Sk5000 (new construction) - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PACman

Old 11-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View Nsomepaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Sk5000 (new construction)

Do you like it? I do but my only drawback has been mdf(raw) and closets(new construction). I rattle can MDF shelving and benches with Bin, sand, dust and finish coat twice, or aqua lock and 1 coat finish. It seems to raise the grain a lot causing it to be rough. Anyone else experience this issue? Also closets I prime with pva, sand after and spray 1 coat sk5000 semigloss, they come out rough also and I have to sand them again and finish coat, then they are smooth.
Nsomepaint is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,514
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

MDF and raw wood, prime with lenmar 1WB.200. Doesn't raise grain and sands to powder 20-30minutes. About 1/2 the price of BIN too. Spray only though.

SK5000 acrylic/alkyd (203/204). Really great product for the price ~$28/gal

or CabinetCoat. CabinetCoat cures much faster and has better coverage than SK5000 but cost almost double.

BTW Dont bother with PVA, use SuperSpec253. Cost more but will save you hours of headaches.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #3

View WestKyPainter's Photo Album My Photos

I was going to post a question asking about this MDF crap, weird. Anyway, I'm finishing up a 500k home with columns that are made of MDF and I think they're a PITA. They don't prep well, meaning the nail holes are very hard to make look good. We sprayed on several coats of SW Pro Classic in semi gloss and the nail holes tend to tattletale.

I've been in this business a long time, it seems this MDF is more popular than before. There's a learning curve on it.
WestKyPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,514
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestKyPainter View Post
I was going to post a question asking about this MDF crap, weird. Anyway, I'm finishing up a 500k home with columns that are made of MDF and I think they're a PITA. They don't prep well, meaning the nail holes are very hard to make look good. We sprayed on several coats of SW Pro Classic in semi gloss and the nail holes tend to tattletale.

I've been in this business a long time, it seems this MDF is more popular than before. There's a learning curve on it.

Which proclassic?
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 70
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

you really have to use a lacquer or alkyd based primer on this new mdf crap. Anything else cause all kinds of problems. I did a test in the hillbilly paint lab a couple of years ago and the only products that didn't cause microbubbles or raise the grain were lacquers, true oil, or shellac based. It's another case of them finding a cheaper way to make a substrate without any regards to how much trouble it will be to make it look good.
monarchski likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 434
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

They have been using unfinished MDF for closet shelving for at least 20 years in my area. And of course the pre primed for trim for much longer. I don't like it, it chips much easier than wood.

BM Alkyd Enamel Underbody is about the best primer for raw MDF that I have found.
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 70
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
They have been using unfinished MDF for closet shelving for at least 20 years in my area. And of course the pre primed for trim for much longer. I don't like it, it chips much easier than wood.

BM Alkyd Enamel Underbody is about the best primer for raw MDF that I have found.
I haven't tested that product but i'd have to agree that it would be an excellent choice.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None