PPG Marine coatings for outside galvanized railings - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CApainter

Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 278
View Jazz_Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default PPG Marine coatings for outside galvanized railings

Hi all. I have some small railings to paint outside. My customer wants the best product possible in order to do it as less often as possible, as material costs less than labor.

I was oriented towards industrial products by PPG, but my supplier doesn't sell a lot of these products nor do I use them a lot, therefore, the info I'm getting ain't quite clear yet to me.

I know that in the industrial world for infrastructure, a 3 products system is often used. Primer zinc or epoxy, midcoat 2 part epoxy (ex : Amercoat and finish coat with polyurethane (ex Amercoat 450). There are also epoxy topcoats (ex : amercoat 229 T). I'm reading on the PPG protective and marine coatings and there are so many products that it gets quite confusing.

What combo would you guys recommend? Could I use a two products instead of 3 products system? Anybody with experience using those industrial products?

Best regards.
Jazz_Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 04:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

Well with some of the logic here, cleaning, sanding and hitting it with a galvanize metal primer wont work. You will simply need to replace. Now if it were me I would clean with ammonia, sand then use a marine grade primer 2 coats then hit it with an elastomeric. If money is no object get a hold of Jones-Blair and they can hook you up with a primer and a 2 part epoxy.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We use a marine paint for exterior railings. The brand is sloping my mind right now. If I can think of it I will post back.

So far the marine paint is holding up better than regular paints.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,144
Thanked 1,035 Times in 463 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

SSPC-SP-1. Oil and Grease removal. One coat of epoxy mastic. One coat Aliphatic Acrylic Urethane color coat. One coat of Aliphatic Urethane Clear. That's a Cadillac system.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NACE For This Useful Post:
Jazz_Painter (05-24-2016), mustangmike3789 (05-19-2016), pacific paint (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 316
View pacific paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACE View Post
SSPC-SP-1. Oil and Grease removal. One coat of epoxy mastic. One coat Aliphatic Acrylic Urethane color coat. One coat of Aliphatic Urethane Clear. That's a Cadillac system.
That is how to paint a car just a lot more mill thickness in industrial products.
pacific paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
NACE COATINGS INSPECTOR

Rewards Points: 224
View mustangmike3789's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACE View Post
that would be a good system. aluminum mastic, organic zinc or micaceous iron oxide reinforced polyurethane could also be used for any spot repairs to damage areas along with some hand or power tool cleaning to remove any loose rust or white rust.
another option would be to use an acid etching primer for additional bond to the galvanized surace, epoxy intermediate coat and a urethane top coat. I also agree that a clear urethane top coat should be used to provide added UV protection.
an easier / more user friendly option would be to use procryl primer with an acrylic topcoat and a water based acrylic polyurethane clear coat such as acrolon 100 clear.
powder coating would probably be the best option if price is not a concern. these are just a few suggestions but all do require proper surface prep and repairs to any damaged galvanizing.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
NACE (05-19-2016), pacific paint (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 316
View pacific paint's Photo Album My Photos

I hope you are going to bid around $1,400 with labor. (none of these products come in quarts)
The paint is going to cost more than the small rails you have.

Last edited by pacific paint; 05-19-2016 at 09:17 PM..
pacific paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,370
Thanked 9,626 Times in 5,474 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I recently painted two coats of PPG PSX700 Polysiloxane over an un-coated, but aged, galvanized hand railing, using standard prep. Talk about an awsome finish! This stuff dried glossy and hard over night, leaving a nice slick and durable finish.

Be prepared to charge the customer significantly for this product. But next to powder coating, I don't know what's better.

Note: This epoxy/polyurethane is a two component coating that doesn't have the issues with isocyanates, and is actually a lower order than even PPG's Waterborne single component DTM, Pitt Tech Plus.

For real, talk to your supplier about it.

Last edited by CApainter; 05-20-2016 at 10:05 AM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,144
Thanked 1,035 Times in 463 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

Polysiloxanes are awesome, as are silicone alkyds. We can not get them in our state.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 AM   #10

I was advised to use Amercoat 370 epoxy primer and 2 coats of Amercoat 450 HSG Polyurethane topcoat black semi gloss. The ppg rep told me it was the best system I could use, although I doubt it's "the best", I'm hoping it's pretty darn good.

I asked about the midcoat product and was told to put 2 coats of the 450 on top of the primer.

What do you think?

Last edited by Jazz_Painter; 05-24-2016 at 08:27 AM..
Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz_Painter View Post
I was advised to use Amercoat 370 epoxy primer and 2 coats of Amercoat 450 HSG Polyurethane topcoat black semi gloss. The ppg rep told me it was the best system I could use, although I doubt it's "the best", I'm hoping it's pretty darn good.

I asked about the midcoat product and was told to put 2 coats of the 450 on top of the primer.

What do you think?
I used to use the Amerlock 400 quite a bit, with the urethane top coat. Has your supplier mentioned anything about Amerlock 2? It's supposed to be a good all around epoxy.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I used to use the Amerlock 400 quite a bit, with the urethane top coat. Has your supplier mentioned anything about Amerlock 2? It's supposed to be a good all around epoxy.
I talked to a rep that advised me that product, but unfortunately my supplier doesn't hold it. They can't just order a gallon of those products, they have to at least buy a 4 pack, so it depends on the demand they have.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 138
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
I recently painted two coats of PPG PSX700 Polysiloxane over an un-coated, but aged, galvanized hand railing, using standard prep. Talk about an awsome finish! This stuff dried glossy and hard over night, leaving a nice slick and durable finish.

Be prepared to charge the customer significantly for this product. But next to powder coating, I don't know what's better.

Note: This epoxy/polyurethane is a two component coating that doesn't have the issues with isocyanates, and is actually a lower order than even PPG's Waterborne single component DTM, Pitt Tech Plus.

For real, talk to your supplier about it.
What do you mean by lower order?
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoPaco View Post
What do you mean by lower order?
I meant odor. It didn't seem to be all that bad for a two component polyurethane type material.

And given the cost of this material, the OP is probably better served with his supplier's recommendation.
Jazz_Painter likes this.

Tags
None