Spray tips are not created equal. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Zoomer
  • 1 Post By Mr Smith
  • 2 Post By Zoomer

Old 06-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 526
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spray tips are not created equal.

Recently I was given a new Titan HEAspray tip to try out.
The size I was given was a 213.
I thought I would try it out by sprained it first with the very thin viscosity primer called Bins synthetic shellac on kitchen cabinet doors.
I am using a TRI-TECH T4 sprayer for this application.
It took me up to 1650 PSI for this tip to Atomize properly.
After getting the tip to properly spray I measured the width of the spray pattern to be approximately 7 1/2 inches.
Quite unusual for a 213 tip. I usually expect This size tip to give me somewhere between 4 to 5 inches width on my spray pattern.
The tip seem to atomize the material on a scale from 1 to 10 about 7.
Really nothing to write home about and was somewhat discouraged because according to all of the reviews and literature I have read about these tips they were to use a much lower pressure therefore not having as much over spray or wasted material.
Yet with a spray pattern of approximately just over 7 inches it was quite a bit of wasted material on kitchen cabinet doors being sprayed.
What I have read through extensive studies is that the Titan tips have a carbide hardness somewhere between 60-65,
Graco tips are somewhere between 70-75
And tri-tech tips are somewhere between 90 to 95.
A substantial difference in hardness of tips which means that you have a prolonged life the harder the carbide and a smoother spray pattern.
That being said I decided for these kitchen cabinets to pull out one of my older TRI-TECH 212 fine finish tips.
The tip took about 1550 to atomize and gave me a spray pattern width of about 5 inches.
On these kitchen cabinet doors I was spraying Benjamin Moore Advance semi-gloss in color number hc168.
Even with a used tip I achieved a beautiful result and here is the picture after spraying the second coat today. I continue to use what I consider the best of the big three when it comes to equipment and spray tips. The results are speaking for themselves and I always encourage those individuals who ask me to use tri-tech instead of the other two for a superior spray result.
Attached Thumbnails
Spray tips are not created equal.-img_20180628_110930157_1530216182816.jpg  

lilpaintchic, Woodco and Sn0man like this.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (06-30-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,752
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

I've never seen that sprayer before. Apparently it is made in New Jersey?

Looks to be similarly priced to a Graco 395.

I assume that a Graco would be cheaper to repair due to parts availability. Could be wrong.

https://www.pontiacpaintsupply.com/p...irless-sprayer

Last edited by Mr Smith; 06-28-2018 at 04:19 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
I thought I would try it out by sprained it first with the very thin viscosity primer called Bins synthetic shellac on kitchen cabinet doors.
After getting the tip to properly spray I measured the width of the spray pattern to be approximately 7 1/2 inches.
Quite unusual for a 213 tip. I usually expect This size tip to give me somewhere between 4 to 5 inches width on my spray pattern.
Really nothing to write home about and was somewhat discouraged because according to all of the reviews and literature I have read about these tips they were to use a much lower pressure therefore not having as much over spray or wasted material.
Yet with a spray pattern of approximately just over 7 inches it was quite a bit of wasted material on kitchen cabinet doors being sprayed.
What I have read through extensive studies is that the Titan tips have a carbide hardness somewhere between 60-65,
A substantial difference in hardness of tips which means that you have a prolonged life the harder the carbide and a smoother spray pattern.
That being said I decided for these kitchen cabinets to pull out one of my older TRI-TECH 212 fine finish tips.
The tip took about 1550 to atomize and gave me a spray pattern width of about 5 inches.
On these kitchen cabinet doors I was spraying Benjamin Moore Advance semi-gloss in color number hc168.
Even with a used tip I achieved a beautiful result and here is the picture after spraying the second coat today. I continue to use what I consider the best of the big three when it comes to equipment and spray tips. The results are speaking for themselves and I always encourage those individuals who ask me to use tri-tech instead of the other two for a superior spray result.
Have you tried the new Graco low-pressure tips? Low pressure = prolonged life. The spray pattern looks to have better feathering too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2018, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
Quote:
Have you tried the new Graco low-pressure tips? Low pressure = prolonged life. The spray pattern looks to have better feathering too.
I actually used a couple of the new Graco tips and found that, no they did not do nearly as good of a job as the TRI-TECH fine finish tips in side-by-side test with the same type of material being sprayed.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #5

Quote:
I've never seen that sprayer before. Apparently it is made in New Jersey?

Looks to be similarly priced to a Graco 395.

I assume that a Graco would be cheaper to repair due to parts availability. Could be wrong.

https://www.pontiacpaintsupply.com/p...irless-sprayer
here is a picture of the t - 4 for you. It is much more powerful and a much better pump than the Graco 395, the Graco 400 or the Graco 495. I also have a t - 7 that I use for spraying everything else except for my kitchen cabinets. The company manufacturers a T-5 , also a T - 9 and soon a T-11
Attached Thumbnails
Spray tips are not created equal.-img_20180108_083952770_1530218082621.jpg  

Old 06-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

There are huge, HUGE differences in spray tip qualities. Of course they all say theirs are the best. Some are crap to say the least.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
here is a picture of the t - 4 for you. It is much more powerful and a much better pump than the Graco 395, the Graco 400 or the Graco 495. I also have a t - 7 that I use for spraying everything else except for my kitchen cabinets. The company manufacturers a T-5 , also a T - 9 and soon a T-11
Apparently, that company is a precision machine shop servicing the military and aerospace industries. Sounds like they know how to make quality stuff.
Woodco likes this.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Apparently, that company is a precision machine shop servicing the military and aerospace industries. Sounds like they know how to make quality stuff.
quality stuff indeed.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Well I guess the OP pretty much summed it up. Titan is still to be considered sub-par compared to Graco.

Tritech makes good stuff, but their not in it for the long haul. Once they get some size to them they'll get bought out. Just the way it goes.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:50 AM   #10
King Dude

Thanked 5,037 Times in 2,863 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Zoomer is right on the money. I haven't had the pleasure of using their sprayers yet but I they make the best tips, hands down.

I like Titan pumps but they can keep their tips. Graco tips are okay but I've found the fine finish ones to me hit or miss and only use them if I need a size I don't have from tritech.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:35 PM   #11

Older TRI-TECH 212 fine finish tip. T-4 pump. 1550 psi. Ben Moore Advance semi-gloss HC-168. Hard to beat finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Spray tips are not created equal.-img_20180628_110930157_1530394407792.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
Wolfgang (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,080
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I did manage to find an online company called pontiacpaintsupply that sells them. They are cheap too, only $25 bucks.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 148
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I really like the Tritech tips they are all I have use for my cabinet finishing, trim and door's. I would love to check one of there pumps...

Last edited by Delta Painting; 07-01-2018 at 07:33 AM..
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
King Dude

Thanked 5,037 Times in 2,863 Posts
View Rbriggs82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
I did manage to find an online company called pontiacpaintsupply that sells them. They are cheap too, only $25 bucks.
Yup that's where I order them from. There was another site I found that I lost, they were selling them for $25 buy 4 get one free.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

|
|
|

|
|
Rbriggs82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Painting View Post
I really like the Tritech tips they are all I have use for my cabinet finishing, trim and door's. I would love to check one of there pumps...
find a local rep. They will demo you a pump like they did for me.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,246
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

anyone used bedford tips? They would retail about $23
http://www.bedfordprecision.com/Html...pray_Tips.html
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
anyone used bedford tips? They would retail about $23
http://www.bedfordprecision.com/Html...pray_Tips.html
I used to sell them in San Diego. There pretty good. Average i guess i would say.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None