Primers - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 138
View ElTacoPaco's Photo Album My Photos
Default Primers

There is a primer for every job. I need for y'all to help me out and narrow down what primers to carry. I am about to open up an account with Rust-Oleum direct and they carry Gardz, Zinsser and XIM among others. I would like for you guys to suggest what works best for you and not worry about pricing. For example what is your go to for Wood? Go to for basic drywall? Go to for Exterior? I current am thinking about Coverstain, and BIN shelac because they are well known and recognized and tried and true. I came accross Smart Prime or Zinsser 123 Plus (for box stores) and would like to know what you think. Also need to know about XIM since i dont have thay much info or experience with XIM.
ElTacoPaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTacoPaco View Post
There is a primer for every job. I need for y'all to help me out and narrow down what primers to carry. I am about to open up an account with Rust-Oleum direct and they carry Gardz, Zinsser and XIM among others. I would like for you guys to suggest what works best for you and not worry about pricing. For example what is your go to for Wood? Go to for basic drywall? Go to for Exterior? I current am thinking about Coverstain, and BIN shelac because they are well known and recognized and tried and true. I came accross Smart Prime or Zinsser 123 Plus (for box stores) and would like to know what you think. Also need to know about XIM since i dont have thay much info or experience with XIM.
There is no such a thing. Every job is different.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:24 AM   #3
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
For example what is your go to for Wood?
The best for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Primers-20150822_100923.jpg  

|
|
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2015, 01:29 AM   #4
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
Go to for basic drywall?
Attached Thumbnails
Primers-20130804_152130.jpg  

|
|
|
|
|
Old 12-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #5
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
Go to for Exterior?
I'm a Ben Moore guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Primers-20131006_113934.jpg  

Primers-20130503_164820.jpg  

Primers-img_20120410_130859.jpg  

|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by ReNt A PaInTeR; 12-30-2015 at 01:40 AM..
Old 12-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 312
View Crackshot's Photo Album My Photos

zinny coverstain and zinny bin sealer. pretty much can do anything now. maybe not boats.
Crackshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReNt A PaInTeR View Post
There is no such a thing. Every job is different.
I understand this there is no one size fits all but what is your go to or what do you use on ext wood, drywall, stains, cabinets etc etc
Old 12-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Quote:
I'm a Ben Moore guy.
You and I both
I habe been wanting to carry the FS oil primer but looking at options that are disposable I can get rust oleum now so that means zinssee and I know somethimes Contractors bawk at the price of fresh start
Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
I'm a Ben Moore guy.
Tell me how do you like that elasto? Have you seen the product age? I am trying to get some feedback because it is a white base and only carries a small amount of tint. Also want to know how it will resist against fading being an elasto and all
Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 38
Thanked 4,705 Times in 3,173 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

You are either not going to get very good margins with the Zinsser line or you aren't going to sell much of it. You are either going to have to keep your prices extremely low or not sell any because every box store on the planet sells it dirt cheap. To me it isn't worth stocking if I have to sell it below cost to sell it at a competitive price. Not a good investment if there are any Home Depots, Lowe's, Menard's Walmart, True Value, Do it Best, Ace, or any other large chain DIY stores in your area. I would look into XIM or Insul-x as a second primer line.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
NACE (12-31-2015)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
You are either not going to get very good margins with the Zinsser line or you aren't going to sell much of it. You are either going to have to keep your prices extremely low or not sell any because every box store on the planet sells it dirt cheap. To me it isn't worth stocking if I have to sell it below cost to sell it at a competitive price. Not a good investment if there are any Home Depots, Lowe's, Menard's Walmart, True Value, Do it Best, Ace, or any other large chain DIY stores in your area. I would look into XIM or Insul-x as a second primer line.
Well going with Rust-Oleum Direct I do get good prices
Old 12-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #12

Quote:
And XIM is part of rust oleum so I can also carry that as well. As for Inslx i have no idea what to carry with them since dont know all that much about them. I do carry some stix but 50+ a gallon is steep and some big boxes still have contracts with them so I also cant compete in price with inslx (i.e Cabinet Coat)
Old 12-30-2015, 10:35 AM   #13
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
You and I both
I habe been wanting to carry the FS oil primer but looking at options that are disposable I can get rust oleum now so that means zinssee and I know somethimes Contractors bawk at the price of fresh start
I have tried SW A-100 Oil primer but same as with others they dry fast. This is a slow drying that penetrates really well.

|
|
|
|
|
Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #14
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
Tell me how do you like that elasto? Have you seen the product age? I am trying to get some feedback because it is a white base and only carries a small amount of tint. Also want to know how it will resist against fading being an elasto and all
Elastomeric works great. Only light colors.

When fading is an issue on a darker color I put 2 coats of Elastomeric and either a final coat of BM Mooorgard or Moorlife.

|
|
|
|
|
Old 12-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Elastomeric works great. Only light colors.

When fading is an issue on a darker color I put 2 coats of Elastomeric and either a final coat of BM Mooorgard or Moorlife.
You are a dream painter lol
Most just leave it as is get the check and call it a day
But that many coats wouldnt that be super heavy the BM drying about 7 mils and regal about 2ish
Old 12-30-2015, 10:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Would you be able to send me a pic of your primer wall. Mine is looking weak so definitely looking for reinforcements
Old 12-30-2015, 10:41 AM   #17

My Primer Wall : (
Attached Thumbnails
Primers-1451486472360.jpg  

Old 12-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #18
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Gardz for sure, Zinsser 123, Coverstain, Bin
Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #19
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Quote:
My Primer Wall : (
Why do you stack all the gallons sideways??

|
|
|
|
|
Old 12-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 38
Thanked 4,705 Times in 3,173 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I have tried SW A-100 Oil primer but same as with others they dry fast. This is a slow drying that penetrates really well.
A-100 oil primer is the only good product with A-100 on the label as far as I'm concerned.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None