Regal Select Flat--Issues - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
KEEGAN WORKS LLC
 
KEEGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 96
Rewards Points: 97
Thanks: 59
Thanked 49 Times in 23 Posts
View KEEGS's Photo Album My Photos
Default Regal Select Flat--Issues

Fast year...have not posted in a while (mostly because things have been going well)...just have a situation and needed to reach out to the PT comunity. So, landed a nice "simple", foyer/Family room repaint (2 story, lots of light). House is 3 years old, and we painted it when it was new construction. The home owner picked out a deeper color BM 1076 "Capilano Bridge", I believe it is a 2x base. HO wanted flat...so, we used Regal Select Flat. Yesterday we brushed and rolled, like normal, used a 14" wooster to keep everything moving. worked on some other stuff, recoated later in the day, about 3 hours after last application. Arrived on the job this morning...pretty awful looking . Meant to take photos, but was to busy trying to troubleshoot. All kinds of picture framing and lapping, lots of unevenness throughout. We have used Ben Flat and it is FLAT! I don't have the slightest idea what happened...but at 43.00 a gallon, I am pretty pissed. My family has been painting forever-we know how to paint...so what gives? I called BM rep, he was like. "oh it's just coalescence"...really? Even went as far to say that in a few days it will "all lay out fine". I am feeling like that is a total wad of Sh*t! Oh, btw, this is a foyer with a mid cross bridge, open to the family room, which is all being painted.

So, right off the bat, if you hate BM, please smile, and wiggle your toes in private. If you use a ton of BM like us, your thoughts, and/or suggestions would be totally appreciated. I just haven't experienced flats that look like 1 coat of eggshell over a flat wall...gross, and unacceptable. My customer hasn't really been paying attention too closely, so I could completely save face tomorrow, by finding a remedy, and fixing that gross mess before close of business tomorrow.

Thanks in advance to all who chime-in.

Keegs...
KEEGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Zoomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,147
Rewards Points: 526
Thanks: 181
Thanked 515 Times in 348 Posts
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I suggest take photos of walls, save all cans of used regal, then use Ben. Insist to ben moore rep that you get credit for regal. We both know you will never get fully credited for labor. Has happened to us a time or two over the years. As long as we dont lose our patience, we have always been comped by reps. Good luck
Zoomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,745
Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanks: 1,140
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Some of these deep base flats aren't really at all flat. Even though they call it a flat it's gott an eggshell like finish maybe even semi. I can spot the stuff whatever brand it is as soon as I pour it put of the can because it is almost a jelly like material. When I use it I keep all of my cuts small as possible and keep coating it till it looks good. If it's the kind of a material that I think I can get it to look good but it will never be flat. It's not flat despite what the label may say.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
PatsPainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,840
Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanks: 1,785
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Wish I could see some photos, maybe tomorrow if you get a chance take a few. It seems the darker the color the more sheen the paint displays. I try to always treat regal select like aura or a water base enamel. Smallest cut lines as possible and keep that edge wet. Just recently used smoky taupe "983" and it covered like chit. took two coats for sure over a similar color.

Even though we have all been painting for years, when new chit is released it's like starting all over again. Learning curve to figure out how to get best looking results. It does lay out a little better after a few days.

With out seeing pictures its hard to figure out what happened. guessing you just got one of those 2 bases that are hard to work with.

Pat
__________________
Quote:
Have fun with it you clownshoe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
straight_lines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wilmington, N.C.
Posts: 7,822
Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanks: 5,686
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines
Default

I know its a silly seeming question but.. Did you stir it well? I have found select to be very finicky and wanting to separate in certain colors.

Check out these photos of mine from a job I had this happen on.

https://www.painttalk.com/f2/regal-se...x2/#post215377
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Dry as Rye
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 497
Rewards Points: 340
Thanks: 149
Thanked 242 Times in 151 Posts
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Did you box your gallons? I know, dumb question but I have to ask.

I didn't have sheen issues with the Flat, but I didn't care for it in that line.
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
KEEGAN WORKS LLC
 
KEEGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 96
Rewards Points: 97
Thanks: 59
Thanked 49 Times in 23 Posts
View KEEGS's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Not silly..they came off the shaker that morning, and we boxed and stirred evrything on the job just prior to application. The way that select flat looks is like a punch in my face! Keep the comments coming...Thanks again. Instinct tells me to get some Ben Flat, and let it rip. But I am waiting for the rest of the comments...always open to better suggestions. And. yes, I am definately getting reimbursed for material (God knows we would never see a penny of labor money...bastards).
KEEGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
PatsPainting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,840
Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanks: 1,785
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEGS View Post
(God knows we would never see a penny of labor money...bastards).
I dunno about all that, I have seen personally our rep comp a painter for their labor, and actually I was just brought in to do a small repaint where the colors came out wrong where my rep was going to comp all the labor and materials to make the customer happy. previous painters took off. And personally I did not even think the issue was the fault of BM's. Well some of maybe. Either way from my personal experience BM is not as cheap as some might believe. Why I take pride in using their stuff. Not a perfect world out there. mistakes happen from time to time.

