PPG Break-Through! Used on Wood Flooring - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 2 Post By Jmayspaint
  • 1 Post By chrisn

Old 07-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View Guest111's Photo Album My Photos
Default PPG Break-Through! Used on Wood Flooring

I used Break-Through on a sanded bare wood floor. I had intended on putting down a primer first (told this to the store mgr in advance) and then applying the Break-Through but on the advice of the PPG rep (through the words of the store mgr), I skipped the primer.

I rolled the first coat, brushed the second and rolled a final coat. I was extremely pleased with the outcome but after 2 days the the floor is bleeding through. (The paint color is a shade of white.)

I am going to contact the store to see what measures will fix it. I don't want a second mess. How would you fix this problem?

I also need to topcoat it with a gloss after it is fixed as my customer did not find the satin "shiny enough" (and I would agree that it looks quite matte). I plan on using the clear Break-Through hi-gloss.
Guest111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,711 Times in 3,178 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Yup. It adheres well enough without a primer, in fact it probably adheres better than most readily available primers out there. But sealing tannins and other stains? Not so much.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Guest111 (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 14
View getrex's Photo Album My Photos

Make sure PPG reimburses you for the materials. Now you have to strip all that paint, prime, and paint again. If you want it to have any longevity.
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getrex For This Useful Post:
Guest111 (07-17-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

View Guest111's Photo Album My Photos

They told me that each time a layer was added it was re-wetting the paint under it and to let it cure for a couple of days, put another coat on in an inconspicuous area and see if it still comes through or if it covers it. If it does they said to prime over it and then add another coat.
The rep was there when I called and the mgr was getting info from him.

Does this sound legit? I'm worried about that many layers and also splitting up the layers with the primer--should I be?

Thanks
Guest111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,526
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

My PPG rep told me that breakthrough is not a stainblocker. The store really should have recommended a stain blocker underneath. Letting it cure and trying again, MAY work.... but I wouldnt count on it. I would have the store comp you a bunch of BIN, prime it, and put two more coats of the gloss breakthrough over it. I dont know if one coat would be good enough right over the primer....

You might need to let it cure for a few days first though, with that many coats. Better kiss your clients ass for a bit too....

If you have the budget to be on the safe side, you could rent a floor sander, and take it down.... That would suck though.

On that note, does anyone know if Stix blocks stains at all?

Last edited by Woodco; 07-17-2017 at 02:54 PM..
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest111 View Post
They told me that each time a layer was added it was re-wetting the paint under it and to let it cure for a couple of days, put another coat on in an inconspicuous area and see if it still comes through or if it covers it. If it does they said to prime over it and then add another coat.
The rep was there when I called and the mgr was getting info from him.

Does this sound legit? I'm worried about that many layers and also splitting up the layers with the primer--should I be?

Thanks
This is pretty much what every "stain blocking" paint on the market says! After you put on so many coats, and make sure you let it dry over night between each one, if it STILL bleeds use a primer! What a pain in the a55! I don't know about you all but i have much more important things to do than wait around for paint to dry! (well actually, not really) But this is one of my major complaints about the paint manufacturers these days. Kind of, if it does what we say it will fine. If it doesn't well then, i guess you should prime it then. Why not just prime in the first frickin' place!ERRRRRR!

Old 07-17-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
My PPG rep told me that breakthrough is not a stainblocker. The store really should have recommended a stain blocker underneath. Letting it cure and trying again, MAY work.... but I wouldnt count on it. I would have the store comp you a bunch of BIN, prime it, and put two more coats of the gloss breakthrough over it. I dont know if one coat would be good enough right over the primer....

You might need to let it cure for a few days first though, with that many coats. Better kiss your clients ass for a bit too....

If you have the budget to be on the safe side, you could rent a floor sander, and take it down.... That would suck though.

On that note, does anyone know if Stix blocks stains at all?
Not really. Most primers optimized for adhesion don't block stains all that well. The resins needed are different and there is only so much you can put in a gallon of paint. Some will say they do both well, (123.) but in reality when compared to other primers they don't.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 PM   #8
Anonymous Tard

View getrex's Photo Album My Photos

Consider this a lesson learned. Always prime bare wood if you are going to paint it. Don't let anyone talk you out of it.
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getrex For This Useful Post:
Guest111 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Just prime over it. Use bin or coverstain and let it dry thoroughly...then just top coat it. The breakthrough sounds like it's probably bonded well, you need a stainblocker as has been mentioned before....latex NEVER blocks stains as well as solvents....its always a crapshoot. That's been my experience anyway...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Brushman4, PACman and beaglepower like this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Guest111 (07-18-2017), Jmayspaint (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #10

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
Just prime over it. Use bin or coverstain and let it dry thoroughly...then just top coat it. The breakthrough sounds like it's probably bonded well, you need a stainblocker as has been mentioned before....latex NEVER blocks stains as well as solvents....its always a crapshoot. That's been my experience anyway...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree. It was a mistake for your rep to recommend using Breakthrough in a manner clearly inconsistent with it's labeling. The stuff will stick to about anything, but it's not self priming over raw wood or a stain blocker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PACman and lilpaintchic like this.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 03:55 AM   #11
very senior member

Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

I thought you couldn't walk on ANY primer?
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,618
Thanked 4,582 Times in 2,540 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Ditto. I haven't painted any floors in a long time, but as far as I can remember the process was thin the first coat by 10% (looks awful, get worried) then don't thin the second coat (looks great, be relieved). No primer involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
cheap primer or primer not top coated. Some floor paint manufacturers say to thin and not prime because to many people were using cheap a55 kilz oil as a primer, and the topcoats were failing because of it. This was happening quite a few years ago.

The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-18-2017)

Tags
None