Spraying with no ventilation - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree11Likes

Old 09-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 796
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spraying with no ventilation

How risky it is to spray in a relatively small area with no ventilation? I'll have a respirator with new cartridges. I've just realized I've sprayed myself into a corner. The amount of time it would take to mask to a window etc would be extremely cost prohibitive. Thinking of brushing instead but it's MDF and I'd like it smoooooooth.

House is being lived in but owners are on vacation, so it's just me. Spraying BIN and then Breakthrough. I'll be able to open a door after each coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 07:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

You gotta weigh that out. Would bomb cans do the trick?
If not, extinguish all sources of heat, spark, pilot lights on stove, water heater, furnace, etc....anything anywhere near your area if it makes sense to do so. No idea how big a space you've got so use your best judgement. Then spray away.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #3
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 14
View getrex's Photo Album My Photos

How about pointing a fan at the door from the outside? Might help to keep the fumes and whatnot from traveling everywhere.
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 268
View Haris's Photo Album My Photos

You should definitely get a couple of fans to get some air circulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Haris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #5

I have the small area completely masked off. If I open another room up so I can open an exterior door, I'm afraid the overspray will travel down that corridor and get all over everything. The time it would take to mask that area off would be ridiculous.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

You might get dain bramage. Nothing to worry about in your case. LOL!
804 Paint likes this.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,114
Thanked 9,545 Times in 5,411 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Check the SDS of the material you're spraying to determine what the PEL is for hazardous ingredients. Your APR ( Air Purifying Respirator) is only as good as there is a continuous 19-21% of oxygen in the space you are spraying in. Oxygen displacement can become a hazard when spraying in small areas.

A Supplied Air System would be another option for your application.

Last edited by CApainter; 09-15-2017 at 11:36 AM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CApainter For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,016
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Well, how long is gonna take to spray a coat? If its that small of an area, you should be in and out pretty quick.

Last edited by Woodco; 09-15-2017 at 11:41 AM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,114
Thanked 9,545 Times in 5,411 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
If its a small area, you'll be in and out in no time. I wouldnt worry about it.
That's what MAZZOU probably thought when he went up on that scaffolding without properly installed safety rails or fall restrictors. Safety should never be taken for granted. And the simple fact that 804 is inquiring about this situation, indicates he has a concern. Where there is a concern, there is a responsibility of the worker to seek a safe work practice.

OSHA has developed an archive of safe work practices based on "It'll be OK".
Worker Bee likes this.

Last edited by CApainter; 09-15-2017 at 11:48 AM..
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #10

Yeah, and OSHA goes WAY overboard sometimes too, creating more dangerous situations than if procedures are not followed, so I take that with a grain of salt. Also, you were reading my post before I edited it.

I guess I just have it in my head that the area is a lot smaller than it is. Im thinking "small area= very short spray time." Maybe my vision is nothing like the reality... In and out in a couple minutes or less, no harm no foul. If thats not the case, and its gonna be ten minutes of spraying; then yeah, you're absolutely right, get some ventilation.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 200
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Yeah, and OSHA goes WAY overboard sometimes too, creating more dangerous situations than if procedures are not followed, so I take that with a grain of salt. Also, you were reading my post before I edited it.

I guess I just have it in my head that the area is a lot smaller than it is. Im thinking "small area= very short spray time." Maybe my vision is nothing like the reality... In and out in a couple minutes or less, no harm no foul. If thats not the case, and its gonna be ten minutes of spraying; then yeah, you're absolutely right, get some ventilation.
Absolutely. Toe boards, double safety rails that make access onto the scaffolding more dangerous, are two that quickly come to mind.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #12

Default Spraying with no ventilation

I ended up finding a way to vent out to the garage. I am new at spraying interiors and I am paranoid of overspray settlement, especially with something like BIN

I'm glad I did… It did take a bit of time to spray these built-ins.

Another question I have is how do you all handle overspray dust settling on horizontal surfaces like the benches on these built-ins By the time I get to the horizontals, they are laden with overspray dust. With the prime coat, it's not a big deal because it get sanded anyway. But I'm really worried as to how the finish will turn out with all the overspray dust. It's almost like dryfall.