Pat
__________________
Quote:
Have fun with it you clownshoe!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: mo.
Posts: 4,125
Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanks: 1,335
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEGS View Post
Fast year...have not posted in a while (mostly because things have been going well)...just have a situation and needed to reach out to the PT comunity. So, landed a nice "simple", foyer/Family room repaint (2 story, lots of light). House is 3 years old, and we painted it when it was new construction. The home owner picked out a deeper color BM 1076 "Capilano Bridge", I believe it is a 2x base. HO wanted flat...so, we used Regal Select Flat. Yesterday we brushed and rolled, like normal, used a 14" wooster to keep everything moving. worked on some other stuff, recoated later in the day, about 3 hours after last application. Arrived on the job this morning...pretty awful looking . Meant to take photos, but was to busy trying to troubleshoot. All kinds of picture framing and lapping, lots of unevenness throughout. We have used Ben Flat and it is FLAT! I don't have the slightest idea what happened...but at 43.00 a gallon, I am pretty pissed. My family has been painting forever-we know how to paint...so what gives? I called BM rep, he was like. "oh it's just coalescence"...really? Even went as far to say that in a few days it will "all lay out fine". I am feeling like that is a total wad of Sh*t! Oh, btw, this is a foyer with a mid cross bridge, open to the family room, which is all being painted.

So, right off the bat, if you hate BM, please smile, and wiggle your toes in private. If you use a ton of BM like us, your thoughts, and/or suggestions would be totally appreciated. I just haven't experienced flats that look like 1 coat of eggshell over a flat wall...gross, and unacceptable. My customer hasn't really been paying attention too closely, so I could completely save face tomorrow, by finding a remedy, and fixing that gross mess before close of business tomorrow.

Thanks in advance to all who chime-in.

Keegs...
Coalescence or coincidence.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: mo.
Posts: 4,125
Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanks: 1,335
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csheils View Post
Did you box your gallons? I know, dumb question but I have to ask.

I didn't have sheen issues with the Flat, but I didn't care for it in that line.
Did you box reps?
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: mo.
Posts: 4,125
Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanks: 1,335
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEGS View Post
Not silly..they came off the shaker that morning, and we boxed and stirred evrything on the job just prior to application. The way that select flat looks is like a punch in my face! Keep the comments coming...Thanks again. Instinct tells me to get some Ben Flat, and let it rip. But I am waiting for the rest of the comments...always open to better suggestions. And. yes, I am definately getting reimbursed for material (God knows we would never see a penny of labor money...bastards).
That would make you want to change your name from Keegs to Kegs!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
ROOMINADAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 1,716
Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanks: 632
Thanked 952 Times in 628 Posts
View ROOMINADAY's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Flats can still look like crap in critical lighting. I have a wall in my house that looks terrible at sunset. I will skim (level 5) and hit with eggshell when I get bored

I am not fan of Regal Ultimat flat, Bath and Spa is WAY better.
ROOMINADAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
repaintpro
 
Repaintpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 971
Rewards Points: 1,272
Thanks: 857
Thanked 762 Times in 435 Posts
View Repaintpro's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Even over here some flats tend to not take tint as well as others and end up picture framing etc. IMHO, use what you know will work when tinted. I know we have to change ceiling paints when tinting to deeper colours.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Steve Lockyer ph: 040 33 111 25
Repaintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
repaintpro
 
Repaintpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 971
Rewards Points: 1,272
Thanks: 857
Thanked 762 Times in 435 Posts
View Repaintpro's Photo Album My Photos
Default

A few years ago we had a batch of sienna tint that just kept getting darker and darker the more you brushed or rolled it. Nothing to do with the paint, it was actually a tint issue.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Steve Lockyer ph: 040 33 111 25
Repaintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Dry as Rye
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 497
Rewards Points: 340
Thanks: 149
Thanked 242 Times in 151 Posts
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Did you box reps?
What?
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
KEEGAN WORKS LLC
 
KEEGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 96
Rewards Points: 97
Thanks: 59
Thanked 49 Times in 23 Posts
View KEEGS's Photo Album My Photos
Default

[QUOTE=ROOMINADAY;354264]Flats can still look like crap in critical lighting. I have a wall in my house that looks terrible at sunset.

"Critical Lighting"...is definately part of the problem...light bouncing everywhere in the foyer, but that comes with the territory and every pro should know how to operate with those conditions. It is the products that fail us that is so frustrating...
Regal Select Flat--Issues-paint.jpg
Regal Select Flat--Issues-paint2.jpg

Last edited by KEEGS; 11-15-2012 at 10:32 PM..
KEEGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
NACE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 1,125
Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanks: 382
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos
Default

What was on the wall previously? Another Flat? A Builders Flat ?
NACE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gaylord,MI.
Posts: 241
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 12
Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
View 1963 Sovereign's Photo Album My Photos
Default

would it have been a waste of time to prime and two coat?
1963 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
KEEGAN WORKS LLC
 
KEEGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 96
Rewards Points: 97
Thanks: 59
Thanked 49 Times in 23 Posts
View KEEGS's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963 Sovereign
would it have been a waste of time to prime and two coat?
Basically had builders flat as a substrate. BM Super Hide Flat....3years old.
KEEGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gaylord,MI.
Posts: 241
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 12
Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
View 1963 Sovereign's Photo Album My Photos
Default

but A primer would have sealed the surface and allowed the cuts to dry in a bit more slowly, but then again I love to prime.. maybe I am biased.
1963 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regal Select ddemair General Painting Discussion 21 08-29-2012 06:36 PM
Regal Select Matte ColorQuest General Painting Discussion 11 07-23-2012 08:44 AM
Regal select over Regal. Lee Decorating Corp. General Painting Discussion 8 12-20-2011 04:32 PM
Who is using Regal Select Exterior? straight_lines General Painting Discussion 47 07-23-2011 01:11 PM
Regal select Bighead General Painting Discussion 34 06-21-2011 07:42 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com