Penetrating Clear Epoxy Sealer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Rewards Points: 510
View pacificpainters.com's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to pacificpainters.com
Default Penetrating Clear Epoxy Sealer

I was visiting a job site today and the painters were using penetrating clear epoxy sealer as a form of corrosion treatment on steel.

I think that this option would be a form of anodic pasavation, that is the reduction or elimination of contact with the ionic environment leading to electrolysis through the application of a coating.

Years ago we used to use fish oil to do something similar, then their were penetrating oils such as WD40, CRC, pentrol etc.

So in theory the epoxy would be reduced making it less viscous and penetrating the corroded area then setting.

I am not convinced about this approach, has any one had experience with this?
pacificpainters.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View One Coat Coverage's Photo Album My Photos

Uh...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
One Coat Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,332
Thanked 9,559 Times in 5,425 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificpainters.com View Post
I was visiting a job site today and the painters were using penetrating clear epoxy sealer as a form of corrosion treatment on steel.

I think that this option would be a form of anodic pasavation, that is the reduction or elimination of contact with the ionic environment leading to electrolysis through the application of a coating.

Years ago we used to use fish oil to do something similar, then their were penetrating oils such as WD40, CRC, pentrol etc.

So in theory the epoxy would be reduced making it less viscous and penetrating the corroded area then setting.

I am not convinced about this approach, has any one had experience with this?
I've had experience with Devoe's 167 penetrating sealer. It is designed for surfaces where limited preparation can be implemented such as SSPC-3 (Power tool) verses the better preparation of SSPC-5 (white metal blast).

I'm not certain that the sealer you're describing is providing as much passivation as it is providing penetration to an irregular surface through "wetting". Subsequent coats of a high build epoxy provides the barrier that inhibits the electrolytes required to complete the "corrosion cell"

Of course, all of these sealers require you to remove loose rust, mill scale, and paint before application.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
pacificpainters.com (06-22-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
NACE COATINGS INSPECTOR

Rewards Points: 224
View mustangmike3789's Photo Album My Photos

i have never used this sytem myself. imo cathodic protection is the best method to prevent corrosion. some coatings can act as inhibitive coating blocking the metal from the enviroment. blocking the metal from moisture (electrolite),oxygen and chemical salts can be effective if the coating is not damaged . i would not be too confident with this system in a corrosive enviroment such as salt water or a nuke plant. what will they be using for a top coat to protect the epoxy? knowing the full coating system may help in getting the answer that you are looking for. im not sure what you meant when you said that the epoxy would be reduced unless you were refering to thinning.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Yeah I meant thinned. I am not confident in this approach they have used, they are using an aluminium alkyd based paint over the top.

The comments have been great so far, CApainter and MustangMike have both confirmed what I think.

I do like the comment from One Coat as well.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
NACE COATINGS INSPECTOR

adding a protective barrier over metal will slow down corrosion vs leaving it exposed. depending on the enviroment, this coating may be acceptable in this case. corrosion inhibitors can be added to coating to slow down corrosion. im not an expert on additives or pigments besides the ones that are self explanatory like red lead or zinc so im not sure what is added to a clear coat for corrosion protection. i still feel that this is a barrier coat at best and probably wont do well in the long run depending on the enviroment.
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
P&D Trainer & Assessor

Interesting point on additives, I can't think of what they may be either apart from as you say the obvious.

I think their may be a lot of gimmicks out there. For example a paint may have a hydrocarbon added that is different to the thinners thus defining the hydrocarbon as an additive. They may reason that this will penetrate the substrate better and in turn create a barrier. So then in marketing they can say "we have additives in our paint that will prevent corrosion."

I think every professional painter needs to understand some science behind corrosion. In particular painters that work in severe atmospheric environments. This way they are protected against spending money on gimmicks.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,332
Thanked 9,559 Times in 5,425 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

The extent of preparation is usually driven by the criticallity of the project, such as nuclear power plants, or fresh water storage tanks. These projects are normally budgeted to have the best surface preparation possible, which almost allways includes abrasive blasting. But because of the costs to keep less critical projects enviromentally compliant, surface preparation is limited to hand and power tool cleaning. Or at best, High pressure washing. This is why products like rust converters, and penetrating sealers will continue to be recommended for projects that cannot include abrasive blasting. Time, and a good coat of paint, will tell if these products are worth using verses paying the extra costs to abrasive blast.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #9
NACE COATINGS INSPECTOR

i argee on proprer surface prep and abrasive blasting. i have never been on a job that required less than product data sheet specs, most required above and beyond. some coatings do spec SP2 hand tool or even SP3 power tool cleaning as a minimum spec but i feel that a properly prepared surface should have a spec profile from abrasive blasting to create a good clean surface to bond properly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (06-23-2011), pacificpainters.com (06-23-2011)

Tags
None