Sheen durability - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By Greg Mrakich
  • 2 Post By Worker Bee
  • 1 Post By lilpaintchic

Old 06-09-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 194
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Sheen durability

Had a HO ask me a question that I was not able to answer with certainty, so I told him I would do a little research and get back to him. He has a house right on the water. We will be doing some railings. He wants to know if using a high gloss paint will be more durable than a semi or lower. I will be using either California Ultra or a Ben Moore paint, and as far as I know neither company makes a gloss exterior paint. Moore Glo is more of a semi gloss and the highest Ultra comes in is semi gloss.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 04:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,318
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Martin the Painter View Post
Had a HO ask me a question that I was not able to answer with certainty, so I told him I would do a little research and get back to him. He has a house right on the water. We will be doing some railings. He wants to know if using a high gloss paint will be more durable than a semi or lower. I will be using either California Ultra or a Ben Moore paint, and as far as I know neither company makes a gloss exterior paint. Moore Glo is more of a semi gloss and the highest Ultra comes in is semi gloss.

W309 Impervex High Gloss Latex
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...tex-high-gloss

V330 Gloss enamel

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...rborne-enamels

The Paint Lady likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
Painting Co. Owner

Rewards Points: 242
View Greg Mrakich's Photo Album My Photos

Benjamin Aura? semi is highest gloss though. Super tight finish. Durability will be half prep, half finish coat.
Worker Bee likes this.
Greg Mrakich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Mrakich For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (06-09-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mrakich View Post
Benjamin Aura? semi is highest gloss though. Super tight finish. Durability will be half prep, half finish coat.
I dunno about the aura idea, but I'm with ya about it being half prep, half finish.

Those beach areas can be a pita....id be looking at dtm if the rails are metal....heck, yiu could use it on wood, why not?And probably oil for durability.(old school thinking...) Yes, sheen will help as sheen gets less permeable as the gloss gets higher. (Im not a scientist...pac or coco can field this much better than i)It also gets harder to pull off and have it look good... that's mostly why I'd consider oil on metal rails. You could you with an oil satin and still be ahead of the game.

I'll have to reread the op to see if the rail material was mentioned....if they're wood, that's a different animal....one that aura might be right for if they're sanded to bare wood. If not, I'd be concerned with the tenacity pulling the existing coating off.

Sounds like a good time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by lilpaintchic; 06-09-2018 at 11:04 PM..
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 428
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos

dont forget to add in extra time for lunches as you enjoy the veiw
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
Thanks. I forgot all about impervex. I think that I have used it twice in the past five years.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
I dunno about the aura idea, but I'm with ya about it being half prep, half finish.

Those beach areas can be a pita....id be looking at dtm if the rails are metal....heck, yiu could use it on wood, why not?And probably oil for durability.(old school thinking...) Yes, sheen will help as sheen gets less permeable as the gloss gets higher. (Im not a scientist...pac or coco can field this much better than i)It also gets harder to pull off and have it look good... that's mostly why I'd consider oil on metal rails. You could you with an oil satin and still be ahead of the game.

I'll have to reread the op to see if the rail material was mentioned....if they're wood, that's a different animal....one that aura might be right for if they're sanded to bare wood. If not, I'd be concerned with the tenacity pulling the existing coating off.

Sounds like a good time!

The railings are wood.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #8
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 152
Thanked 5,138 Times in 2,797 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

My concerns with gloss would be breathability of the coating. Everything has a trade off, I would suspect, but do not know, that the glosss would be more prone to peeling. Maybe less flexibility with winter-summer changes too. Just a guess thouh.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mrakich View Post
What do you mean by hald prep, half finish coat. I have not used a lot of Aura exterior.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #10

I live a 5 minute walk from the ocean, so the view does not distract me too much. In fact jobs this close to the ocean can often be a PITA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
dont forget to add in extra time for lunches as you enjoy the veiw

Old 06-11-2018, 02:32 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Pete, I think the sentimentbwas that half the work is just getting it prepped adequately.
Those water front homes sure take a beating some times....

If the rails are sound, dry, sealed(caulked,filled,etc.)sanded, primed etc,etc....then a good quality satin or semi should hold up well...the important thing with a paint is making sure there's no moisture intrusion that will eventually cause the paint to fail as the moisture escapes. If that can't be done for a variety of reasons ,a stain might be more appropriate as it's more permeable. It also doesn't have the durability of a film forming product. But if your film is formed on top of an unstable and potentially moist substrate then it will fail catastrophically. Wind drives water into nooks and crannies on water front homes more so than those more inland.
Just some food for thought as you ponder how to tackle your project. Send some pics maybe? And what is on the surface at present?I've seen (and cleaned up) some ofvthese new paints create problems that didn't exist by being too tenacious over existing finishes. That's a bummer if you don't know it could even cause a problem....some times a mid grade product is the right one for the job admit lacks the titanium or whatever to pull the existing coating off as it dries..

lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Just talked to my Cali rep regarding an exterior high gloss. There is one available under the Fixall brand that most Cali dealers can order if they wish. It's called Everlife waterborne Enamel. Product line #f521. He says that his dealers that need a true high gloss exterior to compete with FPE have found it to work quite well. Extremely brusheable and great lay-out from what he tells me. California may at some point label it under their brand name especially if demand for high gloss door paints keep going up. Also when tinted with the trillion colorants the hide is supposed to be extremely good in dark or bright colors, as well as fade resistance better than any North American competitor. He's had customers use two coats of bright red over white primer with no additional coats needed.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 428
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos

whats that cost a gallon? and can I get it on the east coast?
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Just talked to my Cali rep regarding an exterior high gloss. There is one available under the Fixall brand that most Cali dealers can order if they wish. It's called Everlife waterborne Enamel. Product line #f521. He says that his dealers that need a true high gloss exterior to compete with FPE have found it to work quite well. Extremely brusheable and great lay-out from what he tells me. California may at some point label it under their brand name especially if demand for high gloss door paints keep going up. Also when tinted with the trillion colorants the hide is supposed to be extremely good in dark or bright colors, as well as fade resistance better than any North American competitor. He's had customers use two coats of bright red over white primer with no additional coats needed.
PACman, what do you know about the Ultra. I have used it on Azek and liked it a lot. The exterior version seems like a very durable paint, but not sure about the exterior. My rep said it is a very durable paint, but why wouldn't she.
I am trying to convince the HO to not use high gloss. He is going to want to use it on the entire house, and there is no shade at all, which means full sun, so any imperfections will stick out like a sore thumb.
My BM rep recommended Grand Entrance, but at $40 a quart it might be hard sell. My store guy suggested Advance high gloss, which has the disarvantage of having to be sanded between coats.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
PACman, what do you know about the Ultra. I have used it on Azek and liked it a lot. The exterior version seems like a very durable paint, but not sure about the exterior. My rep said it is a very durable paint, but why wouldn't she.
I am trying to convince the HO to not use high gloss. He is going to want to use it on the entire house, and there is no shade at all, which means full sun, so any imperfections will stick out like a sore thumb.
My BM rep recommended Grand Entrance, but at $40 a quart it might be hard sell. My store guy suggested Advance high gloss, which has the disarvantage of having to be sanded between coats.

The Ultra is a pretty awesome paint. It is engineered to be equivalent or better than Aura or Emerald and to have much better application properties than either. And is Advance high gloss interior/exterior? I didn't think it was.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
The Ultra is a pretty awesome paint. It is engineered to be equivalent or better than Aura or Emerald and to have much better application properties than either. And is Advance high gloss interior/exterior? I didn't think it was.
Yes, the Advance high gloss is interior/exterior.

Tags
None