Should i sue a client for $700? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
P.R.O

Rewards Points: 25
View Auolona's Photo Album My Photos
Default Should i sue a client for $700?

A friend of mine who is a kitchen and bath designer referred me to one of his clients for painting. I meet with what appeared to me as a nice intellectual couple. Gave them a quote, they agreed and before starting the job i made them sign a one page contract.
They were renovating an old home and my task was to REPAINT the interior.
The contract specifically stated. Prime to be used ONLY on areas where new dry wall was installed or plaster repairs.
He paid me 50% upfront before i started then i started work. I promised them that painting will be done within a week if not earlier.
While me and my guys were working they would come and compliment me regarding my attention to details.
Total amount was i believe $3700 not including paint.
towards the end he paid me another amount making the total paid amount to $3000, (he still owned me $700).

I also told him that in case there were scratches during floor installation (which was done after painting) i would come back and touch up the areas for free.
A week goes by, floor was installed then i call him to get the last $700 payment.
When i get there he started giving me attitude saying i didnt do the job properly because baseboards were previewsly painted in oil and i just painted them semigloss without primer.
Apparently he went to Benjamin Moore store and they told him that the guy who is painting your house is not professional because they should buy this and that product to remove oil paint first then prime and 2 coats of semigloss paint.

I was trying to be calm and i asked him a very simple question: " Do you still have a copy of the contract or you want me to provide you with one?, It specifically says that i will only prime areas where there are plaster or new drywall installations, nothing more and nothing less. If i start priming the whole house you would have been paying more. However i can redo it by priming it first and then giving it two coats of semigloss even though it is not part of our contract"
He then said: No i want you to remove the paint you have used first then when that paint is completely off you will prime it and give two coats of semi.
I said Sir that is impossible... then he got more agitated and asked me to leave his property.

I know it is just $700 but i have never been treated like that before.
I was aware of the fact that baseboards were previously painted in oil, and thats why i ordered a special formula that works best to stick as much as possible to oil.
The owner did not have scratches on the baseboards. He was just pissed off because These idiots that call them selves professionals at the paint store told him that oil can not be repainted without a primer. Which is true. That is the best way to go about it, but when you do not have a budget for it and you don't mention it i will consider it a repaint and my best to prime whenever it is absolutely necessary.

Again he did not have one single scratch on the baseboards. if you tried to nail scratch it nothing would have happened to the paint. I did offer to repaint the baseboards and he refused.

Should i sue this client or not?

Last edited by Auolona; 06-01-2012 at 07:32 PM..

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

I didn't read your story, but you don't sue over 700 bucks you take them to small claims. which you both represent yourselves, no lawyers.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000
View StripandCaulk's Photo Album My Photos

You ordered a "special formula" ?
The Following User Says Thank You to StripandCaulk For This Useful Post:
sendit6 (06-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 300
View Steve Burnett's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auolona
A friend of mine who is a kitchen and bath designer referred me to one of his clients for painting. I meet with what appeared to me as a nice intellectual couple. Gave them a quote, they agreed and before starting the job i made them sign a one page contract.
They were renovating an old home and my task was to REPAINT the interior.
The contract specifically stated. Prime to be used ONLY on areas where new dry wall was installed or plaster repairs.
He paid me 50% upfront before i started then i started work. I promised them that painting will be done within a week if not earlier.
While me and my guys were working they would come and compliment me regarding my attention to details.
Total amount was i believe $3700 not including paint.
towards the end he paid me another amount making the total paid amount to $3000, (he still owned me $700).

I also told him that in case there were scratches during floor installation (which was done after painting) i would come back and touch up the areas for free.
A week goes by, floor was installed then i call him to get the last $700 payment.
When i get there he started giving me attitude saying i didnt do the job properly because baseboards were previewsly painted in oil and i just painted them semigloss without primer.
Apparently he went to Benjamin Moore store and they told him that the guy who is painting your house is not professional because they should buy this and that product to remove oil paint first then prime and 2 coats of semigloss paint.

I was trying to be calm and i asked him a very simple question: " Do you still have a copy of the contract or you want me to provide you with one?, It specifically says that i will only prime areas where there are plaster or new drywall installations, nothing more and nothing less. If i start priming the whole house you would have been paying more. However i can redo it by priming it first and then giving it two coats of semigloss even though it is not part of our contract"
He then said: No i want you to remove the paint you have used first then when that paint is completely off you will prime it and give two coats of semi.
I said Sir that is impossible... then he got more agitated and asked me to leave his property.

I know it is just $700 but i have never been treated like that before.
I was aware of the fact that baseboards were previously painted in oil, and thats why i ordered a special formula that works best to stick as much as possible to oil.
The owner did not have scratches on the baseboards. He was just pissed off because These idiots that call them selves professionals at the paint store told him that oil can not be repainted without a primer. Which is true. That is the best way to go about it, but when you do not have a budget for it and you don't mention it i will consider it a repaint and my best to prime whenever it is absolutely necessary.

Again he did not have one single scratch on the baseboards. if you tried to nail scratch it nothing would have happened to the paint. I did offer to repaint the baseboards and he refused.

Should i sue this client or not?
It's not worth the hassle. I'd let it go.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #5

View ROOMINADAY's Photo Album My Photos

And tell him you added urine in the semi to make it stick to oil better.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ROOMINADAY For This Useful Post:
pacificpainters.com (06-12-2012), straight_lines (06-01-2012), StripandCaulk (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 712
View robladd's Photo Album My Photos

What Gabe said, sounds like they went over budget and are trying to recover their loss by shorting your pay.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Or they are pissed because he put water over oil and now they can not vacuum or mop the floors because the paint will come off..

