removing oil based semi solid deck stain from a deck - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 10-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View rhbrownpainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default removing oil based semi solid deck stain from a deck

the deck is currently stained with Behr oil base semi solid deck stain. is it possible? the owner has tried several basic crappy home depot strippers with little luck. my rep down at Benjamin Moore suggested to use BENJAMIN MOOREŽ REMOVE FINISH REMOVER 315. i'm just wondering if any of you guys have used it or have a better solution other than sanding the deck. there is about 60 linear fit of railing with pickets in it, so sanding is really not an option.
rhbrownpainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

http://www.opwdecks.com/hd-80-wood-stripper-10lbs.htm

8 oz per gallon applied straight with a pump up. Keep it wet for 20 minutes (if any chem dries, its not working) by misting with more stripper.

Wash deck with 800-1000 psi.

Wash off at low pressure. You HAVE to neutralize with this:
http://www.opwdecks.com/citralic-woo...tener-2lbs.htm

Dump the 2 lb container into a pail, add water and stir thoroughly. Run that through the pump up (after you have triple rinsed it).

Behr alkyd/hybrids are brutal strips. You may have to strip twice before you neutralize. if you do not neutralize, the wood and new finish will be black or VERY dark.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
APC (10-17-2009), Mantis (10-16-2009), rhbrownpainting (10-16-2009)
Old 10-16-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
House Painting Reading PA

Rewards Points: 250
View 4ThGeneration's Photo Album My Photos

The HD80 Works wonders. I actually added a booster from ACR Products with the HD80 from The Sealer Store that caused even the latex coatings to come off with just a little more labor than a oil based strip.

Remember to get that thing sanded properly because that is a forgotten step that will set apart the Pros from the Joes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In Berks County PA 484-334-1311

Last edited by 4ThGeneration; 10-17-2009 at 01:16 AM..
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Star-10 stripper works. I sell that for stripping log homes. Not famliar with HD80, sounds caustic.....but if it works, its worth it. The BM 315 is good for semi trans stains. It can work on solids, but it depends how worn they are as to how well it works. Th longer you let it sit the better, and a bit of scrubbing helps.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25
View BehrPro Support's Photo Album My Photos

We have a ready-to-use exterior stripper that can help you remove the stain.
Premium Stain & Finish Stripper No. 64 is used for oil, latex-based, solid
and semi-transparent stains and clear sealers. It also removes loose wood
fibers without sanding on weathered wood. This product was created
especially for use on wood deck and siding surfaces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BehrPro Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

Nick, this is nitpicking but I feel it belies your purpose and muddies your perceived intent if you hawk your product lines. I mean no disrespect to you and of course you are doing what comes naturally. I just don't think this is the place to be selling if you want to be taken for your originally stated and intended purpose.

I do realize you are only trying to be helpful.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View BehrPro Support's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressurePros View Post
Nick, this is nitpicking but I feel it belies your purpose and muddies your perceived intent if you hawk your product lines. I mean no disrespect to you and of course you are doing what comes naturally. I just don't think this is the place to be selling if you want to be taken for your originally stated and intended purpose.

I do realize you are only trying to be helpful.
Ken,

Sorry if that came across as sales-like, I really was just trying to offer a solution. My apologies.

We do not intend to use this tool as a sales resource, but thought this would be a helpful response.

BehrPro Support is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None