Semi-transparent stained house - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By RH
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 04-01-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

View WestKyPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Semi-transparent stained house

I'm going to bid a semi-transparent stained house on Thursday morning. I actually rode out there this morning to get an early peek at it. It is a rough hewn clapboard style home that is actually in pretty nice condition. I'm not even sure why the guy feels like it needs attention just yet.

Anyway, I was wondering if i shouldn't talk him into a solid color stain. It would be easier for me to apply and it would potentially last a bit longer. The current stain job is actually peeling off in a few places on the northwest end of the home.

PS...it sits smack on Lake Barkley here in Kentucky. I even thought about selling him on two coats of exterior flat paint? I'm just not crazy about ST stain? Thoughts??
WestKyPainter is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 5,698
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Solid color stain or painting are going to give you pretty much the same look, neither of which will look like a semi-transparent. I’d say practice your due diligence and explain that it is at best a process that will continue to have to be redone more often than a traditional paint job - then go with what he wants.
jennifertemple and Holland like this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #3

View WestKyPainter's Photo Album My Photos

How much longer does solid color stain last? I've painted for 20 years but i honestly don't know.
WestKyPainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2019, 10:34 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 5,698
Thanked 15,407 Times in 8,082 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestKyPainter View Post
How much longer does solid color stain last? I've painted for 20 years but i honestly don't know.
Gosh, itís been so long since I used any I really canít say how todayís versions perform. Back when I did use it (30 years or so back), the primary advantage (IMO) was that no priming was needed. As far as lasting, it seemed to do pretty well on the rough cedar siding that I reapplied it to around here. Again, somebody with experience with todayís products will hopefully chime in soon.
Holland likes this.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,514
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Its good to do maintenance coats instead of letting it deteriorate until it needs to be stripped. Keep it simple just give it a good cleaning and possibly brightener then another coat of semi transparent.
Holland likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 710
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Solid Stain would be a good suggestion (IF the customer is okay with the aesthetic. Some people just love the look of Semi Trans). We tell the customer (in Wisconsin) that SS lasts between 7-10 years on average, but that the house's specific exposure can either shorten or extend that range (2 coats will also increase longevity).

I would strongly recommend to NOT use Paint.

Solid Stain is appropriate for Cedar. It is easy to maintain and it looks great. It complements the Cedar Texture and NEVER peels (unless maybe applied over damp wood). SS can be applied directly to raw wood, whereas paint will eventually (down the road) start to peel in places. When this happens it is a lot more work to maintain than SS, and generally looks worse; The HO will not thank you when that happens.

Last edited by Holland; 04-02-2019 at 09:27 AM..
Holland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,194
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Some manfacturers do make a semi-opaque stain. I wish there were more of that. Its perfect for restains where the wood doesnt look that great.

If it were my house, I would want to see the wood grain with a semi transparent if at all possible. To me, thats the whole point of staining.
Holland likes this.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:02 PM   #8
Troy

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,124 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Semi-Trans vs Solid Stain

I had the exact same conversation with one of my customers 3 years ago. Her home was being re-stained every 5 yrs with a semi-trans and was hoping to find a way to get a little more life out it between servicing, so I suggested a solid. On the South & West sides where the sun really beats it up, a solid wouldn't look much different than a semi-trans. On the North & East sides where the wood still looks like new, a solid will make it look more like a paint.

I took some samples of both sides and stained them with the solid to show her what I was trying to explain, and I let her know that she could probably expect to get about 30% more life out of the solid vs. semi-trans, (although I couldn't find any info anywhere to support these claims, other than 30 yrs of servicing customers with semi & solid stained homes). She was fine with the look of the solid, so we proceeded. My very best suggestion to you is to do the same; get good representative sample boards from each side, coat them in a solid, have them review it. There's just no way to try and explain to them what you think it's gonna look like, and the last thing you want is to do all that hard work and have them be less than pleased when you're done.

This is the home in question, and you can feel free to show this to your client if it helps in any way. I tried to include pics from the same or similar angle, first pic will always be semi-trans, 2nd is the after-pic with the solid.

This is the North side, barely any sun, wood in good shape, so the solid really looks opaque in the 2nd pic.

Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-n-before.jpg
Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-n-after.jpg

These 2 are NE corner, not much sun ever, wood in good shape, stain looks opaque:

Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-ne-before.jpg
Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-ne-after.jpg

Now, this is the SE Corner, left side, (South), gets sun all day:

Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-se-before.jpg
Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-se-after.jpg

This is SW Corner, hot as hell, wood is thirsty, not much noticeable difference between semi-trans vs solid:

Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-sw-before.jpg
Semi-transparent stained house-graybeal-sw-after.jpg
Old 04-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 710
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
I had the exact same conversation with one of my customers 3 years ago. Her home was being re-stained every 5 yrs with a semi-trans and was hoping to find a way to get a little more life out it between servicing, so I suggested a solid. On the South & West sides where the sun really beats it up, a solid wouldn't look much different than a semi-trans. On the North & East sides where the wood still looks like new, a solid will make it look more like a paint.

I took some samples of both sides and stained them with the solid to show her what I was trying to explain, and I let her know that she could probably expect to get about 30% more life out of the solid vs. semi-trans, (although I couldn't find any info anywhere to support these claims, other than 30 yrs of servicing customers with semi & solid stained homes). She was fine with the look of the solid, so we proceeded. My very best suggestion to you is to do the same; get good representative sample boards from each side, coat them in a solid, have them review it. There's just no way to try and explain to them what you think it's gonna look like, and the last thing you want is to do all that hard work and have them be less than pleased when you're done.

This is the home in question, and you can feel free to show this to your client if it helps in any way. I tried to include pics from the same or similar angle, first pic will always be semi-trans, 2nd is the after-pic with the solid.

This is the North side, barely any sun, wood in good shape, so the solid really looks opaque in the 2nd pic.

Attachment 104085
Attachment 104087

These 2 are NE corner, not much sun ever, wood in good shape, stain looks opaque:

Attachment 104089
Attachment 104091

Now, this is the SE Corner, left side, (South), gets sun all day:

Attachment 104093
Attachment 104095

This is SW Corner, hot as hell, wood is thirsty, not much noticeable difference between semi-trans vs solid:

Attachment 104097
Attachment 104099

That is a good looking house!
Curious what your technique is for staining Cedar Shingles?
Holland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None