Sherwin Williams and Lifetime Warranty? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View arjun90's Photo Album My Photos
Question Sherwin Williams and Lifetime Warranty?

I purchased SW's Emerald Interior Paint the Other day and the receipt does not mention Emerald; it only mentions Deposit 5, etc. Does anyone know what is required in the case of Lifetime Warranty?
arjun90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
View StripandCaulk's Photo Album My Photos

Its a conspiracy man, they put that on the can so they can charge you more. S'ome BullChit.
StripandCaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500
View Xmark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun90 View Post
I purchased SW's Emerald Interior Paint the Other day and the receipt does not mention Emerald; it only mentions Deposit 5, etc. Does anyone know what is required in the case of Lifetime Warranty?
what can really go wrong with any interior paint? if you paint over a lousy base the warranty is voided anyways.warranteed against what exactly?
Xmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

With any lifetime warranty on anything I always wonder-Who's lifetime are we talking about? Not mine I hope! just sayin.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Builtmany (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #5

I know Sherwin Williams is a big company, but since one of you bought up the word conspiracy on this thread; SW had a 40% off sale in the last few days. I bought Emerald Paint which had a ton of glue on part of the can. How likely is it that SW sells old / used / returned / or inferior paints during their extreme sales event?

Also, since I had to make a special deposit on my SW account to get the paint the following day, does my receipt necessarily need to contain the word(s) Emerald Paint in it? Or does it not matter. Please reply to this so I don't have to be worried. Thanks.

Last edited by arjun90; 07-24-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Born 2 Paint

Rewards Points: 1,394
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,609 Posts
View 6126's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
How likely is it that SW sells old / used / returned / or inferior paints during their extreme sales event?
Lol Are you serious? Yeah, the night before a big sale all the stores (worldwide) pull everything off the shelves and restock the shelves with old, leftover, defective paint I think Dateline just did an undercover investigation on the SW conspiracy
6126 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6126 For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (07-25-2012), straight_lines (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
King Dude

Rewards Points: 2
Thanked 5,037 Times in 2,863 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

My favorite warrantees are on their caulk. I used the 65yr and have seen it crack in less than a year. No one calls them on it and if you do I'm sure they will say it something you did wrong. I remember when the sears weather beater used to say one coat for interior. I called them on it when it took two. Apparently I was using the wrong brush, the wrong roller sleeve, and not to mention I didn't roll in a W pattern. All the warrantees are good for is identifying which products are high and low grade based on the warrantee offered.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
ColorQuest (07-25-2012), Oden (07-24-2012), sendit6 (08-21-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE="Rbriggs82"I remember when the sears weather beater used to say one coat for interior. I called them on it when it took two. Apparently I was using the wrong brush, the wrong roller sleeve, and not to mention I didn't roll in a W pattern. All the warrantees are good for is identifying which products are high and low grade based on the warrantee offered.[/QUOTE]

I can get any paint to cover in one coat. Every gallon I've ever spread "covered" in one coat. It covered the walls I painted. Didn't necessarily "hide" the color underneath.....but it "covered" :-P

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
mudbone (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1

I can get any paint to cover in one coat. Every gallon I've ever spread "covered" in one coat. It covered the walls I painted. Didn't necessarily "hide" the color underneath.....but it "covered" :-P
I can't argue that logic lol

|
|
|

|
|
The Following User Says Thank You to Rbriggs82 For This Useful Post:
NCPaint1 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #10

So, does it matter what is on the receipt?
Lets say, you did the "right" job, for claiming any such warranty, do they require receipt or just the actual paint bucket with its original labeling?
Since I don't think a claim would ever need to be done,
just for my comfort, does it really matter whats on my receipt? I bought Emerald the other day, but my receipt only shows Deposit 5 (picked up the bucket the next day)

Please let me know, thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
King Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun90
Lets say, you did the "right" job, for claiming any such warranty, do they require receipt or just the actual paint bucket with its original labeling?
just for my comfort, does it really matter whats on my receipt? I bought Emerald the other day, but my receipt only shows Deposit 5 (picked up the bucket the next day)

I don't think it matters what's on the receipt as long as you have the can.

|
|
|

|
|
Old 07-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Price issues on the receipt would be my biggest concern!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Paint Store Owner

Why are you all so concerned with warranties on paint? Its product replacement only. Most products that don't have a year warranty will have some sort of satisfaction guarantee. That also covers "product replacement".

So what's the concern? They'll give you new paint to fix the failed areas...big whoop.

The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (07-25-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #14

View Builtmany's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
With any lifetime warranty on anything I always wonder-Who's lifetime are we talking about? Not mine I hope! just sayin.
I agree who's lifetime?

My '09 Dodge truck has a lifetime powertrain warranty and they already have ways to get out of covering things. When I bought it Chrysler was nearly done.
Builtmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builtmany
I agree who's lifetime?

My '09 Dodge truck has a lifetime powertrain warranty and they already have ways to get out of covering things. When I bought it Chrysler was nearly done.
Same with my charger. In this case, its the life expectancy of the parts. Knowing people that own a dealership, its more or less 10 years or 250k miles, is the "lifetime" power train warranty.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #16

I bought the Emerald for $37.79, nothing more, nothing less; The sale was through yesterday; got it at sale price. I'll be retaining the can for sure. My receipt says Deposit instead of Emerald; I don't think its a big deal; I did get 5 dollars and some change in return due to some system error on their (SW) end.

Its really funny; I never purchased a BM can that had scuffs, a little paint, and glue scattered on the can. Does Sherwin Williams procure their paints in large bulky boxes? Can that explain why I received a can in such a condition. What do you all think of this?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #17

View Builtmany's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
Same with my charger. In this case, its the life expectancy of the parts. Knowing people that own a dealership, its more or less 10 years or 250k miles, is the "lifetime" power train warranty.
Waiting for the 100K mile mandatory inspection. I'm sure they will give me a list of maintenance things to do or no more warranty past that point.
Builtmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Paint Store Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun90
Its really funny; I never purchased a BM can that had scuffs, a little paint, and glue scattered on the can. Does Sherwin Williams procure their paints in large bulky boxes? Can that explain why I received a can in such a condition. What do you all think of this?

Sometimes I get cans that look like they were drug behind the semi rather than rode inside it. :-P It happens. That's a big gripe for me. A $50+/gal product should be pristine. No dents or dings, not that it affects the product inside, but still.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbriggs82 View Post
My favorite warrantees are on their caulk. I used the 65yr and have seen it crack in less than a year. No one calls them on it and if you do I'm sure they will say it something you did wrong. I remember when the sears weather beater used to say one coat for interior. I called them on it when it took two. Apparently I was using the wrong brush, the wrong roller sleeve, and not to mention I didn't roll in a W pattern. All the warrantees are good for is identifying which products are high and low grade based on the warrantee offered.
Thats funny you mention the W pattern.Was painting a wall the other day at a customers house and he was watching me roll it out and he mention why I didnt do it the correct way and use the W pattern.I told him I only use the reverse the M pattern which stands for money!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

Makes me think of all the times guys here get their panties in a twist about "modifying" a paint and that it voids the warranty.
Warranties are for those who believe in Elves and Unicorns...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrushJockey For This Useful Post:
ColorQuest (07-25-2012), TJ Paint (07-25-2012)

Tags
None