Old 09-15-2017, 03:18 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 200
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

The way I approach spraying is that anything I do not want oversprpay on gets covered. Those benches you could have put damp rags over if you didn't want to take the time to mask them. I find it is always worth the extra time to cover all the stuff you do not want misted with overspray, because you cannot control where it goes, especially when doing interiors. Assume it's going onto everything and plan accordingly.
lilpaintchic and Toolseeker like this.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 Paint View Post
I ended up finding a way to vent out to the garage. I am new at spraying interiors and I am paranoid of overspray settlement, especially with something like BIN

I'm glad I did… It did take a bit of time to spray these built-ins.

Another question I have is how do you all handle overspray dust settling on horizontal surfaces like the benches on these built-ins By the time I get to the horizontals, they are laden with overspray dust. With the prime coat, it's not a big deal because it get sanded anyway. But I'm really worried as to how the finish will turn out with all the overspray dust. It's almost like dryfall.

Finish coat will be a little different. It doesnt turn to dust as fast.

Now that I see what you're doing, I can say that A: I wouldnt have worried about ventilation. Wearing a respirator is fine. Always good to err on the side of caution though!

B; when you spray your topcoats, its not going to turn to dust like the bin. Bin dries superfast. Im wondering about your spray technique, if it was turning into dust so fast. I've sprayed a ton of stuff like that, and have not had a problem. Are you using an HVLP? personally, I find them to create more dust. I would be using an airless with a 410 tip. You can spray it out in about 30 seconds, and there wont be any dust, and any danger to your oxygen supply.

That being said, I actually do try to spray any BIN through a gravity feed cup, just so I dont have to clean it out of an airless.
lilpaintchic likes this.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #15
RH

Rewards Points: 10,206
Thanked 15,353 Times in 8,040 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
How risky it is to spray in a relatively small area with no ventilation? I'll have a respirator with new cartridges. I've just realized I've sprayed myself into a corner. The amount of time it would take to mask to a window etc would be extremely cost prohibitive. Thinking of brushing instead but it's MDF and I'd like it smoooooooth.

House is being lived in but owners are on vacation, so it's just me. Spraying BIN and then Breakthrough. I'll be able to open a door after each coat.

I dent thunk you hav a enythinc to worri uboute. I doo id alll thu tum und ime fin.
CApainter likes this.

Groucho Marx

Last edited by RH; 09-18-2017 at 08:18 PM..
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,142 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=RH;1477082][QUOTE=804 Paint;1475906]How risky it is to spray in a relatively small area with no ventilation? I'll have a respirator with new cartridges. I've just realized I've sprayed myself into a corner. The amount of time it would take to mask to a window etc would be extremely cost prohibitive. Thinking of brushing instead but it's MDF and I'd like it smoooooooth.

Quote:

I dent thunk you hav a enythinc to worri uboute. I doo id alll thu tum und ime fin.

Lmao. Nicely done, Dan.

lilpaintchic likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slinger58 For This Useful Post:
lilpaintchic (09-15-2017), RH (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 10:21 PM   #17

Oh, good God.... We're talking about a couple minutes of alcohol fumes, THROUGH A RESPIRATOR... I do worse than that at happy hour after work. We're painters for Christs sake.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #18
Red Seal

Rewards Points: 56
View Sn0man's Photo Album My Photos

Any particular reason you chose to use BIN? Don't get me wrong - BIN can be a great product for smoke sealing and tannin bleed, but overkill IMO for that kind of project.

Try this stuff next time if you get a chance: https://www.mlcampbell.com/product/a...plus-primer-2/

No solvents so no fire hazard. Blocks tannins. Dries fast and sands to a powder.
Sn0man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=slinger58;1477178][quote=RH;1477082]
Quote:

Lmao. Nicely done, Dan.

ROFLOLOLOLOL!!!! Well played indeed!
slinger58 likes this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
RH (09-18-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn0man View Post
Any particular reason you chose to use BIN? Don't get me wrong - BIN can be a great product for smoke sealing and tannin bleed, but overkill IMO for that kind of project.

Try this stuff next time if you get a chance: https://www.mlcampbell.com/product/a...plus-primer-2/

No solvents so no fire hazard. Blocks tannins. Dries fast and sands to a powder.
I would totally use that, but its not available in my area. Im about to start a huge trim job, and Im gonna use a PPG latex wood undercoater. Great stuff, except it doesnt block stains...

Does this product block stains as good as it says, cuz waterborne usually doesnt...

Tags
None