Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Smoke Damaged Carport Roof

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  lilpaintchic 
#1 ·
hi every 1. couple ?s for you all, but 1st a bit of background.

until today ive only owned 1 pump. for the last 27 years ive used a 1983 titan speeflo powrtwin (gas or elec). shes big and very heavy and she can blast out whatever you want to put through her no questions asked, but it seems the years have caught up with me before they did her so i caved and ordered a nice little graco ultra 395 pc today ... she will be here monday - whoop whoop!

i also bought the flat bed yard cart from lowes that i plan to put the pump and my paint/cleanup bucket in, and will attach a tool/tip box on it so i should be good to go on downsizing a great deal of weight and ease of mobility around the job site.

ok, my 1st project with my 1st ever little pump will be a very large carport/party area roof that has a fire pit under it that they used quite often. the smoke/soot damage isnt terrible but it is definitely noticeable. i plan on dousing it with some type of heavy duty mean green solution out of a bug sprayer then blasting it with a pressure washer. give it a day to dry then shoot some tinted latex zinsser on it followed up with some ext. latex.

so, does this seem feasible? or should i just use my big pump for the prime coat and just run standard latax paint "only" through the little one?

also, can i store this little pump with a water/antifreeze solution without any adverse affects? has always worked well for the big one but figured i would ask anyways.

and thanks for any info you might have on a 395.

See less See more
#4 ·
Depending on how bad the smoke damage is, I'd consider cleaning it up a bit and hitting the worst of it with a couple of spray cans of old based primer.(or maybe a weenie and tinted oil) You can run solvents through your new little pump but at a minimum, I'd suggest that you get a dedicated line and maybe a set of filters for that purpose. And I wouldn't do it often....make sure a good cleaning happens.yes, you can use an antifreeze/water solution for storage. Obviously making sure the pressure has been released.

#8 ·
You can run solvents through your new little pump but at a minimum, I'd suggest that you get a dedicated line and maybe a set of filters for that purpose. And I wouldn't do it often
the quote above is the stuff i need to learn, i know what the proper primer to use is if im using my big pump because it can spray whatever. my concern is with the capabilities of the 395 when it comes to shooting an oil or a latex primer, or if i should at all?

#5 · (Edited)
thanks for info. its a 24x40 open on all sides carport that stands just to the side of the main residence. the far half of it is dedicated to being a shelter house with outdoor bar, grills and smokers, fire pit, ect ect.

although the damage isnt really all that bad even at its worst area, it stretches out quite a ways before it begins to fade away. but these folks live in one of the nicest houses in town (easily in the top 5 anyways), and they also didnt bat an eye when i gave them my bid, just wanted to know when i could get started, so im not going to take any chances and ill just use the titan for the prime and start using the 395 after that.

but on the bright side they do want the color changed from white to a very dark blue/gray color so that should help a bunch.

#6 · (Edited)
Although dedicated sprayers are ideal I've never had a problem switching between oil and latex in the same rig. I flush with the appropriate solvent for the paint to be used before setup and store with thinner if oil was used or pump armor if latex. Filters are pulled are clean so they are dry and installed after flush before setup. The only rigs that I don't switch are FF sprayers, they are dedicated.

#7 · (Edited)
IMO, it's not like the soot is from burning plastic, or polyurethane, where the smell would be an issue. I think your approach is sound. I'd probably do the same thing.

And as far as switching from solvent to water bornes in an airless, it can be done, but I prefer to use seperate lines. For airless storage, I use Corocheck.

#9 ·
It won't hurt the pump either way really. The cleaning is what determines how well and how long it performs. I've done it both ways, I've just developed a preference. Solvents chew through and warp the seals if they're not thoroughly rinsed clean and solvents will break down latex residue in the lines (or in the pump) leading to clogs and such, hence the dedicated lines...ime.

#10 ·
thanks for ya'lls posts, i decided she will be a latex only pump. heres an update on my project.

today i flushed out and fired up with the little pump and she worked great. far exceeded how i was expecting it to perform.

so, yesterday i bug sprayed a strong concentration of krud kutter, let it sit for a few then blasted it off with pressure washer. today i sprayed 1 gallon of valspar exterior latex primer to the hardest hit area then laid down 1 coat of lowes - hgtv sherwin-williams ovation satin paint and primer in 1 and the results were fantastic. it all looks absolutely new again with no bleed-thru anywhere, it all covered in 1 including a couple of replaced trim boards that had raw edges. also the home owner changed her mind (again) so when i got there i found 10gal of some colonial / baby blue looking color waiting for me instead of the dark blue she said she was going to get, but it still worked out quite well. tomorrow ill be spraying out the exterior of a really nice looking 144sf tiny house that they built for their cats, has heat/ac, automatic food / cat treat /water system, cushy lookin cat beds up in a loft, lots climbing stuff and toys, and theres a also a tv thats turns on and off for them.
oh well, its a gig i suppose, and even though i dont want to paint for some spoiled rotten cats im going to keep their owners happy, just hope i dont lose sight of one of them and accidentally spray its tail blue. ooooops :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.