Spraying in an occupied House - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By lilpaintchic
  • 1 Post By Zoomer

Old 07-17-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,832
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spraying in an occupied House

I just bid on a large interior job. Basically all three floors of an infill.

This job is a referral so it's about 99% certain that I'll get the job.

Issue:

I just got a text and the homeowner says NOW he wants all the doors, crown molding, baseboards, frames and trim re-painted. Everything. Before it was just the walls and baseboards.

The house is occupied but they'll be leaving for vacation while the work is going on.

I really don't feel like spraying that much inside let alone in an occupied house. I'd still have second thoughts even if it was completely empty.

How many of you would take this job?

Turning down jobs like this makes me feel like a 2nd rate contractor. If I had a large crew I'd feel differently perhaps. I find bids like this very difficult to estimate in terms of prep time etc. I can't continue turning down these jobs or word will get around. Anyone else ever been in this boat?

Last edited by Mr Smith; 07-17-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 5,578
Thanked 15,399 Times in 8,076 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Just need to factor in plenty of plastic, tape, and the time to protect everything. They aren’t my favorite type of job to do either, but then I hate masking lots of stuff off.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Either you're comfortable and confident with the job or you just politely explain that due to the size of the project you may not be the best fit for the job. Knowing your limitations doesn't make ya 2nd rate, it makes you wise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
ridesarize, SemiproJohn and Mace like this.
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lilpaintchic For This Useful Post:
stelzerpaintinginc. (07-19-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 318
View Local paint pro's Photo Album My Photos

How big of an interior are you talking about? Are ceilings being painted? What products and colors and how many coats? What is time frame and how many people are on the crew? I run a small crew and interiors are my specialty. I don’t usually spray everything either..
Local paint pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 AM   #5
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,412
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Unless there is popcorn ceilings in the house I don't spray, just too much everything can go wrong. If you need to use some flotrol in the paint to retard the dry tine and help level the brush marks. Even smooth panel doors can be rolled with 1/4" rollers and look good. If you are using oil, god I hope not, use some penetrol in the paint.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,160
View Vylum's Photo Album My Photos

if you have lots of time bid high and do it. if timing will be an issue politely refuse. if trim colour change is drastic spray, if not brush.

if home owner is gone for a long time thats half the battle is getting those pesky creatures out of the way. bid 20% higher than you think
Vylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 526
View Zoomer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
I just bid on a large interior job. Basically all three floors of an infill.

This job is a referral so it's about 99% certain that I'll get the job.

Issue:

I just got a text and the homeowner says NOW he wants all the doors, crown molding, baseboards, frames and trim re-painted. Everything. Before it was just the walls and baseboards.

The house is occupied but they'll be leaving for vacation while the work is going on.

I really don't feel like spraying that much inside let alone in an occupied house. I'd still have second thoughts even if it was completely empty.

How many of you would take this job?

Turning down jobs like this makes me feel like a 2nd rate contractor. If I had a large crew I'd feel differently perhaps. I find bids like this very difficult to estimate in terms of prep time etc. I can't continue turning down these jobs or word will get around. Anyone else ever been in this boat?
If you are working by yourself, take two rooms at a time and block off the rest of the house with plastic. Spray doors in garage after setting up spray booth. Next prep and plastic two rooms, spray trim. Go to two other rooms and prep them.
Day two will be ceilings and walls in the first two rooms, followed by finishing prep in the second set of rooms. Next would be spraying doors in second set of rooms.
Start day 3 by going back to first two rooms and pulling all plastic and touching up. Put doors back into first two rooms.
Next go to second set of rooms and spray trim.
Next, start third set of rooms and repeat procedures. Its a tedious process but still a process that is reasonable for one person.
Of course it will take awhile but it is still manageable.
This process allows you to stay focused on a set procedure repeated over and over to achieve progress on the project with professional results.
Will you finish before the customer returns from vacation.
Maybe not, but communicate to them that you will do professional work and possibly could schedule parts of the house undone for another time soon thereafter.
Possibly the upper floor first followed by main floor areas such as kitchen and family room.
Phase two could be less occupied areas of main floor and basement.
A formula that works for me when working on my own
Good luck.
ridesarize likes this.
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomer For This Useful Post:
ridesarize (08-16-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 04:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 184
View Painterpaintspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I’m a one man operation and I love jobs like these. Lucky for you the homeowner will be out of town on vacation. Set aside 1-2 days solely for taping and masking. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
Painterpaintspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 28
View pjohnson1970's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with the above comments, if your not comfortable doing a job that doesn't make you second rate, I'd rather turn down a job than do it not whole hearted and then perform a second rate job on it.
pjohnson1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 435
View Krittterkare's Photo Album My Photos

If it is just crown trims and so on you could actually just bust out a 4 inch trim roller and go in to production mode then mask the trim to do the walls if that is the job.
Krittterkare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None