Spraying oil based polyurethane on rough cedar - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Painting Forum > General Painting Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By kmp
  • 1 Post By Delta Painting
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42
View bradleyheathhays's Photo Album My Photos
Default Spraying oil based polyurethane on rough cedar

Well it's me again with the inside part of my barn project. On these inside walls the owner wants to use an oil based Deft interior / exterior polyurethane..

My best advice from a PPG rep is to spray on the first coat. Let it cure for 24 hrs then pole sand the whole thing with 120 -220 grit (I'll be using 180). Then apply second coat.

Any advice on back rolling this or what kind of roller cover to use?

I'm all ears.
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,982
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I'd be tempted to use a big ass brush rather than a roller. And if its rough cedar, why would you pole sand it?
Wildbill7145 likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 844
Thanked 4,474 Times in 2,461 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Just from the picture, this doesn't look like the rough cut cedar I'm used to seeing around here used for siding. There's definitely no pole sanding for that. This stuff in the pic looks much smoother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,318
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Some horses like to eat the wood in their stalls and like the taste of oil base products, not the smartest animal in the barnyard.Might bring that up to the owner. Oil base poly is also kind of brittle and flakes when it fails and will be a maintenance nightmare. Sounds like the owner has spent to much time on the internet.
Woodco likes this.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmp For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 138
View Delta Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I keep scratching my head thinking who is dictating the job you the PRO or the owner. You should be telling them what to use inside and out. My customers pick color, sheen manufacture that's as far as I let them dictate what I use as a end product.

Do your research get the facts present your findings of the best coating to use...
Wildbill7145 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Delta Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #6

Yes I agree with everybody. The whole project seems wonky. But the people who are directing this have all been in the business doing these exact projects for decades. 30 year PPG traveling farm rep. for the interiors. 10 + farm paint rep from the company producing the exterior lacquer and latex barn paints. And this area's most experienced barn and fence painter of over 30 years.

Woodco. Sanding has been suggested by the 30 yr ppg rep. Haven't done this before so not sure why he's suggesting sanding other than the grains standing up between coats.

Wildbill. After looking at the pic closer I see what you mean. There's actually 2 different grades of cedar in that picture. The top horizontal beam is fairly smooth. The vertical planks are much rougher.

Delta thank you for the direction. Doing all I can right now to get up to speed on these exterior applications.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,982
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays View Post

Woodco. Sanding has been suggested by the 30 yr ppg rep. Haven't done this before so not sure why he's suggesting sanding other than the grains standing up between coats.

Your 30 year PPG rep either doesnt understand that its 'rough' cedar, or he's senile. The ONLY , and I mean ONLY reason to sand after the first poly coat is to sand the grain smooth. If its ROUGH cedar, not only is there no reason to sand, but it would screw up the wood. Im guesing he just doesnt realize you're talking about rough cedar.
cocomonkeynuts likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:38 AM   #8

I wish that were true, that he doesn't understand it's rough cedar. He's actually been on the site and seen what's going on.

In our first discussion he said you only need to sand the 'shiny spots' after the first coat. Not having done this before I'm not sure what he's talking about. Any clue what he meant by this?
Old 09-25-2018, 04:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 119
View BhamPainter's Photo Album My Photos

I guess it's hard to tell from your picture, but that really looks like reasonably smooth cedar to me. If the texture is truly rough, I don't think the pole sanding will really adequately sand in the grain of the wood, but the standard line with polyurethanes is to scuff the surface between coats. I know this is debated by many, however.

Like Woodco, I would use a big ole brush rather than a roller to work in the poly. 4-inch black china bristle, or tynex orel. Flat sash. Especially if it is rough, I would do at least three coats, too--the first one or two are really just going to soak into the wood.

As for the "shiny spots," here are my thoughts. Your first coat, especially on rough wood without a wood conditioner like Benite applied first, will be very uneven, due to the uneven porosity of the wood. Smoother, less porous areas will have some film build and be a bit shiny. Rougher, more porous areas will just suck the product up and remain dull. There's no need to sand the dull areas because there's not really any poly on the surface for you to scuff. The shiny areas, however, have some poly on the surface, which whould be sanded for optimal bonding between coats.
BhamPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 398
View Painting Practice's Photo Album My Photos

There is no reason to sand Deft unless you are looking for an ultra smooth finish. For bonding purposes Deft melts into the previous layer.

Last edited by Painting Practice; 09-25-2018 at 08:54 AM..
Painting Practice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 152
View SwampCat's Photo Album My Photos

order those 4" purdy factory reject swans that have been on ebay for months.Just brush it all inside and out.Enough talk time to paint.sand between coats?Lets not and say we did.Do you smoke pot? Go buy yourself a big bag of pot.
SwampCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None