Pre stain a new swingset? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe67
  • 1 Post By Joe67

Old 05-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83
View jr.sr. painting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Pre stain a new swingset?

Having a new swingset and activity area delivered soon to my house. Itís all made of cedar. I am considering staining it first to get all the edges before assembling it. Would a solid stain give me the most protection or could I go semi transparent? It will be arborcoat. Or just leave it natural? I plan on spraying it if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jr.sr. painting is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,324
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr.sr. painting View Post
Having a new swingset and activity area delivered soon to my house. It’s all made of cedar. I am considering staining it first to get all the edges before assembling it. Would a solid stain give me the most protection or could I go semi transparent? It will be arborcoat. Or just leave it natural? I plan on spraying it if possible.

Complete surface prep is more important than the product and application.

If you want to leave it 'natural' you can use shipnshore which will allow the wood to age but also be protected from weather and bugs.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 690
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

I'd likely pretreat it. But for the bits and pieces it is, probably not worth it get into a sprayer as it needs to be back brushed or rolled for full effect anyway. I'd likely brush and roll.

Exterior product of your choice, but all I can say is end-grains, end-grains, end-grains. Hit them until they stop absorbing. Especially whatever will be down at ground level. The rest is easy.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 10:42 PM   #4

It apparently comes with a clear coat. From the reviews itís not a very good one. Would I be able to use the clear translucent arborcoat over it and have it adhere good?

Old 05-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 690
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

When it shows up, drip some water on it. If the water beads up and doesn't absorb, then it's unlikely that anything you put on it will do much except build up the layers of stuff you'll have to clean up when it starts to fail (which it will). In that case, my own strategy would be to let it ride a year or whatever - wait until it starts soaking up water rather than shedding it (just look whenever it rains), and then wash it down and hit it again. But check the end grains either way... I like the arborocoat. Stick with a clear or translucent and the prep for the next round is easier. But it will likely be an every couple of years thing regardless, depending on weather and sun exposure and all of that.

The company probably has a support line and they might tell you what they used which would probably help.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Joe67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 6,890
Thanked 15,537 Times in 8,186 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I purchased a 12x16 foot gazebo from Costco for our lower deck. It too is cedar and although it says it is coated, I tend to think it was more of a sanding sealer. Regardless, I coated all of the surfaces with a coat of Sansin ENS before beginning to install it. I put two coats on the posts and may end up doing a third.

It imparts a slight color to the finished product. I used a micro fiber roller to do it and am really happy with the end result.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,324
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
It apparently comes with a clear coat. From the reviews it’s not a very good one. Would I be able to use the clear translucent arborcoat over it and have it adhere good?

Do not recommend that...
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:03 AM   #8

I guess Iíll let it go this summer and see how it is next year. I will def seal any end grains that will be ground contact. I did want it to be a nice color not just plain cedar.
Iím not a fan of how red cedar looks after a few years.

Old 05-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #9
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,025
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I guess Iíll let it go this summer and see how it is next year. I will def seal any end grains that will be ground contact. I did want it to be a nice color not just plain cedar.
Iím not a fan of how red cedar looks after a few years.

Just wait a year and hit hit with a coat of the semi-solid acrylic stain, just to give it some colour..But yes end grains are a must.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None