Regal Select Flat--Issues - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
KEEGAN WORKS LLC

Rewards Points: 97
View KEEGS's Photo Album My Photos
Default Regal Select Flat--Issues

Fast year...have not posted in a while (mostly because things have been going well)...just have a situation and needed to reach out to the PT comunity. So, landed a nice "simple", foyer/Family room repaint (2 story, lots of light). House is 3 years old, and we painted it when it was new construction. The home owner picked out a deeper color BM 1076 "Capilano Bridge", I believe it is a 2x base. HO wanted flat...so, we used Regal Select Flat. Yesterday we brushed and rolled, like normal, used a 14" wooster to keep everything moving. worked on some other stuff, recoated later in the day, about 3 hours after last application. Arrived on the job this morning...pretty awful looking . Meant to take photos, but was to busy trying to troubleshoot. All kinds of picture framing and lapping, lots of unevenness throughout. We have used Ben Flat and it is FLAT! I don't have the slightest idea what happened...but at 43.00 a gallon, I am pretty pissed. My family has been painting forever-we know how to paint...so what gives? I called BM rep, he was like. "oh it's just coalescence"...really? Even went as far to say that in a few days it will "all lay out fine". I am feeling like that is a total wad of Sh*t! Oh, btw, this is a foyer with a mid cross bridge, open to the family room, which is all being painted.

So, right off the bat, if you hate BM, please smile, and wiggle your toes in private. If you use a ton of BM like us, your thoughts, and/or suggestions would be totally appreciated. I just haven't experienced flats that look like 1 coat of eggshell over a flat wall...gross, and unacceptable. My customer hasn't really been paying attention too closely, so I could completely save face tomorrow, by finding a remedy, and fixing that gross mess before close of business tomorrow.

Thanks in advance to all who chime-in.

Keegs...
KEEGS is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 526
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos

I suggest take photos of walls, save all cans of used regal, then use Ben. Insist to ben moore rep that you get credit for regal. We both know you will never get fully credited for labor. Has happened to us a time or two over the years. As long as we dont lose our patience, we have always been comped by reps. Good luck
Zoomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

Some of these deep base flats aren't really at all flat. Even though they call it a flat it's gott an eggshell like finish maybe even semi. I can spot the stuff whatever brand it is as soon as I pour it put of the can because it is almost a jelly like material. When I use it I keep all of my cuts small as possible and keep coating it till it looks good. If it's the kind of a material that I think I can get it to look good but it will never be flat. It's not flat despite what the label may say.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Wish I could see some photos, maybe tomorrow if you get a chance take a few. It seems the darker the color the more sheen the paint displays. I try to always treat regal select like aura or a water base enamel. Smallest cut lines as possible and keep that edge wet. Just recently used smoky taupe "983" and it covered like chit. took two coats for sure over a similar color.

Even though we have all been painting for years, when new chit is released it's like starting all over again. Learning curve to figure out how to get best looking results. It does lay out a little better after a few days.

With out seeing pictures its hard to figure out what happened. guessing you just got one of those 2 bases that are hard to work with.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I know its a silly seeming question but.. Did you stir it well? I have found select to be very finicky and wanting to separate in certain colors.

Check out these photos of mine from a job I had this happen on.

https://www.painttalk.com/f2/regal-se...x2/#post215377

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Dry as Rye

Rewards Points: 340
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos

Did you box your gallons? I know, dumb question but I have to ask.

I didn't have sheen issues with the Flat, but I didn't care for it in that line.
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
KEEGAN WORKS LLC

Not silly..they came off the shaker that morning, and we boxed and stirred evrything on the job just prior to application. The way that select flat looks is like a punch in my face! Keep the comments coming...Thanks again. Instinct tells me to get some Ben Flat, and let it rip. But I am waiting for the rest of the comments...always open to better suggestions. And. yes, I am definately getting reimbursed for material (God knows we would never see a penny of labor money...bastards).
Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEGS View Post
(God knows we would never see a penny of labor money...bastards).
I dunno about all that, I have seen personally our rep comp a painter for their labor, and actually I was just brought in to do a small repaint where the colors came out wrong where my rep was going to comp all the labor and materials to make the customer happy. previous painters took off. And personally I did not even think the issue was the fault of BM's. Well some of maybe. Either way from my personal experience BM is not as cheap as some might believe. Why I take pride in using their stuff. Not a perfect world out there. mistakes happen from time to time.

