Sigh...so should I worry? - Page 4 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Pete Martin the Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 2,127
Rewards Points: 210
Thanks: 1,510
Thanked 811 Times in 452 Posts
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exactoman View Post
I don't understand? 2600 sq ft home and labor costs well above 2000$? Does that mean not above 3000$? Is this a quote for some cabinets in the 2600 sq ft home, or are you doing all the baseboards? What up?
Not sure why you are confused. I provided a qoute for a New Construction home-all walls and trim (no cabinets) and the labor alone was well above $2000, which is the number that the OP stated her competitor gave for a price for a larger NC job. I do not think that $3000 is well above $2000, but then again my point was not to suggest how much I charge, but rather to imply that what the other painter is charging in labor costs is ridiculous.
__________________
Ancora Imparo (I'm Still Learning)--Michelangelo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #62
RH
Moderator
 
RH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 19,058
Rewards Points: 6,542
Thanks: 11,796
Thanked 15,492 Times in 8,151 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
I did an NC estimate for a 2600 sq ft home, and my labor costs were well above $2000. Does he plan to use a few fivers with explosives. I think I recall an episode of Mr. Bean doing something similar to this. How can anybody make a living charging this rate?
They can't - beer money.
__________________
“Getting an inch of snow is like winning ten cents in the lottery.”

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 08:11 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,338
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
They can't - beer money.
That's not enough for beer money!
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 89
Thanks: 122
Thanked 192 Times in 65 Posts
View Happee_grrl's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Granted, my quote was nowhere in the range of what you guys have been saying, but still.

And the client thinks that's not bad money for a week or two weeks work. Ugh.
Happee_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:45 AM   #65
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 935
Rewards Points: 1,608
Thanks: 670
Thanked 635 Times in 394 Posts
View paintball head's Photo Album My Photos
Default

When I first started I had a customer that was keeping track of my hours so they would know exactly how much I was getting for their project. I am laughing just remembering it. Hasn't happened since, as my clientele has changed since then, but that is a really tight ASS ignorant customer that will do that.
paintball head is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paintball head For This Useful Post:
Brian C (04-01-2015), PACman (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:18 PM   #66
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Central Florida/Mount Dora
Posts: 2,347
Rewards Points: 34
Thanks: 4,781
Thanked 2,429 Times in 1,274 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball head View Post
When I first started I had a customer that was keeping track of my hours so they would know exactly how much I was getting for their project. I am laughing just remembering it. Hasn't happened since, as my clientele has changed since then, but that is a really tight ASS ignorant customer that will do that.
They were simply attempting to figure your labor rate.......something we all do. I don't blame them. I wouldn't do that as a customer, but I don't blame them. Fun with math and all that stuff.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:20 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
JourneymanBrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 170
Rewards Points: 36
Thanks: 52
Thanked 84 Times in 45 Posts
View JourneymanBrian's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Wouldnt politely asking be easier?
JourneymanBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JourneymanBrian For This Useful Post:
Happee_grrl (04-01-2015), painter1986 (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 566
Rewards Points: 234
Thanks: 447
Thanked 263 Times in 170 Posts
View Exactoman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete the Painter View Post
Not sure why you are confused. I provided a qoute for a New Construction home-all walls and trim (no cabinets) and the labor alone was well above $2000, which is the number that the OP stated her competitor gave for a price for a larger NC job. I do not think that $3000 is well above $2000, but then again my point was not to suggest how much I charge, but rather to imply that what the other painter is charging in labor costs is ridiculous.

You charge less than a dollar a sq ft for labor?

I guess there are a lot of hungry painters around? AND you live in Massachusetts, one of the most expensive states to live in!
Exactoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 175
Rewards Points: 164
Thanks: 127
Thanked 96 Times in 36 Posts
View painter1986's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Once I had a job booked with a client - talked colors, multiple meetings, great rapport, etc. She was balking at having to commit to me and didn't want to sign the contract. She said, "Well, just come paint for a few hours and we'll see how it goes." I told her I can't mobilize my entire crew, buy materials, and drive out there without a commitment. She couldn't understand why I didn't want to make a commitment without her making a commitment. I told her she'd probably be happier with another painter. Sometimes you have to fire clients.
__________________
Colorado Paint Pros, LLC
Northern Colorado Painting and Pressure Washing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
painter1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to painter1986 For This Useful Post:
Brian C (04-02-2015), DrakeB (04-02-2015), ExcelPaintingCo (04-02-2015), PACman (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
PACman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North central Ohio
Posts: 11,338
Rewards Points: 158
Thanks: 2,999
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter1986 View Post
Once I had a job booked with a client - talked colors, multiple meetings, great rapport, etc. She was balking at having to commit to me and didn't want to sign the contract. She said, "Well, just come paint for a few hours and we'll see how it goes." I told her I can't mobilize my entire crew, buy materials, and drive out there without a commitment. She couldn't understand why I didn't want to make a commitment without her making a commitment. I told her she'd probably be happier with another painter. Sometimes you have to fire clients.
Obviously she hadn't been dealing with true professional painters in the past.
__________________
"One who dares not offend cannot be honest." Thomas Paine-patriot

