Spraying a metal sided pole barn - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dwallon60

Old 04-26-2018, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 436
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spraying a metal sided pole barn

So... I want to repaint my shop this year...

its 1650 sq ft, and 24' at the peak, 18' ceiling...

(outside)

Id like to spray it, I think it would make for a faster, better job, and I need the experience of spraying... I sprayed oil primer on all walls and ceilings in my new house, then sprayed latex on all ceilings and closets... and I sprayed moisturegard, and Masterhide Semi on the walls in the shops (OSB) 5+ Coats... (bought about 10 gallons too much, oh well lol)

the outside of the building is like tan almost biege, like the inside of an almond... with white trim... with a red roof... it looks ugly as crap..

I wants to paint it like a olive/forest green, with brown trim (theres a guy with in 5 miles of me with a pole barn with the color scheme and it looks good)

I know I need to pressure wash the exterior... no biggy there...

The building was put up in 2001.

I was thinking Ben Moore Aura.. for trim and body...

Should this be primed first? if so with what?

what tip do I use?

I have my 'new' graco sprayer that has only been used to do what was listed above... its a 390 i think? I bought the graco cause I have 100' (2) 50' hoses for it prior to buying it... lol anyway I know its not your big bad production sprayer, and I am ok with that as I am new to spraying with airless.

Any tips on this would be appreciated!

and its my own property so if I screw it up its not the end of the world
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 164
View dwallon60's Photo Album My Photos
Thumbs up Metal building

Be careful painting the exterior. If this is kynar (baked on enamel), you will need to prime with SW bonding primer (B66a50) or use Bondplex from SW. Once it is primed you are good to go with Aura. The other thing I would suggest is light coats. Metal buildings like to run.
Eagle Cap Painter likes this.
dwallon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25
View clermontpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Bondplex will work great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
clermontpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 436
View Worker Bee's Photo Album My Photos

I have no idea how the metal was finished, it could be powder coating, however I have done powder coating and this stuff doesnt chip like powder coating, it looks more like it was painted this color. will def look into bondplex tho
Worker Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 118
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I've had great success with Pitt-Tech primer and Pitt-Tech DTM...I've got buildings going on 7 or 8 years with that combination that are still looking good. It will cost less than Aura and is the appropriate product for the job.
ParamountPaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ParamountPaint For This Useful Post:
RH (04-29-2018)

Tags
None