repaint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 04-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View pattj65's Photo Album My Photos
Default repaint

I have just repainted a couple of rooms with benmoore eggshell finish. The walls look good when your looking straight at them but when you get right up to the end of the wall and look down it You can see adifference in the sheen or shade of the color but when you back up and look straight at it it looks great. I used a purdy 3/8 nap roller and this was over a wall that was already painted I believe it was wallboard and taped not skim coat plaster. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pat
pattj65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

How many coats and what product?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 160
Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,818 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

And what color?
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150
View jsheridan's Photo Album My Photos

Homeowner/DIY alert. Basic texture flash.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 1,377 Times in 605 Posts
View Roamer's Photo Album My Photos

Eggshell sheen typically needs two coats for uniformity of sheen. What's more, if you patched the wall before painting the drywall compound can also cause the sheen to flash if it wasn't properly primed before painting.

Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
How many coats and what product?
The home owner had California paint I went over the same color witch is a tan this paint is probably 1 1//2 years old but the can was full and when I rolled the wall alot of tiny air bubbles came up after it sat on the wall for a minute I rolled over them and they stopped this wall had 2 coats. The master bedroom was a light green and is new paint ben moore and I am going over the same color one coat on the green. Same thing happened in both rooms.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Homeowner/DIY alert. Basic texture flash.
Whats basic texture flash and how would I stop it
Old 04-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #8

A texture flash is what occurs when you put a sheen paint on a surface with varying textures. A painted wall has a very distinct texture, when you patch with joint compound, you create a new, smoother texture different from the rest of the wall. Since a sheen reflects light and different textures reflect light differently, you can see the differences in the way that light is reflected. Sidelight highlights texture, which is why you don't see it straight on but do looking down the wall. It differs from flashing caused by not priming, which is really a non-uniformly sealed surface that creates low spots or high spots, low spots, undersealed, or high spots, oversealed. High spots, shiners, occur when you spot prime a ceiling finished with flat. Priming doesn't do a lot to resolve texture flashes, but do your spot priming with a roller because a brush might just highlight brush marks. Sheen paints aren't the best choice on walls that are heavily patched, especially if they are long or high and provide the vantage of long view.
To build on Roamers point, yes, one coat of eggshell is generally not sufficient for unifomity. You might also have a problem with e/shell if you roll back into it too much.
Once it starts to set it must be left alone. As I said before, modified, sheen paints are not ideal for long or high walls, too finicky. I found Aura, BM, to be very forgiving when rolling. Don't mess with the air bubble, that's how paint dries and forms the orange peel effect, which are craters formed when the air bubbles pop. Rolling back over it to get rid of the bubbles may have also caused your problem.

Last edited by jsheridan; 04-08-2011 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: add to
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Pretty much what Joe said sums it up.

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattj65 View Post
The home owner had California paint I went over the same color witch is a tan this paint is probably 1 1//2 years old but the can was full and when I rolled the wall alot of tiny air bubbles came up after it sat on the wall for a minute I rolled over them and they stopped this wall had 2 coats. The master bedroom was a light green and is new paint ben moore and I am going over the same color one coat on the green. Same thing happened in both rooms.
Bubbles? hmm that sounds like a cheap roller cover? What cover did you use?

EDIT:I should say some more expensive roller covers produce bubbles too. Avalon and Sherfab's do. The cheap green ones from Wooster (Painters Choice) do too, badly. Odd name for a cover I would never finish anything with.

Last edited by jack pauhl; 04-08-2011 at 11:06 PM..
jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

joe... been doing Gardz on high walls prior to painting them with eggshell. All too common was color changes on newly built homes that were painted with flat and cheap flat vs high dollar flat still works against you because its flat.

I highly recommend Gardz over any flat for large areas to allow more working time. 16' is a long run even with an 18" roller and Gardz will allow the eg to stay wet.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #12
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 160
Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,818 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Like Joe said, except for the air bubble part. Air bubbles are not normal and do not cause the orange peel texture on walls. That is from the roller selected and the amount is based on how well the finish flows out. If you are using older paint, sometimes the defoaming agents can go bad and cause air bubbles.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #13
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

When your rolling a wall, your pad is putting on paint, as well as taking it back off. Its meant to apply an equal amount of product as you work your way across the wall. What happens when you notice air bubbles, like in your case, and you jump back and re-roll areas that have already "tacked up", your pad is no longer putting on and equally taking off paint. The tacked area is taking more paint because its already started to dry, and if your only rolling the bubbles in certain areas of the wall it will leave you with a variance in sheen.
Different Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Like Joe said, except for the air bubble part. Air bubbles are not normal and do not cause the orange peel texture on walls. That is from the roller selected and the amount is based on how well the finish flows out. If you are using older paint, sometimes the defoaming agents can go bad and cause air bubbles.
Years ago I did a small wooden romeo/juliet balcony with BM floor enamel, brand new can. I rolled it on and there were air bubbles in the finish. Not large but not microscopic either. they dried into the finish and created a sand type feel and look, but it was a uniform look and it really didn't look like hell. I told the customer what happened and told him it was an unintended anti-skid effect. He liked that. What happened? It was explained to me that when you roll it infuses air into the paint which forms minute bubbles. As the paint dries the bubbles burst but the paint doesn't flow back to level because it's setting up. That contributes to the texture of a rolled wall. and I have looked closely at wet walls and seen it. In my case the finish set up too fast for that to happen and it trapped the air. It wasn't in the sun but it was a brutally hot day. I used the rest of that can on a later job with no similar problem. I wasn't talking to OP about blisters. That's the way it was explained to me, if it was bull poop, it was certainly a creative explanation.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
joe... been doing Gardz on high walls prior to painting them with eggshell. All too common was color changes on newly built homes that were painted with flat and cheap flat vs high dollar flat still works against you because its flat.

I highly recommend Gardz over any flat for large areas to allow more working time. 16' is a long run even with an 18" roller and Gardz will allow the eg to stay wet.

still works against you because its flat. ???????

Old 04-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 79
View Contractor Jeff's Photo Album My Photos

If there is any pattern to the sheen, it could be the wallboard job wasn't done well. Nothing can cure that.

Last edited by Contractor Jeff; 04-09-2011 at 04:30 AM..
Contractor Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
Bubbles? hmm that sounds like a cheap roller cover? What cover did you use?

EDIT:I should say some more expensive roller covers produce bubbles too. Avalon and Sherfab's do. The cheap green ones from Wooster (Painters Choice) do too, badly. Odd name for a cover I would never finish anything with.
I always use purdy rollers and brushes
Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contractor Jeff View Post
If there is any pattern to the sheen, it could be the wallboard job wasn't done well. Nothing can cure that.
Some of the walls I think it is the tape job but the one in the hall with the air bubbles is definatley the paint no pattern there is also a big window in the bedroom at the end of the hall when shades are open it looks worse
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 79
View Contractor Jeff's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds to me like your paint got absorbed unevenly into the original paint surface, which may have been cheap paint over new walls. The thing is, you may always be a bit behind when you do more coats. Original areas of paint surface that let your paint sit on top versus those original areas that caused your paint to be absorbed.

Gve it a week and see if it doesn't blend in on it's own. Not thoroughly mixing enamel paints can also cause uneveness in sheen and color.

I've done jobs where it took a week for the low sheen enamel on large areas to blend in. It looked fine after that.

Good Luck.
Contractor Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None