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs down

Quote:
Fast year...have not posted in a while (mostly because things have been going well)...just have a situation and needed to reach out to the PT comunity. So, landed a nice "simple", foyer/Family room repaint (2 story, lots of light). House is 3 years old, and we painted it when it was new construction. The home owner picked out a deeper color BM 1076 "Capilano Bridge", I believe it is a 2x base. HO wanted flat...so, we used Regal Select Flat. Yesterday we brushed and rolled, like normal, used a 14" wooster to keep everything moving. worked on some other stuff, recoated later in the day, about 3 hours after last application. Arrived on the job this morning...pretty awful looking . Meant to take photos, but was to busy trying to troubleshoot. All kinds of picture framing and lapping, lots of unevenness throughout. We have used Ben Flat and it is FLAT! I don't have the slightest idea what happened...but at 43.00 a gallon, I am pretty pissed. My family has been painting forever-we know how to paint...so what gives? I called BM rep, he was like. "oh it's just coalescence"...really? Even went as far to say that in a few days it will "all lay out fine". I am feeling like that is a total wad of Sh*t! Oh, btw, this is a foyer with a mid cross bridge, open to the family room, which is all being painted.

So, right off the bat, if you hate BM, please smile, and wiggle your toes in private. If you use a ton of BM like us, your thoughts, and/or suggestions would be totally appreciated. I just haven't experienced flats that look like 1 coat of eggshell over a flat wall...gross, and unacceptable. My customer hasn't really been paying attention too closely, so I could completely save face tomorrow, by finding a remedy, and fixing that gross mess before close of business tomorrow.

Thanks in advance to all who chime-in.

Keegs...
Coalescence or coincidence.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csheils View Post
Did you box your gallons? I know, dumb question but I have to ask.

I didn't have sheen issues with the Flat, but I didn't care for it in that line.
Did you box reps?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Not silly..they came off the shaker that morning, and we boxed and stirred evrything on the job just prior to application. The way that select flat looks is like a punch in my face! Keep the comments coming...Thanks again. Instinct tells me to get some Ben Flat, and let it rip. But I am waiting for the rest of the comments...always open to better suggestions. And. yes, I am definately getting reimbursed for material (God knows we would never see a penny of labor money...bastards).
That would make you want to change your name from Keegs to Kegs!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
View ROOMINADAY's Photo Album My Photos

Flats can still look like crap in critical lighting. I have a wall in my house that looks terrible at sunset. I will skim (level 5) and hit with eggshell when I get bored

I am not fan of Regal Ultimat flat, Bath and Spa is WAY better.
ROOMINADAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
repaintpro

Rewards Points: 1,272
View Repaintpro's Photo Album My Photos

Even over here some flats tend to not take tint as well as others and end up picture framing etc. IMHO, use what you know will work when tinted. I know we have to change ceiling paints when tinting to deeper colours.

Steve Lockyer ph: 040 33 111 25
Repaintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
repaintpro

Rewards Points: 1,272
View Repaintpro's Photo Album My Photos

A few years ago we had a batch of sienna tint that just kept getting darker and darker the more you brushed or rolled it. Nothing to do with the paint, it was actually a tint issue.

Steve Lockyer ph: 040 33 111 25
Repaintpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
Dry as Rye

Rewards Points: 340
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Did you box reps?
What?
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
KEEGAN WORKS LLC

[QUOTE=ROOMINADAY;354264]Flats can still look like crap in critical lighting. I have a wall in my house that looks terrible at sunset.

"Critical Lighting"...is definately part of the problem...light bouncing everywhere in the foyer, but that comes with the territory and every pro should know how to operate with those conditions. It is the products that fail us that is so frustrating...
Regal Select Flat--Issues-paint.jpg
Regal Select Flat--Issues-paint2.jpg

Last edited by KEEGS; 11-15-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

What was on the wall previously? Another Flat? A Builders Flat ?
NACE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 150
View 1963 Sovereign's Photo Album My Photos

would it have been a waste of time to prime and two coat?
1963 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
KEEGAN WORKS LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963 Sovereign
would it have been a waste of time to prime and two coat?
Basically had builders flat as a substrate. BM Super Hide Flat....3years old.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #20

Rewards Points: 150
View 1963 Sovereign's Photo Album My Photos

but A primer would have sealed the surface and allowed the cuts to dry in a bit more slowly, but then again I love to prime.. maybe I am biased.
1963 Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None