeled interior/exterior. I am a huge believer in reading the words written on the can and following them. I do this because I know that if I don't do what the label says and bad stuff happens, then it may be my fault because I didn't follow the directions written clearly by the manufacturer. That said, you may be able to use outside paint on the interior, but if the manufacturer had really intended for that product to be used inside, it would say for interior use on the label.

#22 ·
i have a lil background in this painter 20 yrs ,worked sherwin will and ppg for 4yrs each ======= heres my response most diff between int and ext paint is ext has a mildicide and pesticide in it,,leave a window open(i love using exterior in basements (keeps the bugs-spiders down) hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.