Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Spraying walls on NC

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Oden 
#1 ·
Hi, I normally spray everything but walls on NC work. So, we spray our primer, ceilings, trim and built-ins, but have always taped off casing and base and cut and rolled the walls. How many folks on here spray the finish coat on walls of NC jobs???

What is the advantage of doing this? I imagine the finish looks great, but walls seem to go so fast anyway. Does a sprayed finish, and the speed of spraying, justify all of the additional masking at that point in a project, especially with several color changes in a custom home?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I think it can be justified, especially with multiple coats. The key for me is being able to shield the ceilings. I think if I had to mask ceilings, it wouldn't be worth the trouble in most situations. If your already masking off casing and base, extra masking would be minimal.

As far as a sprayed finish (no back roll),that can be done but its hard to pull off and makes touch up even harder. I don't like to do it except where a high sheen finish is required in critical light areas. Even then your sometimes better of to back roll.

A sprayed/rolled finish on walls can still look better though because there is no risk of hat banding at all. When all the paint goes on all at one time there can be no color or sheen discrepancies at the cut in overlap. Also a thicker coat can be archived by spray/roll.

I'll post this crappy video again as an example of how I spray walls.

http://youtu.be/JrVdDN2AbuU

#4 ·
Yeah, I meant to say that I would backroll as well, for touch ups and such, but in a custom home with several colors. Is any body spraying walls in those circumstances? I know of one company of old timers in my town who does. They mask ceilings too. I imagine the finish would look great, especially on big walls that catch a lot of light, but all of the masking and cleaning the sprayer would drive me nuts I think. I generally look forward to doing walls in an unmasked home once all the spraying is done and cracking a window or two :)

#5 ·
Sometimes. It sounds counterintuitive, but it works. Spray out the finish on the ceilings last. It is IMO easier to cover the walls with the easey mask than it is to cover the ceilings. Like when you used to popcorn is all. Ceilings last.

Very doable.

#6 · (Edited)
You about have to mask ceilings to do a spray only finish, or at least I do. Or do ceilings last like Oden said. Everything really has to be perfect to pull it off without showing any spray tracks.

Woodcoyote has some pics up of spray only finishes.

It's not any kind if time saver IMO. Just a specialty finish thing. I do like how it looks on enameled walls...at least for a high end custom finish. Blowing out apts is a different story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.