PPG Breakthrough - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34
View Splitter's Photo Album My Photos
Default PPG Breakthrough

Just touching base and would like to hear any feedback on PPG Breakthrough. Any success with the product and how is it holding up in say high traffic areas. We paint a lot of schools and need a product that dries fast and holds up. We have been using the product for 2 months so far on a few High Schools with 2-3000 students daily. Our goal is to use it on key high traffic doors and so far we are pleased with the dry time, finish and clean up. Like with any product prep is the key. With this upcoming school year time will tell. Any comments please share...
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Not a fan myself but lots of guys here love it! Do a search..
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #3
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Yeh do a search. Also I recently learned they have a Low VOC version now. Breakthrough 150 I think it's called. That stuff stinks so unless the school is empty for a while (being summer I'm guessing it is now) I would try the low voc version.
Performance is great IMO. I've used it interior and exterior trim. It doesn't like some primers or other not fully cured coatings underneath it. Can cause wrinkling.

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk.com
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
Yeh do a search. Also I recently learned they have a Low VOC version now. Breakthrough 150 I think it's called. That stuff stinks so unless the school is empty for a while (being summer I'm guessing it is now) I would try the low voc version.
Performance is great IMO. I've used it interior and exterior trim. It doesn't like some primers or other not fully cured coatings underneath it. Can cause wrinkling.

Ditto the "not fully cured coatings". Also BMoore's paint and primer in one not a good idea to apply BREAKTHROUGH when fresh or it will strip off. Any previous Sheened LATEX that has fully cured or years old with a little Deglosser works great. So far we have not had an issue with fresh RICHARDS or Prep-Rite latex primers, or spray cans of interior Pro Block. What primers have you had issues with so we can take note. Thanks that is the kind of info we need. For the Low VOC are you referring to PPG Pitt Tech Plus Acrylic DTM? If so any solid results. There is also an Advantage fast dry product under PORTER but have not used it. Feel free to share results, Thanks...
Old 07-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpainting/nick View Post
Not a fan myself but lots of guys here love it! Do a search..
Thanks I have searched and found that most Painters like it but little there after. However we would like for all Painters to see how the product can help when time and money equals success. For example; What we are looking for and if anyone could add is 'Results'. How does the product hold up? One year Two years, does it still look good in very High Traffic areas? In Hospitals, Nursing Homes and in Schools, what are the challenges? What are the alternatives? Is the product compatible with other substrates? What primers other than PPG's list of recommended causes problem? For the money is there something better? We like Alykd products but they are a no-no inside buildings where people work,learn or are cared for. In new construction we use Alykd when requested. What paint tools work the best for brushing and roller work? What spray equipment? Etc, Etc...
Old 07-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post

School itself stinks!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mudbone For This Useful Post:
Exactoman (07-05-2014)
Old 07-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #7
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

I've had good results with it. https://www.painttalk.com/f2/ppg-brea...riences-21342/
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 234
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
School itself stinks!

I've used breakthrough on interior 12 panel windows, end product was beautiful with excellent hardness. But over the last year or so, I have really fallen for Coronado Rust Scat. It lays down better, has just as much hardness, smells better.

Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

What about Pitt glaze? I haven't used it yet, but hear its supposed to be really good. Its there single component acrylic epoxy
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:13 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
View one1's Photo Album My Photos

Just put 15 gall through an air assisted airless onto 36 doors, thinned a gallon with a few ounces of clean water, etched doors sanded then primed with shellack and applied two coats of the bt satin. I used a 210 tip, strained paint frequently. Very nice results with no blocking, doors were hung after 20 minutes of final coat. 1.5 hours start to finish. You can't beat that! It works miracles on cabinets also ( beautifully ) I've never used anything comparable!!!

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com
one1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to one1 For This Useful Post:
Damon T (07-08-2014)
Old 07-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Painting Co. Owner

Rewards Points: 242
View Greg Mrakich's Photo Album My Photos

Adheres to bacon....
Greg Mrakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
Brushmaster

Rewards Points: 147
View Huntercoatings's Photo Album My Photos

I've used breakthrough on multiple occassions, mostly on cabinets. I've been really impressed by it. It adheres very well and can be used as its own primer over most substrates. It levels really nice and has good hardness and flexibility. In schools or very high traffic area's i'd probably go with something that will resist hand oils. Alkyds are great for that, possibly a water-borne alkyd would suite this situation.
Huntercoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 156
View more_prep's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exactoman View Post

I've used breakthrough on interior 12 panel windows, end product was beautiful with excellent hardness. But over the last year or so, I have really fallen for Coronado Rust Scat. It lays down better, has just as much hardness, smells better.

You mean alkyd Rust Scat? That actually smells less than wb Breakthrough? How long does Rust Scat take to cure?
more_prep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

Satin is very dull almost like a flat finish. We did a few doors with it in the past and like I said in not a fan of the finish. If spraying with airless or say a pro shot it can run like a waterfall. Dont get me wrong it's nice to have a product that doesn't block and makes you money just not my finish of choice.

I'm a big PPG fan maybe if I used the breakthrough as much as other guys I'd warm up to it.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75
View wncpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Sprayed some on a 40 year old fiberglass water slide two years ago and looks and holds like the day we put it on after two season of butts and water sliding down it. Have also sprayed it over varnished cabinets and it stuck nice and came out looking great,, It does stink like sh#t and can run if not careful, but I like it
wncpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wncpainter For This Useful Post:
Damon T (07-08-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 234
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos

No WB rust scat. The Breakthrough I know is a WB too. Rust Scat is fully cured in 30 days I'm sure. I know it's fully dry in about 20 minutes though. WB Rust Scat just has a smooth hardened feel. A bit more than breakthrough.

Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exactoman For This Useful Post:
more_prep (07-08-2014)

Tags
None