Regardless of the customers budget, I would never skip chit knowing it will fail. If they can't afford to do it right then they should hold off till they can.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
Colour Republic (06-17-2012), deluxe (06-01-2012), Mthom93 (06-03-2012), NCPaint1 (06-01-2012), nEighter (06-18-2012), pacificpainters.com (06-12-2012), Paradigmzz (06-02-2012), Tonyg (06-18-2012), Wolfgang (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by roominaday View Post
and tell him you added urine in the semi to make it stick to oil better.
dont give away my secrets. Goshh. Btw your supposed to add bear fecees as well

Last edited by StripandCaulk; 06-01-2012 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPainting
Or they are pissed because he put water over oil and now they can not vacuum or mop the floors because the paint will come off..

Regardless of the customers budget, I would never skip chit knowing it will fail. If they can't afford to do it right then they should hold off till they can.

Pat
Agree 100% but its far from reality. Had a customer today bring pictures of his deck. A stain nightmare...he asked what to do. I said it definitely needs to be stripped or whatever he puts over it will fail. He proceeded to ask me at least 10 different ways about what would happen if he went over it with different brand stains without stripping.....I said they would all fail. He didn't believe me and left.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

What process, and product did you use to get good adhesion to the substrate? Are there any bonding issues, or just gouges and scratches on the base because of the floor guys? Just trying to clarify.

I know that the customer got what was in the contract, and what he paid for. But sometimes they ask for something that isn't in there best interest. Homeowners aren't born with a painting manual in there heads. Its up to us as the professionals to educate, and deliver a job that will perform. Otherwise don't do it.
CApainter (06-03-2012), deluxe (06-01-2012), nEighter (06-19-2012), playedout6 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
What process, and product did you use to get good adhesion to the substrate? Are there any bonding issues, or just gouges and scratches on the base because of the floor guys? Just trying to clarify.

I know that the customer got what was in the contract, and what he paid for. But sometimes they ask for something that isn't in there best interest. Homeowners aren't born with a painting manual in there heads. Its up to us as the professionals to educate, and deliver a job that will perform. Otherwise don't do it.
Schmidt, in his post he said he used a "special formula"
Old 06-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150
View PaintingContractorNJ's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
I didn't read your story, but you don't sue over 700 bucks you take them to small claims. which you both represent yourselves, no lawyers.
When you take someone to small claims court, you are suing them!
I do believe you can hire an attorney if you want to.

Small claims in NJ is up to $2,000.

Special Civil is up to $5,000.

Civil, sky is the limit!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #13

Yes, sue the bastard!
The Following User Says Thank You to PaintingContractorNJ For This Useful Post:
JNLP (06-02-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Old as dirt member

Rewards Points: 688
Thanked 8,440 Times in 4,284 Posts
View Schmidt & Co.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by StripandCaulk View Post
Schmidt, in his post he said he used a "special formula"
Is that a private label, and who makes it?
playedout6 (06-02-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidt & Co. View Post
Is that a private label, and who makes it?
Idk, hopefully i can get my hands on it though it sounds intense. When i can tell my clients i have a special formula im going to sell so many more jobs
Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

How many hours and time off from work will it require to go to court?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
playedout6 (06-02-2012), Schmidt & Co. (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingContractorNJ View Post
When you take someone to small claims court, you are suing them!
I do believe you can hire an attorney if you want to.

Small claims in NJ is up to $2,000.

Special Civil is up to $5,000.

Civil, sky is the limit!
small claims in Calif is up to 10 k and you represent yourself. and you right it is still a lawsuit.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Auolona,

I can understand a paint store commenting that it is common practice to apply a bonding primer over old oil to ensure proper adhesion, but you state there is no adhesion problems.

If you prepared the surface correctly (sand & wash), applied a product that was suitable and have no adhesion issues, you should prevail in a small claims type of setting.

Do you Canadians have Small Claims Courts?

If you feel you acted responsibly to provide a professional service (not ONLY fulfilling the contract, but fulfilling it PROFESSIONALLY), then by all means, do what you can to recoup your $700.

I would first write him and describe how your process was suitable and within acceptable standards and that you feel the paint store was NOT giving sound advice. If he refuses to pay, then gather all your evidence (including manufacturer's recommendations for the product use over oil) and file a claim.

He will try to prove you did NOT use the product in a manner as recommended by the manufacturer regardless of what the contract stated.

"Are we having fun yet"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
fauxlynn (06-02-2012), PaintingContractorNJ (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
small claims in Calif is up to 10 k and you represent yourself. and you right it is still a lawsuit.
Calif - $10,000 (effective January 1, 2012), except that a plaintiff may not file a claim over $2,500 more than twice a year. Limit for local public entity or for businesses is $5,000. $6,500 is the limit in suits by an individual against a guarantor that charges for its guarantor or surety services.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaintingContractorNJ For This Useful Post:
ewingpainting.net (06-01-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #20
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

Well mate, in my opinion you should have prepared and primed the skirting boards before applying the topcoat. Skirtings tend to get a hammering from the mop and the broom, so it needs a really hard durable finish. If you have applied acrylic topcoat over oil based then it will scratch off.

The homeowner has a legitimate point of concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian C For This Useful Post:
benthepainter (06-17-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
painting contract, sue client