Preloading And Cleaning A Graco Sprayer - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 1 Post By Delta Painting

Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42
View bradleyheathhays's Photo Album My Photos
Default Preloading And Cleaning A Graco Sprayer

I need some advice on how to properly 'pre-rinse' and then clean out my Graco 490 sprayer depending on what material you want to spray.

Recently I've learned that to clean out whatever liquid you've got in there for longer term storage, first you need clean it out by running something through it that's similar to what you'll be spraying. For example if antifreeze is in it you'd want to run lacquer thinner through before spraying a lacquer finish. When you're finished spraying you'd then run lacquer thinner through again to clean out, and then maybe run some mineral spirits through to clean the lacquer thinner out. Does this sound about the right pre-rinse and cleaning procedure for spraying lacquer?

Also I need advice on how to pre-rinse and clean the machine when spraying an oil based polyurethane.

Latex would be simple. I assume to rinse with water first and then clean afterward with soapy water.

Last edited by bradleyheathhays; 09-22-2018 at 11:06 PM..
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,194
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Its not a good idea to leave lacquer thinner in long term (although a company I worked for always had a pump in lacquer thinner, and it always worked fine...) so you flush it with mineral spirits. If you're using oil base, you just leave the mineral spirits in there.

You just want to flush it with a little of the corresponding thinner, before putting material in. Pretty self explanatory.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:42 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 42
View bradleyheathhays's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks. After studying up some more I think I've got it now.
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2018, 02:22 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 326
View SWPB's Photo Album My Photos

I usually clean with lacquer thinner (if it was suggested by the TDS) and followed up with mineral spirits since it's not as hot. With waterbased coatings, I simply ran water through it, followed by a small amount of mineral spirits to keep the leather packings from swelling / deteriorating. Pump protector for long storages. Never leave water for extended storage because it can rust some of the internals of certain sprayers from what the repair shop told me. Seemed like most of the sprayers in the graveyard (aka repair shop) had bad packings, stuck check balls (usually from lack of cleaning), or rusted internals. Clean it well, periodically check / clean all filters (rock catcher, manifold filter, and gun filter), and service it at regular intervals. It's like a car ... your level of maintenance will determine how long it lasts in most cases.

Side bar: the repair facility sold a ton of Graco sprayers, but actually endorsed Titan for their personal preference. The technician said the Titan has a basic design where there were less parts to break for what its worth. Anymore, all of these sprayers have more & more electronics, so just like automobiles, it's another thing to go bad that requires a repair shop (versus repairing it yourself) in most cases.
SWPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,160
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos

a question along the same lines can i push out an oil based product with latex or do i need to rinse first? conversely can i push out latex with oil?
Vylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylum View Post
a question along the same lines can i push out an oil based product with latex or do i need to rinse first? conversely can i push out latex with oil?
Rinse well with the appropriate solvent (thinner or water) before switching either way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Vylum likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 5,704
Thanked 15,412 Times in 8,084 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I always store mine with thinner in it. So if spraying oil I just put the siphon immediately into the product and run it until straight paint is coming out before I commence spraying. When spraying latex, I’ll run water through it for a few minutes before putting the siphon into the paint.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 182
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Dawn dish soap is a pumps best friend IMHO. I use it after a thinner rinse for oil to clean the line, pump and gun works great at reducing gumming up.
lilpaintchic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 158
View Gracobucks's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Its not a good idea to leave lacquer thinner in long term (although a company I worked for always had a pump in lacquer thinner, and it always worked fine...) so you flush it with mineral spirits. If you're using oil base, you just leave the mineral spirits in there.

You just want to flush it with a little of the corresponding thinner, before putting material in. Pretty self explanatory.
We have a 390 we use for clear lacquer only, it's only been cleaned twice in 12 years. Still works good.

I found if you switch from oil to latex you'll have lots of problems. We try to keep a machine only latex or only oil.
Gracobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 5,194
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIDANLYNN View Post
if need new machine , consider me Aidan
Why would you come on a 6 month old thread to try to sell a sprayer???
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None