Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Setting up spray booth.

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ejs 
#1 ·
I'm seriously considering investing in a spray booth. I am thinking about purchasing a 14x24 metal building on skids. I'm thinking I can have a space for spraying and putting racks on back wall for drying and having a plastic curtain between. Anyone have any experience with a setup like this? Or concerns?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That looks pretty sweet. i have a set up but it definatley is very basic, In the back is where i spray every thing and have racks on the outer walls and sticlers on the floor. basically I spray each piece on sawhorses then move them to drying area. Some things that I added was a intake outtake fan, compressor with a pressure regulator and some flourecent lights. The floor i just used some clear sealer to eliminate dust.

#4 ·
We hang tarps on any site, against the walls or from t-bar, or ceilings or make a 2x4 L shaped frame to hang the tarp, and make a temporary booth, use a 2x4 stacked rack, for crown or base. Timing, and the placement of materials, cut costs and help make room for other efforts.

#11 ·
our shop has an explosion proof fan (upgraded this winter) that vents out the wall. We do not have heated make up air. We open a door in the main shop to let air move through. Right now, we do not filter the incoming air, but between the booth and the main shop is a regular door opening that eventually I will make a frame with filters for when we are spraying.

We can also open the doors to an unfinished level to get air coming in. I try to draw air through the shop to minimize the temperature difference (blend outside and inside air as much as possible) in the winter.

Also, I try to spray in batches to minimize fan useage to control heat loss.

How much it matters, not sure but I think sometimes colder air for a bit after spraying helps some WB stuff level and release any bubbles. Not sure, just a theory.

#12 ·
Not to say this method will work for all perspectives but I make a booth with light poly, tack thin strapping 1/4" thick x 2" to the poly against a wall or leaned 2x4 studs to keep it taught and make a 2 x 2 x 8 ft. frame on the ends to contain the over spray if you are spraying doors. I guess the point is make a spray booth out of any available situation or materials to achieve . A fan helps a lot but I turn it off after I finish spraying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.