Restoration Hardware Paint Quality, Tips and Reviews - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Holland
  • 2 Post By PACman
  • 1 Post By Alchemy Redux
  • 1 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By PACman
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
View ymgroner's Photo Album My Photos
Default Restoration Hardware Paint Quality, Tips and Reviews

Does anyone have experience with Restoration Hardware paint?
I have a job that I am doing and the home owner wanted me to use Restoration Hardware brand paint. It has turned into a nightmare. All the spackle lines came out. When I try and fix it the paint rolls on in a diff shade. To top that off I am going through 3x the amount of paint that I have ever gone through with any other brand I have ever worked with.
Someone please help I am at a complete loss.
ymgroner is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Holland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 356
Rewards Points: 684
Thanks: 85
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos
Default

The nice thing about paint is that you can almost always re-do it!

In response to using the customer's paint:

I am usually agreeable to use whatever the customer insists on using, but communicate with them that they are not the paints I typically use, and therefore I am not as familiar with how they handle, or any idiosyncrasies they may exhibit, etc...

I also disclaim any liability associated with using paints that I am not familiar; That includes extra time and material that may be the result. I think this is a fair and reasonable policy, and the customer who insists on using their own paint, will likely not be surprised by it.
PACman likes this.

Last edited by Holland; 04-03-2019 at 09:09 AM..
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,278
Rewards Points: 38
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,705 Times in 3,173 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

sounds like another of those super ultra high dollar exclusive colors yak,yak,yak paint brands that are just crappy paint in a fancy label. The label and can probably cost more than the paint in the can. That whole part of the industry pisses me the f*ck off! You probably would have been better off using behr.
Gymschu and Alchemy Redux like this.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 496
Rewards Points: 66
Thanks: 86
Thanked 136 Times in 113 Posts
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
sounds like another of those super ultra high dollar exclusive colors yak,yak,yak paint brands that are just crappy paint in a fancy label. The label and can probably cost more than the paint in the can. That whole part of the industry pisses me the f*ck off! You probably would have been better off using behr.
Sounds like the C2 brand a client requested for their 10K sq ft house I did a few years ago, having purchased all the paint for the entire house.

After only the 2nd day into finish I ended up repackaging all the material and leaving it curbside with a big “Free Paint” sign, switching over to Moore’s..charging the client..I’ll admit that the C2 colors were really nice but Moore’s was able to cross reference all the colors to BM products. What was lost in material expense was saved in labor by switching to Moore’s.
PACman likes this.
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: usa
Posts: 1,617
Rewards Points: 1,406
Thanks: 45
Thanked 262 Times in 231 Posts
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
Sounds like the C2 brand a client requested for their 10K sq ft house I did a few years ago, having purchased all the paint for the entire house.

After only the 2nd day into finish I ended up repackaging all the material and leaving it curbside with a big “Free Paint” sign, switching over to Moore’s..charging the client..I’ll admit that the C2 colors were really nice but Moore’s was able to cross reference all the colors to BM products. What was lost in material expense was saved in labor by switching to Moore’s.

C2 is now partly owned by PPG. The PPG rep was pushing their product hard this last year and got me some samples. I tried the cabinet paint in a dark color and for the first 2 months it was off gassing this horrid chemical/solvent smell. 6 months later it has cured, but this stuff mars if you even look at it funny. It did lay out nicely though.


They do have nice 'full spectrum' colors which make them difficult to match. Some of their colorant is extremely expensive too around $100/quart.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 496
Rewards Points: 66
Thanks: 86
Thanked 136 Times in 113 Posts
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
C2 is now partly owned by PPG. The PPG rep was pushing their product hard this last year and got me some samples. I tried the cabinet paint in a dark color and for the first 2 months it was off gassing this horrid chemical/solvent smell. 6 months later it has cured, but this stuff mars if you even look at it funny. It did lay out nicely though.


They do have nice 'full spectrum' colors which make them difficult to match. Some of their colorant is extremely expensive too around $100/quart.
Funny you mention the off gassing...the primary reason the client opted for C2 was they were concerned about off gassing..the off gassing in C2 supposedly being minimal..

The issues I experienced with the C2 is that it didn’t cover for squat...laid out nicely as you mentioned.
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 105
Rewards Points: 220
Thanks: 6
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
View stl911's Photo Album My Photos
Default

i used it once, the home owner bought the paint, it looks ok to me but it is light color over builder's flat
stl911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: usa
Posts: 1,617
Rewards Points: 1,406
Thanks: 45
Thanked 262 Times in 231 Posts
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy Redux View Post
Funny you mention the off gassing...the primary reason the client opted for C2 was they were concerned about off gassing..the off gassing in C2 supposedly being minimal..

The issues I experienced with the C2 is that it didn’t cover for squat...laid out nicely as you mentioned.
The white was fine but the dark blue color was seriously bad and it was for at least 2 months. I talked with a c2 dealer who uses it in his shop and he told me th same thing

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 04-03-2019 at 01:18 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Eastern Ohio (Appalachia)
Posts: 1,330
Rewards Points: 24
Thanks: 1,627
Thanked 814 Times in 445 Posts
View Gymschu's Photo Album My Photos
Default

This business can give you all kinds of trouble and heartache, but, the most trouble a painter can get into is when the customer insists on buying the paint. It RARELY ends well.
PACman likes this.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 496
Rewards Points: 66
Thanks: 86
Thanked 136 Times in 113 Posts
View Alchemy Redux's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
They do have nice 'full spectrum' colors which make them difficult to match. Some of their colorant is extremely expensive too around $100/quart.
It’s nice knowing that the Moore’s color matches to the full spectrum C2 colors might not be spot on..The owner on the project I mentioned, a client of ten years, has been through several estate property managers the past few years. I received an email from the newest hire a couple of weeks ago, wanting to bring in her own painters and needing the interior finish schedule. I had the only paint color schedule in existence in Excel, with both the C2 colors and the BM cross referenced formulas/bases. There were upwards thirty C2 colors. I deleted all the Moore’s info, just sending them the C2 colors....no touch-up cans left on site either....oh boy, are they going to be in for a surprise, not to mention the 160 mile drive to the nearest C2 dealer..I’m waiting to hear about the fallout on that one when nothing matches..

Yeah, I feel for the OP, and Gymschu is absolutely correct about it rarely ending well. All bets are off if the client specifies a particular product or supplies material that I’m not familiar with.
Alchemy Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,278
Rewards Points: 38
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,705 Times in 3,173 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I'm off gassing pretty badly myself at the moment. Chipotle for lunch.
Gymschu likes this.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 2,691
Rewards Points: 2,280
Thanks: 79
Thanked 269 Times in 241 Posts
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymgroner View Post
Does anyone have experience with Restoration Hardware paint?
I have a job that I am doing and the home owner wanted me to use Restoration Hardware brand paint. It has turned into a nightmare. All the spackle lines came out. When I try and fix it the paint rolls on in a diff shade. To top that off I am going through 3x the amount of paint that I have ever gone through with any other brand I have ever worked with.
Someone please help I am at a complete loss.
Apparently, RH paint was made by BM up until 2007. All the colors are available at BM with different names. https://boards.fool.com/so-am-wonder...-27411670.aspx

RH paint may currently be made by Rodda, according to this! http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/i...p?topic=1508.0
Brushman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
different color, paint issues, restoration hardware, spackle, touch ups

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com