She said my price was ridiculous - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree60Likes

Old 05-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 366
View HC-Raad's Photo Album My Photos
Default She said my price was ridiculous

13x13 ceiling (sponged on texture) - remove (skimcoat): $500

I don't know, she wants a price to paint a multitude of rooms in her home.
Do I stop now, and walk away, or give her more ridiculous prices?
HC-Raad is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 12:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 8
View abbottpainting's Photo Album My Photos

That's up to you, but I'd walk away, even if you did get the job, chances are that come time for payment you would only get what she figured she wanted to pay. .. not worth the headache in my opinion. Some people can pay for quality work, some people can't, usually when someone tells me my price is higher than the last guy, or the competition, I point out that I can keep the paint on the walls, and not all over the ceilings and trim like the last guy who did it for half my price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
abbottpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 6,874
Thanked 15,534 Times in 8,183 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

So she said your price was ridiculous but she still wants more bids from you? That's kinda' odd.

Other than giving customers a description of what I will be doing for them I stopped long ago trying to justify my prices to those who thought I was too high.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Repaint Florida (05-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2017, 04:38 AM   #4
very senior member

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,523 Times in 3,391 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=RH;1410314]So she said your price was ridiculous but she still wants more bids from you? That's kinda' odd.

Other than giving customers a description of what I will be doing for them I stopped long ago trying to justify my prices to those who thought I was too high.[/QUOTE]

Visine fixes that
Paradigmzz (05-07-2017), ProWallGuy (05-09-2017), RH (05-07-2017), stelzerpaintinginc. (05-12-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 07:24 AM   #5
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

The most I will do when faced with comment about price is tell them "This is what it will cost for me to professionally complete this project". I've had them accept even after receiving lower bids and all have been problem-free return customers. Some people are just unfamiliar with what pros cost. For that reason one of my questions is to ask if they have ever contracted with a professional painting co. If not then I know they may have sticker shock.

That said if they are throwing up red flags other then ignorance to the realistic cost then it has to be decided whether to say "no thanks, I don't think we'll be a good fit for you" or to continue providing estimates.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

You could meet her where she's at. Ask her what she thought the price would be and ask how she arrived at that number. Explain your position, remain firm on your prices if they are correctly justified. It's all about education. It may be sticker shock, it may be a low baller. The "meet them in thought " conversation will determine your next step. Make sure the pictures in your minds match as far as expectations and finished results. And make sure it's apples to apples....i don't fight anyone for a job. I tell them straight up "if you are price shopping, you've dialed the wrong number. If it's quality that you're looking for at a reasonable price we're confident your expectations will be more than met."
I don't take it any further. It either opens the door to future work or saves me a headache. Usually those kind of folks are leads from a paint store which I seldom (if ever) go look at. You can weed em out on the first phone call. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Gymschu, jprefect and getrex like this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
CApainter (05-07-2017), futtyos (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,616
Thanked 4,582 Times in 2,540 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

The fact that she actually used the word 'ridiculous', would quickly lead me out the door and not bother wasting any more of my time. That's kind of rude in my opinion, but maybe that's just me. At that point she'd go on my I don't want to work for you list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
HC-Raad (05-07-2017), ProWallGuy (05-09-2017), RH (05-07-2017), Schmidt & Co. (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,128
Thanked 1,392 Times in 705 Posts
View thinkpainting/nick's Photo Album My Photos

I hear that line so often almost had it for my logo ��
Gymschu and SemiproJohn like this.
thinkpainting/nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkpainting/nick For This Useful Post:
Repaint Florida (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,626
Thanked 9,645 Times in 5,484 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

13 X 13 sf ceiling at $500.00 equals about $3.00/sf.

-Is this also for painting and all materials?

-If something like that took a couple of days (16 hrs) we're talking a little over $31.00/hr. Not including material costs.

- One day of work would bring it to around to $62.00/hr not including materials. But that would seem like a lot of work, for me, to skim over sponge texture with fast set, sand or wet wipe as needed, prime and apply two coats of flat finish.

-the materials alone may be only fifty to seventy bucks depending on brands Making it around $56-52/hr. To knock it out in one day

- how long do you estimate this will take?

Last edited by CApainter; 05-07-2017 at 11:42 AM..
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,153 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post

Is this also for painting and all materials?
It's a small job, you have to flat price those.
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
It's a small job, you have to flat price those.
How much time would something like that take you assuming its in a ranch home with driveway parking rather than a thirty story condo with garage only parking that your truck won't fit in? I'm old and slow. I'm estimating it for two days.

In the Bay Area, and if I want to match union wages as a solo owner operator with little overhead, I'd have to bid it for no less than $50.00/hr. And homeowners don't like paying union wages. That's why union paint shops generally don't do residential stuff.