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
RH (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:16 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
ExcelPaintingCo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 1,577
Rewards Points: 4
Thanks: 1,738
Thanked 2,143 Times in 896 Posts
View ExcelPaintingCo's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiproJohn
They were simply attempting to figure your labor rate.......something we all do. I don't blame them. I wouldn't do that as a customer, but I don't blame them. Fun with math and all that stuff.
We need to educate the HOs that the labor rate doesn't necessarily mean a thing. Example: how can a company that charges $65/hr, be a better value and lower price, than a company the charges $35/hr? Answer: $65/ hr company can afford to invest in expensive tools, such as festool, larger pressure washing equipment and paint sprayers, plus hire more experienced qualified painters. $35/hr company only hand sands, used cheap broken down equipment, can't pay their help, and takes 3 times as long to produce an inferior product.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ExcelPaintingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ExcelPaintingCo For This Useful Post:
PACman (04-02-2015), SemiproJohn (04-02-2015), wje (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 89
Thanks: 122
Thanked 192 Times in 65 Posts
View Happee_grrl's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Ouch guys. I live in the real midwest. I can't charge 65/hr!
Happee_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
ExcelPaintingCo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 1,577
Rewards Points: 4
Thanks: 1,738
Thanked 2,143 Times in 896 Posts
View ExcelPaintingCo's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happee_grrl
Ouch guys. I live in the real midwest. I can't charge 65/hr!
that was just a hypothetical example of how labor rates can be misleading and don't necessarily correlate with value. FWIW, I don't charge that much either. Only in my dreams.....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ExcelPaintingCo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ExcelPaintingCo For This Useful Post:
wje (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #74
Painting Contractor
 
Damon T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 4,061
Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanks: 4,409
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happee_grrl View Post
Ouch guys. I live in the real midwest. I can't charge 65/hr!

That's ok. It's all relative. Your cost of living is much lower than out on the best coast. The principle remains the same.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
Gough (04-02-2015), wje (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 89
Thanks: 122
Thanked 192 Times in 65 Posts
View Happee_grrl's Photo Album My Photos
Default

No kidding! If I go hourly, I don't dare go over 35, and that's on complicated things like popcorn ceilings or wood floors.
Happee_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #76
Member
 
allaboutfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 46
Rewards Points: 4
Thanks: 51
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
View allaboutfun's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelPaintingCo View Post
We need to educate the HOs that the labor rate doesn't necessarily mean a thing. Example: how can a company that charges $65/hr, be a better value and lower price, than a company the charges $35/hr? Answer: $65/ hr company can afford to invest in expensive tools, such as festool, larger pressure washing equipment and paint sprayers, plus hire more experienced qualified painters. $35/hr company only hand sands, used cheap broken down equipment, can't pay their help, and takes 3 times as long to produce an inferior product.
And.......most likely going to screw a supplier or two at some point

Is it summer yet?
allaboutfun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allaboutfun For This Useful Post:
PACman (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #77
Senior Member
 
Pete Martin the Painter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gloucester, MA
Posts: 2,127
Rewards Points: 210
Thanks: 1,510
Thanked 811 Times in 452 Posts
View Pete Martin the Painter's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exactoman View Post
You charge less than a dollar a sq ft for labor?

I guess there are a lot of hungry painters around? AND you live in Massachusetts, one of the most expensive states to live in!
I am thinking that you are not understanding what I am trying to convey. My estimate charged more than $2,000 (a lot more) for the 2,600 sq. ft. home.
__________________
Ancora Imparo (I'm Still Learning)--Michelangelo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pete Martin the Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not many PTers have to worry about this straight_lines Off Topic (Non Trade) 7 07-31-2014 04:45 AM
Alex Flex. Sigh mbob General Painting Discussion 43 12-30-2013 01:29 PM
Wall of worry, again! plainpainter Off Topic (Non Trade) 25 11-23-2011 10:01 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com