Potential commercial job, would be my first big one - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View AAAPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Potential commercial job, would be my first big one

Hey folks,

I looked up this site and lurked here for some time, figured I would add my paint to the proverbial plot.

I have a potential job for an autobody dealership. I used to detail and manage there some time back and they'd like me to do the work. Simple enough job, repaint the walls (which I know how to do) and paint the floor.

Now, I have NEVER painted a garage floor before and after doing a ton of research I think I'm capable of doing the job and confident in the materials used.

Wash the floor. Grind the floor. Two part epoxy.

The space is just above 6500 sq ft. They'd like it white, the stark, contemporary look that is the trend here around the Emerald City.

Any advice, tips, or anything would be much appreciated.

My three main questions are;

--Any products that anyone recommends heavily for this kind of job?
I was going to go PPG MegaSeal or Sherwin-Williams has something like it called ArmorSeal or something like that.

--Best ways to go about grinding a floor?
I was going to rent out a radial floor buffer and use the brillow/sanding pads to carve that out. Then use a radial hand sander to get at the corners and the stubborn bits.

--Since this will be stopping production on the floor, should I ask to have it done over the course of a long weekend or do the painting in stages?

The place is in **** shape and hasn't been treated for over 15 years. The previous paint on the floors has been stripped except at the edges. Will I need to strip that too?

Thanks guys!

Keep rockin'!
AAAPainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,574
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

What kind of downtime can they afford?
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Definitely do it over weekends, if you can't do it in one weekend do it in stages over 2. Commercial customers don't want any downtime for their business, the better you accommodate that the more commercial work you will have.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,426
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

When you grind it use 36 then 60 and maybe finish it with 80 grit paper. A scrubbing type pad will do nothing to give the concrete the tooth it needs for the epoxy to bond to. Armor seal 1000 is a good product but it needs several days to cure before you can drive on it. There are products out there that will cure fast enough for vehicle traffic but I don't know the names. More google time for you. There will be lots of chemical residue on and in the floor you will have to deal with. Offer no warranty.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None