Some Customers Like Expensive Paint - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 05-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #1
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Some Customers Like Expensive Paint

Got this email tonight.

Gotta do it. No behr shall be fed on this one.

(email from customer)
Tim,Sorry it has taken us a bit of time to get back to you, oh life can get busy eh?
We would love to have you paint.
I think we are set on the natura by BM since our youngest has some respiratory difficulties.
Let me know what your timeline looks like for getting started and we can work around you.
Thanks,
Wendy

Note: I submitted a detailed estimate covering all the details and scope of the project. They realized I listened to them and after contacting some references I gave them at the initial meeting, they realized we were a good fit.

I am grateful for this type of relationship. It's a win win deal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

I looked up Natura on webmd and couldnt find anything related to aid with respiratory health issues. Where are these people getting their info? Can you imagine this ladies headache?

Natura has quite the story behind it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Almost Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack pauhl View Post
I looked up Natura on webmd and couldnt find anything related to aid with respiratory health issues. Where are these people getting their info? Can you imagine this ladies headache?

Oh, well, there's that.

What I find important is that I offered other options for paint that would be both a bit less expensive but would perform just as good. I mentioned a bit about the voc thing, how that won't always alleviate odors, etc.

What's key is she believes it's the best for her situation. After discussing it with her, I realized I couldn't possibly change her mind, and how dare I attempt to shatter the paradigm.

Her belief may be the only thing that will create a successful experience for her.

Let's hope for that.

p.s. I read the article. That was 3 yrs ago, and a defect in a batch that was recalled. What was cool was BM stood behind the product and paid to have everything fixed, even new drywall. Pretty cool company. I don't see behr standing behind anything they do. But thanks for the heads up. If I smell dead fish smell when I open the can, I'm going to make a few phone calls.

Last edited by TJ Paint; 05-16-2012 at 01:29 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #4
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

What are the options today for people with a high sensitivity to paints? The way paints change any more its difficult to keep up with all of them? I hear about Harmony now and then but have not used it since it came out.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000
View StripandCaulk's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
What are the options today for people with a high sensitivity to paints? The way paints change any more its difficult to keep up with all of them? I hear about Harmony now and then but have not used it since it came out.
JP, nautra is a good bet. Harmony by SW i have personally never used. I had a client back in CT that had severe sensitivity to paint. I had to use a zero voc paint and open all the windows, with fans in them blowing any fumes out. My go to was Natura for her home.

I was under the impression from trolling a thread on here that behr DID have a zero VOC?
StripandCaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Benny Moore is really good about standing behind their products. The recently hired me to fix a problem that wasnt really their fault IMO, but they went above and beyond to make sure the client was happy. Very impressive. They are also replacing paint on a job I did 12 years ago that they said faded more than it should have. Nobody covers fading, but there you go.
The low and no voc paints don't last as long In the cans as previous paints, the article mentioned the lady kept the paint and used it later on, a year or more I think. That could have been part of the problem.

I've used natura recently with no issues, I have a lot of clients that prefer to use more expensive paints, in fact I find it easier to sell jobs with expensive paint than with cheap paint.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Damon T For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Fortunately, complaints aren't even always driven by price. Here is a "foul odor" complaint about another brand of paint.

vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
Fortunately, complaints aren't even always driven by price. Here is a "foul odor" complaint about another brand of paint.
That stinks!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
RH

Rewards Points: 10,198
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontpainter View Post
I find most of today's non-specialized paints have relatively low and benign odor. I do explain that zero VOC doesn't really mean no odor. In fact I feel the zero VOC paints usually smell more, or at least as much, as the regular products.

Some people are just naturally more sensitive to odors of any type and for them most paints are going to be troublesome. One of the few brands I try to avoid is Manor Hall. IMO even though it performs well, every time I've used it has had a somewhat sour smell like dirty gym socks and is not a pleasant paint to work with from that perspective.

If I have a consumer that is requesting I use a specific brand of interior wall or ceiling paint it's usually been my experience that Aura is the one they are interested in. They've read about it online and feel its quality is something they are wiling to pay for. I may lay out some other options but won't try and talk them out of it if that's their wish.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Almost Gone

I wonder with the behr situation, if they would pay to have the drywall replaced like in the BM case?

I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:32 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 508
View wills fresh coat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

That's some funny sh*t right there jack, these younguns think that just because a gal of paint cost $65 that it is the end all, I wonder if the op will go back and show her the artical so she can now have all the details on the crap he is about to put on her castle..I wouldn't bet on it
wills fresh coat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
Almost Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills fresh coat View Post
That's some funny sh*t right there jack, these younguns think that just because a gal of paint cost $65 that it is the end all, I wonder if the op will go back and show her the artical so she can now have all the details on the crap he is about to put on her castle..I wouldn't bet on it
It's ok to be jealous that I can make good money and use a high quality, expensive coating at the same time.

Go away, don't you have some $8/gal speedhide to apply somewhere?

JP actually provided some useful info to this topic, and I appreciated it. Knowing how bad you are at critically reading any content, you seem to miss pertinent details consistantly, you probably missed the fact that this happwned in 2009 and there was a recall, and the problem has been resolved. A quality company will do that.

Last edited by TJ Paint; 05-16-2012 at 01:34 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJ Paint For This Useful Post:
ReNt A PaInTeR (05-16-2012), Tonyg (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Paint

It's ok to be jealous that I can make good money and use a high quality, expensive coating at the same time.

Go away, don't you have some $8/gal speedhide to apply somewhere?
TJ. Its natural selection my friend. Some people are destined to ride the horse, while others are destined to clean the horse poo off the street. It doesn't matter what role you assume, as long as you enjoy it :-)

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCPaint1 For This Useful Post:
TJ Paint (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
RH

Rewards Points: 10,198
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPaint1 View Post
TJ. Its natural selection my friend. Some people are destined to ride the horse, while others are destined to clean the horse poo off the street. It doesn't matter what role you assume, as long as you enjoy it :-)
My early days - but I got better!
Attached Thumbnails
Some Customers Like Expensive Paint-sf_day_20_lg.jpg  

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None