Given the mixed disciplines ( mud work and painting)I'm estimating the job for $850.00( 16 hrs. Plus materials) with the hopes of coming in under budget. At the end of the day, the homeowner will praise my work. Unfortunately, I'll be too tired and disinterested to do anything further for her. But no doubt I will
jprefect likes this.

Last edited by CApainter; 05-07-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,842 Times in 3,153 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

On small jobs, it's not just the time. It's how many trips and the other logistics as you pointed out in your last post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
CApainter (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,748
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default More details please

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-Raad View Post

This sounds interesting. Can you give a few more details? Such as:

1. Are you going to sand or knock down high spots to make skim coating more even?

2. How do you plan to skim coat? Durabond, Easy Sand, Plus 3 or other materials and how many coats?

3. Are you priming and painting the ceiling as well? (stupid question, but asking anyway)

4. How easy is the access to job (nearby parking or in a hi rise condo or what?)

5. How many trips do you need to make to finish this job?

6. If you had other work to do in the same house, would you be able to round-robin the work on the ceiling and keep things going while working on other rooms, thus being able to give her a less "ridiculous" price?

You could tell her that the 500.00 may sound a little high, but if that is all the work you are going to do at her house and have to make multiple trips to do it, that is where the added cost is. If she could give you more work to bid on, you could probably fit the 500.00 for skim coating into the whole price without reducing it at all (just don't tell her that in the bid). Just say "Here is my price for doing all of the work in one shot." If she asks you to break it down room to room, tell her that the price you gave her is based on doing ALL of the work and that if you had to do each room separately, it would cost more than if you do all the work together.

Explain to her that you cannot do a skim coat in one non-stop visit, that you have to come back for each step unless you have other work around the house to keep you going between skim coating steps.

Just my 2 cents.

futtyos
futtyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
So she said your price was ridiculous but she still wants more bids from you? That's kinda' odd.

Other than giving customers a description of what I will be doing for them I stopped long ago trying to justify my prices to those who thought I was too high.
No, I didn't bid the job yet.

I was walking through her home, taking notes on the full scope of work, which was painting and paper removal in a multitude of rooms, and she was complaining about her textured ceilings. I finally said, I can make them smooth again, She said, how much would that run? I said, for this room, about $500. She said, that's ridiculous. I explained the process and she said, well, you have to respect that we are not willing to pay that much. This was all stated in 30 seconds. They were nice friendly retired people (in wealthy area), offered me water. So I continued through the house taking notes and measurement on the full scope of work.

The out come: I sent her a nice email stated that we would not be able to accommodate her timeline, so we have decided not to bid on the work.
Gymschu, PRC and jprefect like this.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
The fact that she actually used the word 'ridiculous', would quickly lead me out the door and not bother wasting any more of my time. That's kind of rude in my opinion, but maybe that's just me. At that point she'd go on my I don't want to work for you list.
Yes, I thought it was rude too. Kinda pi$$ed me off when she said it.
My partner was there, when we got in the truck, I told him, "lets forget these people" he said, well, we've come this far, we might as well see it through. No, I believe we already wasted enough time. Lets not waste anymore.
jprefect likes this.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post

-Is this also for painting and all materials?

-If something like that took a couple of days (16 hrs) we're talking a little over $31.00/hr. Not including material costs.

- One day of work would bring it to around to $62.00/hr not including materials. But that would seem like a lot of work, for me, to skim over sponge texture with fast set, sand or wet wipe as needed, prime and apply two coats of flat finish.

-the materials alone may be only fifty to seventy bucks depending on brands Making it around $56-52/hr. To knock it out in one day

- how long do you estimate this will take?
No, that was for skim-coating only and cost of joint compound.
No way can you get this done in 1 day (painting to)? I figure paint ceiling on day 3 or 4. There was other work in the home. Probably an 8 day job total.
The Following User Says Thank You to HC-Raad For This Useful Post:
CApainter (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 218
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC-Raad View Post

I think you are too low...walk away.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Martin the Painter View Post
I think you are too low...walk away.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
I think for only leveling and skimming a 13X13 sf ceiling, $500.00 is well within the ball park, and a fair market price IMO. The homeowner missed an opportunity. I also think that could be done in one eight hour day provided you incorporate fast set.

Last edited by CApainter; 05-07-2017 at 10:45 PM..
Old 05-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #19
RH

Rewards Points: 6,874
Thanked 15,534 Times in 8,183 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Not uncommon for someone to engage in tire kicking with us about additional work. But when they find out it won't be a freebie, or ridiculously cheap, "no thanks".
CApainter likes this.

Bill Watterson
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Not uncommon for someone to engage in tire kicking with us about additional work. But when they find out it won't be a freebie, or ridiculously cheap, "no thanks".
It amazes me that people think it's normal to gouge allotted time from one job and apply it un compensated to another. Completely unaware that they've just compromised the original time, momentum, and quality of the original job. All in the hope that they'll have some agreeable dip dong that'll make it all work out because "The painter is so nice!".
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
epretot (05-08-2017)

Tags
None