Say BYE BYE To the Flood Brand in Canada - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 06-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,756
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Say BYE BYE To the Flood Brand in Canada

PPG has decided to drop its FLOOD brand in Canada. It is now under the Dulux Paint label.

The Flood Pro Series acrylic stain is now called "Dulux Professional Wood Finish". They don't even mention that it is a stain. Very strange, I don't get it. Why drop such a well known brand?

It's the exact same product but relabeled. The stores are currently removing the Flood label from old stock and gluing on the Dulux label... That is a 100% confirmation of it having the same formulation and being the same product.

I don't think EB Emulsa Bond is being sold anymore in Canada.

A Benjamin Moore store rep just called and offered to sell me their remaining stock of EB Emulsa Bond at 60% off. Too bad, that was an excellent product. Flood stopped adding it to their acrylic stain a few years ago.

I assume that PPG will continue to carry the Flood label in the US.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 06-05-2019 at 03:25 PM..
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,270
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
PPG has decided to drop its FLOOD brand in Canada. It is now under the Dulux Paint label.

The Flood Pro Series acrylic stain is now called "Dulux Professional Wood Finish". They don't even mention that it is a stain. Very strange, I don't get it. Why drop such a well known brand?

It's the exact same product but relabeled. The stores are currently removing the Flood label from old stock and gluing on the Dulux label... That is a 100% confirmation of it having the same formulation and being the same product.

A Benjamin Moore store rep just called and offered to sell me their remaining stock of EB Emulsa Bond at 60% off. Too bad, that was an excellent product. Flood stopped adding it to their acrylic stain a few years ago.

I stopped assuming anyone at ppg knows what their doing a long time ago. I stopped carrying their paints and probably will stop carrying sikkens in the near future. They killed that brand in the US too. I hope PPG US drops the flood pro lol, that would piss off so many PPG dealers.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,756
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
I stopped assuming anyone at ppg knows what their doing a long time ago. I stopped carrying their paints and probably will stop carrying sikkens in the near future. They killed that brand in the US too. I hope PPG US drops the flood pro lol, that would piss off so many PPG dealers.
Yes, I forgot about that. PPG dropped their Sikkens brand in Canada last year. Strangely, they put it under the Sico Brand and not the Dulux label. I'm guessing they want to sell the Sico label to independents.

I have no idea why they are dropping some very well known brands. Sico sells an entire paint line too.

https://www.perfectwoodstains.ca/home.aspx
Mr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,270
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Yes, I forgot about that. PPG dropped their Sikkens brand in Canada last year. Strangely, they put it under the Sico Brand and not the Dulux label. I'm guessing they want to sell the Sico label to independents.

I have no idea why they are dropping some very well known brands. Sico sells an entire paint line too.

https://www.perfectwoodstains.ca/home.aspx

not only that but the formulas and colors have changed. Many SKU's that made the brand famous are now discontinued and replaced with waterborne versions.

I recently used some older cans of the Rubbol alkyd solid on a deck. What a great product that was!
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

This has been planned since i was still working for them. Around 2006-2007 they came up with the great idea to start eliminating some of the myriad of brand names and just go with the PPG brand. Quite a few similar products are being discontinued and replaced with other products in their lineup that are more profitable to them. How and when this will end is anyone guess. They are eliminating Porter, Glidden, Fortis, even exterior Timeless among others here in the US. I believe everything in Canada will eventually be under the Dulux name but i'm not privy to that so i don't know for sure.

How this will effect what brand names they sell through the box stores i don't really know. I only know that these changes are for the company owned stores and their independent retailers.

The idea is that the PPG name is almost as well known as the Sherwin Williams name and this will strengthen their name association to consumers.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited by PACman; 06-06-2019 at 08:42 AM..
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,098
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
This has been planned since i was still working for them. Around 2006-2007 they came up with the great idea to start eliminating some of the myriad of brand names and just go with the PPG brand. Quite a few similar products are being discontinued and replaced with other products in their lineup that are more profitable to them. How and when this will end is anyone guess. They are eliminating Porter, Glidden, Fortis, even exterior Timeless among others here in the US. I believe everything in Canada will eventually be under the Dulux name but i'm not privy to that so i don't know for sure.

How this will effect what brand names they sell through the box stores i don't really know. I only know that these changes are for the company owned stores and their independent retailers.

The idea is that the PPG name is almost as well known as the Sherwin Williams name and this will strengthen their name association to consumers.
Didnt you just state on another thread that Timeless is now known as Permanizer? Is it the same product under a different name? Are they just changing names, or making new products? I dont really use much PPG anymore, since I got a new rep, who doesnt give me any love and jacked up all my prices.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:45 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 664
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I stopped using Flood several years ago, after they changed their product line, and eliminated several products I was using. At this point I won't even miss them.
Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Didnt you just state on another thread that Timeless is now known as Permanizer? Is it the same product under a different name? Are they just changing names, or making new products? I dont really use much PPG anymore, since I got a new rep, who doesnt give me any love and jacked up all my prices.
as far as i know it's still the same product. they are just using the Permanizer name. probably because they feel it has more marketing appeal. Permanizer was originally Porter's name for the same product as Timeless.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None