Residential guys listen up - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 12-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
FT painter/FT dad

Rewards Points: 500
View Rich's Photo Album My Photos
Default Residential guys listen up

So the housing market sucks right now. Residential home builders have slowed in building houses. BUT, there has been a big spike in commercial building.(condos, department stores, etc.)

Some of you that may be finding that things are getting real slow, maybe check out some projects in your area. This time of year gets tough. The food still needs to be put on the table and it's gift giving time coming up pretty soon. Whatever you do, don't sit around doing nothing. Get on your feet, that's when things start to happen.

Just some motivation from a guy who's been through it time and again.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

So what should we do to market to this crowd, I am all ears.
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
FT painter/FT dad

View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainpainter View Post
So what should we do to market to this crowd, I am all ears.
That I'm not sure of, but I know a few guys in here will pop in and help. I felt the need to put it out there.

I do know however, that getting hooked up with a property managment company or a few realtors have REALLY helped me in the past. Didn't get every job, but it helped. They are such good contacts. But as far as true commercial work...I'm not sure at all.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
View handymick's Photo Album My Photos

This doesn't directly relate to the commercial market, but I'll pitch in. I do not do new construction, only re-paints and remodels.

I try to spend a morning each week shaking hands and kissing babies. I don't do this through the summer, but start in the fall. I visit realtors and managers and give out flyers and business cards. It is amazing how much work I will pick up because I am in front of the person when they think about it.

It is sometimes tough to do. It is really hard when you are working 60 hours, but you have to think of the future.
handymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #6

View PainterKevin's Photo Album My Photos

I own a couple condos and am on the board of the associations. There are some forums for condo association board members that you could check-out. I will tell you that condo associations are looking for the best price, not necessarily highest quality or longevity.

As far as commercial work goes, why don't you reach out to commercial real estate firms and network through them as you do with residential. CB Richard Ellis is the largest commercial real estate brokerage in the nation, I am sure they have an office in your area.
PainterKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 PM   #7

View Joewho's Photo Album My Photos

Out here commercial work is where all the layoff are. The commercial painters are going for residential while they wait.
Joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:54 PM   #8

View ProTouchPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Yea i noticed they've went to tossing up apt/condos even faster here lately. (Wondered if that was going on in other areas?)
But with all the great painters here that are out of work it's drove the apt. price down from $1 to .90 or even .80 cents a sq ft.(floor sq ft)
I helped out a friend a week ago that got some based on his .80 cent bid.

Thinking we got a small commercial building thats coming up though.
Just gotta keep beating the bushes!
ProTouchPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:35 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

sssssshh. Don't open the flood gates on new Commercial. We are starting a new Lowes in one month. Commercial building is up in our area. New Res is not so bad too. Our builder is builing 6 houses right now. 5 are sold and each one is well over $2m mark. I guess NJ is close to NYC and people still have plenty of $$$ to burn
premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None