Repairing Powder Coating - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View econdron's Photo Album My Photos
Default Repairing Powder Coating

I own a welding and metalworking shop and we recently had an entire patio set (8 chairs and a 5'x5' table) powder coated Dark Bronze II color (Prismatic Powders sells it). There are some surface defects we did not spot before but stick out like a sore thumb through the paint. I'm not very happy with the powder coating job, but I'll have to live with it. Basically we need to use a type of metal putty (lab metal) to fill in the indentations, sand smooth, then paint over. We're behind schedule as it is and don't have the time to get it re-powder coated, plus the added expenses would be too much.

What is the best way to match a powder coating? Would it be best to find the closest spray paint or to get a custom color made up? And if painting from a can, would it look best to brush paint it or use a paint sprayer?
econdron is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,604
Thanked 9,580 Times in 5,440 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

To keep consistent with the properties provided by the powder coat material, I would be inclined to use a two component epoxy, or a more UV stable two component polyurethane matched to the existing color.

Even a single stage automotive polyurethane would give a better blend when sprayed. But, matching the color will be the hardest part. Bottom line, touching up will never give you the results that squaring up will. In other words, don't expect great results without redoing the entire thing.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,138
Thanked 1,033 Times in 462 Posts
View NACE's Photo Album My Photos

We just went through a long and frustrating effort to satisfy a GC and highly critical architect matching a flawed and poor powder coat job on structural steel at a large Technical High School. After at least 20 different color samples and products we were finally approved for an aluminum finish Quick Dry Spray DTM Acrylic. The architect wanted an exact match in color and finish. The powder coat was a metallic finish and silver in color. I tried every product I could find with a metallic finish and some with just similar sheen and color. The inside of the school we got the P22-78 Urethane Alkyd Aluminum approved. The outside we got the V300-78 approved over sanded and tacked steel and applied by 4" micro fiber rollers. Couldn't spray because of the parking lot, windows, etc. Goog luck with the process. Hopefully whomever is approving the color finish prep and application are not too picky.
NACE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None