Shocker!!! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View ImagelinePainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Shocker!!!

What in the world is going on?!!! This is from the website of painting contractor from my area, member of this forum community. Reading this makes me think that i am ripping people off, but i wouldn't even get the brush from my truck for something like this.
" $79 a Room Starting Repaint Terms and Conditions:
-$79 price for a 10×10 foot room with 8 foot high walls with minor nail hole and ding patching.
-colour match single coat same colour using Sherwin-Williams Quali-Kote low sheen or Eg-Shel (brand name spelling) paint
-painted area must be empty of all personal items and must be either empty of furniture or furniture must be at least three feet from the walls
-minimum three rooms, 100 sq feet or $240 minimum charge applies
walls only, does not incluse baseboards, trim, doors, windows, closets or ceilings
-extra charges apply for alternative coatings, colour changes or additional services required
-prices do not include GST
-Single coat same colour starts at .80 a square foot
-Colour changes start at only $50 each
-Feature walls start at only $50 each
-Sherwin-Williams Harmony, Superior Quality Zero VOC paints at $25 a gallon each extra
-Sherwin-Williams ProMar 200, Superior Quality paints at $15 a gallon each extra
-Baseboards from .25 a square foot
-Ceilings from $1 a square foot
-Day rate service available"
ImagelinePainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 AM   #2
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

ok. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
PatsPainting (07-14-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:47 AM   #3
SeHablaEspaņol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagelinePainting View Post
What in the world is going on?!!! This is from the website of painting contractor from my area, member of this forum community. Reading this makes me think that i am ripping people off, but i wouldn't even get the brush from my truck for something like this.
" $79 a Room Starting Repaint Terms and Conditions:
-$79 price for a 10×10 foot room with 8 foot high walls with minor nail hole and ding patching.
-colour match single coat same colour using Sherwin-Williams Quali-Kote low sheen or Eg-Shel (brand name spelling) paint
-painted area must be empty of all personal items and must be either empty of furniture or furniture must be at least three feet from the walls
-minimum three rooms, 100 sq feet or $240 minimum charge applies
walls only, does not incluse baseboards, trim, doors, windows, closets or ceilings
-extra charges apply for alternative coatings, colour changes or additional services required
-prices do not include GST
-Single coat same colour starts at .80 a square foot
-Colour changes start at only $50 each
-Feature walls start at only $50 each
-Sherwin-Williams Harmony, Superior Quality Zero VOC paints at $25 a gallon each extra
-Sherwin-Williams ProMar 200, Superior Quality paints at $15 a gallon each extra
-Baseboards from .25 a square foot
-Ceilings from $1 a square foot
-Day rate service available"
Hmmm that's nothing... look at this thread $59 a Room
><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
>
AztecPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #4

Well i don't know about that guy Aztec, but the contractor that i am talking about has way higher rating than 80% of the contractors in my area. I believe that not too long ago he was complaining about being lowballed and i am wondering how much was the low baller doing the room for? Maybe $59 like the guy that you are talking about. I am actually considering calling the guy in the next few days and sub some work to him, i would end up cheaper than paying my guys hourly.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
SeHablaEspaņol

Rewards Points: 500
View AztecPainting's Photo Album My Photos

You gotta understand that all of those guys are doing is advertise gimmicks to attract cheap HO's, they just use that to get in the door, I don't believe for one second that they don't start up charging once they are in. I know of a painter in here that does that, guess what? the I've seen this guy driving a freaking new hummer.

Do the math of what this guy is offering, Is not cheap, isn't it? , consider that most of the people that want to re paint a bedroom at least want ceilings, trim and doors (not only one coat on walls)...

Nobody could tell you what's the perfect business model because everyone's opinion of success is different and aiming for different things as well, just like the way to get to it, surely what works for him, it wouldn't for me. JMO
><
>
AztecPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

I dont like the "gimmick" approach, it makes me feel dirty

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
Different Strokes (07-15-2011), PressurePros (07-14-2011), straight_lines (07-16-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View cappaint's Photo Album My Photos

That will come out to about 4-500 per room by the time the dude nickels and dimes ya.
cappaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
A PAINTER PAINTING

Rewards Points: 150
View Burt White's Photo Album My Photos

Ya whats the up charg for the secand coat, don't know about you guys but i never get the cheepist paint to cover in 1 coat.
Burt White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt White View Post
Ya whats the up charg for the secand coat, don't know about you guys but i never get the cheepist paint to cover in 1 coat.
It is funny how that works. But the good stuff does, I wonder why.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 582
View CliffK's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
I dont like the "gimmick" approach, it makes me feel dirty
I agree NC, but more and more I find that is what the public is looking for...someone who tells them what they want to hear. Personally I can't do it, I am too "old school".

If you read the wording carefully you can see how the upcharges will quickly add up. It is just a way to get in the door. I just think it is bad for the integrity of the industry, but hey, it's "survivor" out there these days. Let the buyer beware........
CliffK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffK For This Useful Post:
NCPaint1 (07-16-2011)
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,056
View Jason@API's Photo Album My Photos

Here is a Living Social ad in our area: http://livingsocial.com/deals/63059-...ing?msdc_id=31

You have to read "the fine print" in order to see that the cost of the project will likely be more than what your paying for. (one color, one coat per wall)........

Jason@API is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffK View Post
I agree NC, but more and more I find that is what the public is looking for...someone who tells them what they want to hear. Personally I can't do it, I am too "old school".

If you read the wording carefully you can see how the upcharges will quickly add up. It is just a way to get in the door. I just think it is bad for the integrity of the industry, but hey, it's "survivor" out there these days. Let the buyer beware........
i agree with you CliffK, i get calls pretty often from people asking how much to paint 1,2 or more bedrooms and i just give them the ballpark price if that is what they are looking for... Then they start asking why so much sine other painting companies are doing it for $99 or less? My question to them is why don't you have them doing it instead of calling other companies? Guess what 70% of them call back and ask when we can start the job... This "5 Star Painting" gimmick still works on quiet a few people because of the smooth talking of the sales person that estimates the job on site i guess. Will i ever do this? Never ever, i would rather go sub from bigger companies if i am not busy then misleading the customer. By the way how many of them you think they read the fine print or the conditions for that "Deal"?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagelinePainting View Post
By the way how many of them you think they read the fine print or the conditions for that "Deal"?

Probably about as many that read "terms of service agreements" for different crap on the computer....Im guilty of just "checking" the box. Now I have Nathan living in my basement because he says "I said he could when I checked the box".

Last edited by NCPaint1; 07-16-2011 at 12:26 PM..
NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
CliffK (07-16-2011)

Tags
None