Spraying Built-in Bookshelves & Plantation Shutters - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Old 01-22-2016, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2
View nathansecrist's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spraying Built-in Bookshelves & Plantation Shutters

Hi Everyone,

After doing lots of projects for someone else, I finally am getting to a project for my wife.

I built a set of built-in bookcases and am working on Plantation Shutters for a big picture window in our loft. The bookcases are made from poplar and have been sanded down to 220. They are ready for finishing. I left the backs off of them so I won't get too much blowback from the HVLP gun.

The Plantation Shutters - I am using Rockler Woodworking's 3 1/2-inch shutter templates. The louvers and shutter frames are made from basswood. So far it is going good!

Time to start thinking about the finishing!

When finishing both of these items, I would like to use a White Lacquer - Water-Based. I have sprayed plenty of lacquer and polyurethane with my HVLP gun, but I haven't ever sprayed the white lacquer.

2 QUESTIONS

1 - Which White Lacquer Product to Use?

I am looking at the Sherwin Williams Kem Aqua Plus White WB Lacquer. SW also has the white primer to lay down under the lacquer....

It sounds like a great product - For those that have used it - any tips or things to consider when using this product? There are many other brands out there - General Finishes, Target Coatings, ML Campbell and others, but they aren't available here in Denver without having to ship them to me. With the cold weather, shipping isn't an option until the weather gets warmer......
The SW store here has this product in stock.

2 - Spraying the Plantation Shutters?
My conundrum - I have read differing opinions on spraying the shutters.
A - Spray the plantation shutters BEFORE assembly?
or
B - Spray them AFTER assembly.

I think that it would be easier to wait until AFTER assembly. I know you have to be careful to not get too much paint/lacquer down into the shutter pins. Also - since the Primer is water-based, I will have to sand down after the 1st coat to remove the nubbies from the raised-grain. Is this too difficult to do when the shutters are already assembled?

Anyone that has sprayed successfully AFTER shutter assembly, or should I try to spray all the parts individually BEFORE assembly?
There are youtube videos on both options.....

What do you think?
Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alot

Nate
nathansecrist is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 06:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,828 Times in 3,141 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Paint the shutters after assembly.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,338
Thanked 1,556 Times in 778 Posts
View epretot's Photo Album My Photos

Regarding shutter assembly:

The reasons for not painting prior to assembly outweigh the benefits of pre-painting.

Rarely does the wood worker in me trump the painter. This is the rare instance. Do not pre-paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
epretot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epretot For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (01-22-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by epretot View Post
Regarding shutter assembly:

The reasons for not painting prior to assembly outweigh the benefits of pre-painting.

Rarely does the wood worker in me trump the painter. This is the rare instance. Do not pre-paint.
Well, that's what I said; just fewer words.
The Following User Says Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
epretot (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Troy

Rewards Points: 134
Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,122 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos
Default Sherwin Williams Kem Aqua

I am looking at the Sherwin Williams Kem Aqua Plus White WB Lacquer. also has the white primer to lay down under the lacquer....
It sounds like a great product - For those that have used it - any tips or things to consider when using this product?

-Pre-heat the paint to 90F, and have good heat & airflow when applying the paint. It's awesome stuff, but takes a while to get dialed in. Make sure to have good lighting in order to easily see your overlaps, because verticals can run if you're not right on the money.

-Butyl Cellosolve, (2%) mixed with distilled water, (2%), then very slowly incorporated into the paint will not only help with dry-spray issues, but it also makes the KA flow & level even better. This isn't required, and you can certainly try spraying it right out of the can, but you'll likely need too much psi without at least a little bit of reduction, which leads me to my next point.

-Use only as high of pressure as you need to achieve sufficient atomization. Beyond that, you're likely to experience microfoaming.

Spray the plantation shutters BEFORE assembly? YES
Spray them AFTER assembly. NO

Anyone that has sprayed successfully AFTER shutter assembly, or should I try to spray all the parts individually BEFORE assembly?

Not only will it be easier to spray before assembly, you'll want to spray everything you possibly can horizontal, since this stuff can run on you if you're not careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

Always a contrarian in the crowd, huh epretot?
stelzerpaintinginc. (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Troy

Rewards Points: 134
Thanked 2,553 Times in 1,122 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinger58 View Post
Always a contrarian in the crowd, huh epretot?
I was actually referring to making sure and spray them before installation, not necessarily before assembly. You guys win this round for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to stelzerpaintinginc. For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (01-22-2016)
Old 01-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelzerpaintinginc. View Post
I was actually referring to making sure and spray them before installation, not necessarily before assembly. You guys win this round for sure.
Whew! Thought we'd lost you to the young crowd there for a minute.

If you'd mentioned a foam roller, I was gonna write you off for good.
stelzerpaintinginc. (01-22-2016)

Tags
None